Ibc Root Beer

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Years ago, when I was working for the City of Los Fresnos, Texas, I was teaching an EMT course in the Los Fresnos Public Library after the library closed at night.

One day, the city manager called me into his office to say that he had received several reports that my students were drinking beer at the library, and he wanted to warn me that alcohol was prohibited on the library grounds.

I was confused, knowing that EMT students are generally a pretty tame crowd, one that included a couple of cops; and also because I was the one teaching the class, there weren't very many of us, and I was outside with them during breaks. I promised to pay extra attention but suggested that the reports were undoubtedly wrong.

The next class night, I noticed that the IBC root beer that my students, as well as myself, were buying from the gas station across the street from the library came in bottles that looked like they could be beer bottles. They were, in fact, beer bottles, but not the sort that included alcohol.

I am reminded of this from the fact that I am drinking IBC root beer right now. It's not as good as the stuff my father made, but it's pretty good.

ibc.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The EMTs were being judged by their beers! The solution was as easy, as IBC!;)

[​IMG]

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

O I C what you did there, Joe! :)

I don't like root beer, never did. Never liked cream soda either. Neither drink is refreshing in my opinion.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:I went shopping at Walgreens this week and they have an in-store special of 20 oz. plastic bottles of A & W Rootbeer on sale for just .99. Since they have diet one I got me couple of them. I saw A & W Creme Soda too and did not notice any diet ones...I love creme soda to the max, so I'm going again if I've time today to see if I missed any diet creme soda for just .99. That's quiet an experience with the root beer soda!

Joe Riley likes this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

George Jones / Root Beer

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

With sodas in general, but particularly the heavier ones, like root beer and creme soda, they have to be very cold in order for me to enjoy them. I don't like any sodas in plastic bottles because, not only does there seem to be a taste that I don't like, but it seems to be impossible to get the drink cold enough. I can put them in the freezer so that ice has developed inside, and they still don't taste cold enough. Next, as far as containers go, are aluminum cans. I can drink sodas in aluminum cans, but nothing beats glass. A chilled soda in a glass bottle is perfectly cold and refreshing. I could probably put a frosty mug ahead of that, but that's particularly true with root beer, but A&W probably got me used to that.

Terry Page and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I never drink any sodas anymore but when I did I never bought them in the big plastic bottles because after the first drink they always tasted flat to me. I like drinking from cans, I used to be a Fresca addict.

Terry Page likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Yum, I love root beer and cream soda, they're two of my favorites. I also like Dr Pepper/Thunder/K, whichever generic one I find. IBC is particularly good, but I also like Dads, A&W and Hires, as well as most other brands, including generic. I don't drink much soda, but when I do, those are some of my favorites, as well as orange, grape, and ginger ale. I'm not supposed to have any caffeine, and most of those (minus the Dr Pepper varieties) tend to be caffeine-free, except Barq's which has caffeine for some reason. It doesn't surprise me that someone would jump to conclusions down in the RGV. I love the place and the people, but they do tend to jump to conclusions and enjoy a good piece of gossip.

Sheldon Scott and Terry Page like this.
  9. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

It's rare to find any soda pop, coke, soft drink, etc. in our house. Cream soda is my favorite and root beer is a close second. About once or twice a year we will get root beer and add ice cream to make floats. The only other time we might drink soda pop is when we are traveling we will get one when we stop for gas.

I remember well as a youngster, stopping at the A&W stand and getting a frosty mug of root beer.

Joe Riley likes this.