If It's Not Broke, Don't Fix it? What About the Roof?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Von Jones, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Being a homeowner can be mind boggling sometimes. My husband always tells me that I will hold on to anything until I can't use it anymore, literally. That maybe true to some extent but it doesn't apply to the upkeep and maintenance of the home.

This year will be the 15th year in our home. I've been checking out major stuff like the furnace, water heater, and the roof. From the inside of the house there is only one spot that has revealed a necessary repair on the roof. Something a little DIY can take care of but...I really can't tell with the rest of the roof. There's no leaks but it could be :confused:. Hence, if it's not broke don't fix it question.

The roof was inspected to be five years old when we bought the house. I suspect that it is time to invest in replacing it.

Any one have any advice on this?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you live anywhere where you have to deal with snow, get a metal roof. We replaced ours with a metal roof a few years ago and it's been great. We no longer have to worry about ice damming, and rarely even need to use the roof rake, since all it take is for the bottom surface to melt and the snow falls off of the roof. Metal roofs are a lot prettier now than they once were, too.

3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I have not seen a metal rood on a home in our area, I can see how having a metal roof can save on the upkeep of the property. We have a shingles roof which was replaced about 5 years ago due to hail damage. The big repair bill or this house is the garage doors, they have alsways been a problem for some reason, last summer we found termites eating the doors that have since fallen apart and need to be replaced.

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

A friend of mine had a metal roof (blue) put on her home. I wasn't there to see the work getting done though. I would have loved to have watched the progress. I think she said that blue was the cheapest and the color really didn't matter because it's not something you're going to be looking at every day. She herself worked in construction and did a lot of the renovations herself.

5. Ken Anderson

Here, at least, the price for a new metal roof, installed, is about the same as that of a shingled roof, and it will last a lot longer. We bought ours from the Amish, and hired a local sex offender to install it for us; since sex offenders have difficulty finding work here, they work cheap. Okay, I know that might sound bad, but it was an economically feasible thing to do. The Amish would also have installed the roof but it was cheaper to get the sex offender to do it.

6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken, it worked out for both parties involved. You saved money he earned money. As long as he was willing and able to do the work and you are satisfied with the end product that is all that matters.

7. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I have had more experience this last month on the topic of ice and roofs then any human should ever have. Ken while you are right that metal does not dam the same way as regular shingles it is still possible to have leakage due to ice. As some of you may recall I work a day job as a property manager and one of the things that has happened recently due to the intense amount of snow and cold we have had here in NY is roof leaking. In fact I have a condo that has had 10% of the units experience leaks from ice. In at least three cases the damage is severe.

Here is what did the worse, almost none of it was from the actual roof leaking, most of it resulted from ice backing up on the roof and pushing up under the vinyl siding and then running down the walls. Roofer channel joints where the roof meets the walls of the next level, but these channels are seldom higher then at best maybe 6-8". There was snow that drifted up on a daily basis at least two feet or better. So yea, if you do your roof think about the siding, if it is vinyl seriously consider removing a few rows additional and running ice shield up the sides a bit higher. That couple of hundred dollars or less if you DIY could save you thousands. Also check the chimney for re pointing. Brick and Mortar chimney's are only good about 10 years. If you wait 15 or better you are asking for serious trouble if you get a windstorm. More often birds get under the edges and they nest, this could be lethal for you and your family.

Von Jones likes this.
  8. Maureen Suggitt

Maureen Suggitt Veteran Member
    Registered

Where I live, the Insurance companies send out Inspectors every so many years to check the state of the roof and other yard liabilities like falling trees BEFORE they will renew our home owner policies. I am surprised that you have not had any such visits in the past. But 15 years on a roof is quite a bargain from my point of view in most areas. But it is a major home improvement so likely to be a large 'planned' purchase w/financing involved - it's also one of the most common uses of a second mortgage.

And there are pros and cons of both shingle and metal roofs so it makes good sense to brush up on the subject before asking for estimates.

9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I actually had switched insurance agencies and then new agency did send out an inspector. My old agency never did but I guess it based every thing on the home inspection when we bought the house. The inspection didn't require a new roof but it is time to get a new roof.

10. Ken Anderson

Our rates were lowered just a but after we got a metal roof. Possibly, they had been raised previously because of it being an old roof. Here, the come around once a year but never inside the house. They send someone over to take photos on all sides of the house.

11. Sheryll Green

Sheryll Green Veteran Member
    Registered

Hello Von,
    Based on what little knowledge I have about roofing materials it may be time to replace your shingles. It will depend on the type of shingle on the roof and the life expectancy of that particular shingle. Your roof is about twenty years old therefore, I would suggest finding a reputable (honest) roofing company to come and do an assessment. If they find any issues, perhaps they can do some patch work extending roof life before it outright needs to be replaced. If you or your husband have some knowledge and are comfortable with going on the roof and know what to look for, it could be a DIY project but please be careful up there! :oops:

12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Sheryll Green We won't be going on the roof because the roof has been completed! :D I was told there were four layers of shingles removed before the new shingles were placed. Not a good thing.

Now for on to the next 'professional' project siding or paint?

13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It depends on your state, but many states allow a second layer of shingles and many states do not. Louisiana, for one, allows 3 layers of shingles.
    Check the laws and if you can get away with simply putting anther layer on the roof, it will cost at least half of what the whole job would be. Removal time costs a lot per hour.
    It's been a while since I shingled a roof, but I used to pay about $20 a square for fiberglass inlaid vinyl (a square = 10'x10' or 3 bundles) and unless your roof has a heck of a pitch it's an easy job. lay and nail, lay and nail. The existing shingles serve as your lines so you don't even have to buy a chaulk line. Have fun! BTW........the top of a roof is a great place to get a sun tan!!

14. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

It was raining so hard yesterday. When I reached home, I got this news that there was water coming down from the roof of our terrace. Upon inspection, we found out that the down spout was clogged with leaves coming from the nearby bamboo grove. The bamboo leaves were a lot that it covered the drainage and prevented rainwater from moving. And when the water in the roof canal overflowed, it entered the ceiling of our terrace hence the leak. It was cleared now and we have instructions to the housemaid to clear up that area once in a while.