I Voted In Person Today

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Ed Wilson, May 17, 2022.

1. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

The last 2 elections I used a mail-in ballot due to covid like a lot of people did, but since covid is not such an issue anymore and to reduce the possibility of fraud, I went in person.

We got new electronic voting machines to replace the previous electronic machines. You make your choices on a touch screen then review and submit. It prints out a paper copy which you review again and then place into a reader which enters your choices. There is now a paper trail if there are any issues which wasn’t possible before with the other machines.

The outcome should be interesting. Cathy Barnette, who's running for senate is in a neck and neck race with Oz and McCormick and she only spent a fraction of what the others spent who only now have noticed and have run the first negative ads about her since she is now a threat.

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Me, too. I early voted last time but this time I didn't make up my mind who to vote for until yesterday.

One man that I was going to vote for said that God spoke to him and told him to run. :confused::eek: I just saw that yesterday.

I think politicians should keep their religion separate from politics.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm registered to vote here in Florida (as an Independent) but not sure I'll bother with it going forward. Now that we have seen that what we do is largely symbolic, I just don't have the energy...

Marie Mallery and Ed Wilson like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

“The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men do nothing. (Burke)

Until I can personally prove that voting is symbolic, I’ll keep voting.
    There’s a whole lot of fighters who get beat before they even enter the ring just because they heard they were going to lose.

6. Hoot Crawford

Registered

"If voting made a difference, they wouldn't let us do it."

Mark Twain

YMMV

John Brunner and Ed Wilson like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Do what ya want Hoot. That’s why we’re called a free people.
    Personally, I’ve found that when I have some skin in the game, I feel more comfortable exercising my 1st Amendment rights when I voice my opinion(s).
    Now, that isn’t saying that if I don’t vote I don’t have a right to an opinion because again, we’re a free people.

The difference being that I’m not going to allow rhetoric to influence how I exercise my rights. If someone tells me that there’s a lion at the door I have the choice of either going back to bed or opening the door and taking my chances with the lion.

I’d rather take my chances with the lion.

Ed Wilson and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Hoot Crawford

Registered

Thanks - I plan on it...

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

No need to thank me Hoot. Thank the people who fought and died for you to have that right.

Ed Wilson and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

There is no evidence that Mark Twain said that but then, Mark Twain never said anything.
    But, just as a side, Samuel Clements was a registered Voter (R) in Utah County, Utah and according to his voting record, he voted.

And do pray tell sir: Other than, “Your Milage May Vary” what do you mean by YMMV?

11. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Rush called certain voters “low information voters”, and that’s the reason money tends to win elections I believe. More money means more ads more often to reach more voters more often. If I worked I probably wouldn’t know who else was running besides those with deep pockets who run ads constantly for me to see during my off time. Currently, the big spenders Oz and McCormick are locked in a tie and Barnett who spent less, is 5% in voter totals behind.

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The winner of North Carolina's primary elections? Big, outside money.

Political groups based outside of North Carolina poured millions of dollars into the state to help their preferred candidates in senate and congressional races. And on Tuesday night, that financial assistance proved decisive as many candidates with the most outside support won their races.
    In the state’s Republican U.S. Senate primary, U.S. Rep. Ted Budd was also buoyed by an endorsement from Trump and support from Club for Growth, which spent more than $12 million helping him beat two higher-profile candidates—former North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory and former U.S. Rep. Mark Walker.

Quote from Pat McCrory:
    “We're going against the typical inside Washington people who think they can buy a U.S. Senate seat, and my message to them is North Carolina Senate’s seat is not for sale and neither am I,” McCrory said...... It seems that he was wrong about that. ^^^

It's not that I disagree with what the Club for Growth stands for. I pretty much do. But Pat McCrory is a good, conservative, honest man who was a governor who stood for his principles. He would have made a good senator. They ran ads with lie after lie about him. That pisses me off big time. For the first time ....maybe ever... I'm thinking about voting Democrat in November.

Ed Wilson and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've had issues with my state-level and local-level Republican Party as well. The arrogant jerks sometimes often think we are here to fund their activities and to stay out from under foot, especially with our primaries. There are a few state delegates here who have earned our trust because of their personal ethics. This trust is not a resource that belongs to the Party to use for their own purposes, especially when it comes to mandating personal endorsements of other candidates out of "party loyalty."

I know it's "politics," but this stuff makes me angry, especially during the primaries, where it's supposed to be "just family" and 100% under our control.

Regarding voting habits: I've voted for my share of lower-case 'd' democrats here in Virginia in years past. That was when you voted for the candidate and not against the opposite party. Gee, what a concept.

Ed Wilson and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

That’s one of the things I.liked about Trump before the 2016 primaries. He financed his campaign with his own money which got him out of the contribution trap that many politicians have found themselves in.
    It wasn’t until he got the nod that he started using contributions to help finance his run.

Tom Galty and John Brunner like this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Bobby as early as 10 years ago I would agree with you, and I like Edmond? Burke but the way things have gone since, I don't plan on voting. We don't live in a nation anymore, we don't even have borders which made us a nation.
    Maybe I shouldn't post since I'm so upset now about living in an insane twilight zone..