Ice Storm....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Will Lawrence, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

Lost power at 10 a.m. this morning. Came back on at 7 p.m. Many in our area won't have power restored until sometime tomorrow... if then. Lots of tree and highline damage from ice buildup.

They say Kansas lost more in traffic accidents this past weekend due to icy roads than we lost in tornados this year. Jackknifed trucks on I-70... Lots of roll-over accidents. Black ice... sheet ice. Just a tough weekend for travelers.

Wife and I ended up reading most of the day. Both had library books and the house stayed fairly warm. Temps outside hovered just at the freezing mark. I did leave for about half an hour to run to the library. Then, about 5 p.m. it was getting dark enough we could no longer read. Daughter and her family live just a few blocks from us and they had power. Went over there and "entertained" granddaughters and granddog until power back on at home. Granddaughters were keyed up since school has been already cancelled for tomorrow.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

As long as nobody was hurt or any damages, sounds like you had managed/survived quite well!

Im sure the grandkids are thrilled with a snow day off from school!

My California grandsons arent so lucky....the ones in Illinois sometimes get a snow day or two!

3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Be safe, Will. Lucky little granddaughters and granddog.

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Ice storm there while we are having a drought here. Last night, the news report on tv about climate change caught my attention. The typhoon Yolanda of 2013 was mentioned as one proof of the harsh climate change. Take note, harsh, so we'd better be prepared. And what to do? The government should be making some preparations for unprecented harsh effects of climate change like strong typhoons, tornadoes and extended drought that could decimate the crops. It is a scary news report that I shivered upon realizing that we are having a drought now that cannot be felt yet but come to think of it, no typhoon yet and it's already December. Quite scary.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's so weird. Here I am in the middle of Maine, and we've had snow only three times this year, and we have nothing on the ground right now, as it all washed away during a few days of rain and 50 degree temperatures.