I Think Puzzles Are Entertainment, So

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Denise Evans, May 23, 2016.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

..thought I'd tell you folks that like to do puzzles, there is a free site. I go there at least once a day just to kill a few minutes. Plus the puzzles are gorgeous, and all sorts of themes. I'll post a pic of the one I just finished. It's all free though, and you don't even need an account, no sign in, just put the puzzles together. I can help you if anyone gets lost trying to figure things out. I did for awhile, then I got the hang of it;)

http://thejigsawpuzzles.com/

Here's the one I did today. If you do give them your email, they'll send one each day, but I like to find my own for the most part;)

photo of puzzle.png

K E Gordon, Diane Lane and Babs Hunt like this.
  2. Denise Evans

Registered

Here's the puzzle I did this a.m. These (100 piece "classic" styles) are taking me right at 30 min. pretty much. If you select the spiral, or mosaic, those are harder. You can also select it be cut into more pieces. I like the 100 piece, holds my attention the best, LOL!

There basically only 3 steps to put one together (remember, no sign up)

I will show pic by pic how to do the puzzles, with instructions. I know no one may be interested, but in case they are, it will be easier if I show you how "easy" these are to do, although you can complicate them for a challenge if you like;) Denise PS I will get the instructions together, then list them in next post here;)

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

In the autumn I have been known to throw open the door to my sun room to allow the cool breeze in and put a puzzle together. Usually the puzzle is one with a picture that reminds me of fall. It is very peaceful to work on a puzzle and listen to the changing season outside.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Denise Evans

Registered

Hi Beth,

Yes, it is nice to put hard-copy puzzles together. I can keep my card-table up, and just work on them whenever the urge hits;) I live close to the Senior Center and you can get free puzzles, but what we all do is exchange them, or sort of check them out on the honor system. So if I don't have one I haven't worked, I can always go down there;)

I've been trying to put a tutorial together for the online jigsaws for those that want to try them;) Maybe today I'll get it done:)

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

With the prevalence of electronic gadgets, it seems to me that people, particularly the younger generation, are more preoccupied in computer games and apps than the traditional board games and puzzles. I don't think the popularity of the jigsaw puzzle would ever come back. It had its time before and maybe that's just it.

There was a time in the office that we were doing a giant jigsaw puzzle (I forgot how many pieces, hmm, maybe 2,000 or more). The puzzle was spread on a vacant table and we employees would go there during breaks to contribute a piece or two. It took about 2 or 3 months before the puzzle was completed. Can you imagine the length of time spent on bonding with that puzzle? That was a nice moment to remember.

Diane Lane and Denise Evans like this.
  6. Denise Evans

Registered

That sounds wonderful @Corie Henson. There are so many things I miss about the good ole days:( or reminisce about. Some of my fave memories are of walking into my grandmother's and seeing the jigsaw puzzle sitting on a card-table where her and my grandpa would work on it from time to time. My sister still keeps a puzzle set up on a card-table, and she works on it when the urge hits her:) There's a nice, large community area on the bottom floor of this senior apartment building, and folks do jigsaws everyday. They have 2 double tables that are only for puzzles;)

I am grateful my generation didn't have what today's has. We played outside til the Sun went down, and on weekends, we went outside after breakfast, always, unless it was pouring rain, or snow. And even then, we could stay out for awhile anyway, come in and get dry and warm, then go back out. It was wonderful.

Corie Henson likes this.
  7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I like electronic games and such, but there's nothing like putting your hands on the pieces and physically trying them out to see if they fit. I like the satisfaction of finding one I've searched long and hard for, and finally find the right piece to pull a whole section or even the entire puzzle together. I'll have to check this site out when I get some free time. Here's my Kelly, not long after she found me. Kelly with Puzzle.jpg

8. Denise Evans

Registered

Oh I love the photo @Diane Lane !! ;) I agree about putting a hard-copy puzzle together;) I think there is room for things electronic, but I hope we all keep a balance. I am headed to church soon, and I've only been there 2 times so far. I hope to meet some other ladies that might like to get together and maybe do something. I think something like a Card-night, or even puzzle-night;) I like to get outdoors so something like that as well. I'm just 2 miles from the beach, probably less actually. I think quilting, or some sort of craft would be fun to do with others. I spend way too much time alone. It's not that easy to find others that are pretty, much alone too though. They are either married, or maybe have grandchildren etc.

I'll keep trying though. I like being able to get on here and type to you all, but I need more, that balance I am talking about:) Here's a photo of the beach near where I live. I go down often, but always by myself. I'll keep trying though;) If any of you get together with others, I'd love to hear about it, if it's just for tea, crafts, a walk, whatever;) Denise PS There are long-stretches of beach to walk on as well, but I wanted to show you one with some rocks, they are so pretty:)

80.jpg

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That picture is SO beautiful, @Denise Happyfeet , and I just love walking on beaches also. That is one of the things that I miss most out here in northern Alabama, is that we are not anywhere nearly close enough to go to the ocean.
    If i lived close to you, I would for sure be out there walking along the beach with you when you go ! !

Bobby and I have talked about a mini-vacation to go to the ocean beaches in southern Alabama. We would take either the bus or the train down there, spend the night and then come back home the next day or so.
    The problem (besides the expense of such a trip) would be what to do with the dogs.
    We would not want to leave them with anyone, and we don't know of anyone here that we would want to take care of them while we were gone; so overnight travel for both of us is pretty much out of the question.
    I loved the beaches of Washington and Oregon when i used to live out on the West coast, and the ocean was within easy driving distance.
    If i were ever going to just pick a place to live, it would be near Astoria Oregon. The whole area is beautiful, with beaches all up and down the coast from there, awesome lighthouses to see, and the weather is pretty much perfect, too.

10. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I have never been that much of a puzzle person, as I can get frustrated trying to put them together. I do have a puzzle site on my kindle, but after downloading it, I realized you had to pay for it! I enjoy word puzzles more and am a big fan of Words With Friends. Paint by Number is a hobby I like. I just don't know about puzzles..Thank you for the site though..I will check it out! It was nice of you to post it!

Denise Evans likes this.
  11. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

You remind me of our rented house (circa 1996). My sister's kids were grade schoolers who take their summer vacation in our home. They have playmates there, the 3 kids in the neighbor. It was a fun summer for them, maybe 3 or 4 years. But what's really fun was when we played street games....with me and my husband joining as team captains. Not only the kids but also us adults had a wonderful time playing those traditional games. It was a heck of a time that those kids who are all grown up now still vividly remember those street games.

I wonder if the kids today still remember those street games. I see them now as engrossed in electronic gadgets. Poor children, they are missing a lot.

12. Denise Evans

Registered

I don't think kids are "introduced" to any sort of playing outdoors, only those blessed to be raised in the country, where they still have chores to do etc., learn to have fun without gadgets. Even children on farms and ranches or maybe in very, small towns, still have internet though. Although, I think it's a blessing in disguise if a family can't afford all those gadgets.

I remember griping when I couldn't have the new bikes, or the new clothes some of the kids had. There's a lot to be said for not having much. We had to invent our games, and make do with what we could find:) We built forts, and our horses were just sticks with strings for reins. Those times/memories are priceless to me:)

Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Diane Lane

Registered

That's a gorgeous beach, @Denise Happyfeet. It looks like a great place to walk. I'd definitely be taking advantage of that if I had it nearby. There's one down the street here, but it's difficult to get a parking spot, and walking all of the way up there and back carrying gear isn't going to happen. I usually end up going in the off season, which is nicer anyway, when it's much more peaceful.

Denise Evans likes this.
  14. Denise Evans

Registered

Hi @Diane Lane, I don't take the advantage I should living so close. Take it for granted I think. But when I do get down there it is a joy for sure;) We are having some nice weather too.

Diane Lane likes this.
  15. Diane Lane

Registered

If you started going there or to the local parks/walking trails, assuming you have some, you might end up meeting like minded people you could hang out with. The libraries here have a lot of social/educational type events as well. Back home, I would take classes sometimes with the continuing education places, and always met nice people. I prefer not to socialize much with the people I live around here in this neighborhood, because a lot of them have different values, but I'll sometimes stop and talk to people on the walking trails.

Denise Evans likes this.