I Picked A Peck Of

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Sheldon Scott, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually I only picked a bit more than two pints of Tabasco peppers. I canned one pint of red ripe ones and one pint of green ones. There's still a lot of small ones on the plant but I expect frost will get it soon.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Our tomatoes and peppers have already died and turned blackish. It happened a couple of weeks back when we had that last cold snap, and we had picked all of the tomatoes before that happened.
    Bobby is starting a new project (now that he is done with the front porch), and he is going to make a small greenhouse out behind the garage/shop.. There is about 10' of empty space between there and the back fence, and it is pretty much just wasted space; but in the spring, it gets all of the afternoon sun until all of the trees leaf out.
    By the time that happens, most things should be able to be planted anyway.
    This year, the squirrels ate everything that had a seed large enough for them to find, sunflowers, squah, cucumbers, beans, etc.
    With the greenhouse, we should be able to start some of those seeds inside in plantable starter pots, and then set them outside once they are growing.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

May I ask how you can the peppers? We have a prolific pepper plant that is by the kitchen window. Although sometimes we make chili sauce after harvesting but canning is a different way of preserving the pepper. The plentiful red berries are nice to look at and I am always tempted to harvest. However, I’m not keen in making chili sauce because we can only use that on occasions unlike the tabasco style of hot sauce.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Corie, when I only have a pint or two of peppers I don't use the canner. I wash the peppers and stuff them into pint jars then fill the jars with vinegar. I then dump that into a pot and heat to boiling. Meanwhile I also heat the jars, lids and bands in hot water. I then pour the peppers and vinegar into the jars and put on the lids and screw on the bands. let them sit without bothering them until completely cooled. Test to be sure they sealed.