I Love Curry!

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Richard Paradon, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

I love curry! It is easy to make, there are no set rules on the vegetables or meat you use and always is delicious! If you don't eat meat, no problem, just use veggies!
    Today I am using some potatoes, carrots, chicken winglet’s (or if you are Thai, chicken wing sticks) and some kale. I also have a about two cups of UNSWEETENED coconut milk, and a package of yellow curry. Although I enjoy making things from scratch, curry is just too hard for me and never taste as good as what a Thai company can make. Also, unseen, is about two cups of stock which I have saved for emergencies and to drink (kudos to @Bobby Cole). I added the stock because there were too many vegetables in the wok to boil.

Cut up the veggies in large chunks. The kale I just pulled apart and chopped the stems into little pieces. Now that was hard, wasn’t it!

[​IMG]

Squeeze out the curry paste into a wok and slowly pour the coconut milk over it. I say slowly because it always wants to splash over the stove. Using a slotted spoon, mix it all together.

[​IMG]

When that is complete, just add the chicken and veggies and boil until the carrots are soft enough to eat. I use the carrots as a guide as they are the hardest ingredient.

[​IMG]

One of the favorite Thai expressions is “Up to you!” and since this is mostly a Thai dish, you get it twice. The first is how thick do you want the curry. If you like it thicker than it is now, just remove the ingredients and boil it down. That’s why I cut the veggies big.

Now the second “Up to you” is the final seasoning of the curry. I added about a spoonful of lemon juice and a half spoon of fish sauce. If you are not familiar with fish sauce, please us it sparingly as it smells pretty bad and give a very salty taste to the food. You can also use plain soy sauce or anything else that you enjoy.

You can eat it as a soup or dish it out over some steamed rice.

[​IMG]

2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't had real curry but I do like hot and spicy food. We use a lot of herbs and spices in our food as well as hot peppers.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  3. Richard Paradon

Registered

[QloOTE="Sheldon Scott, post: 5709, member: 65"]I haven't had real curry but I do like hot and spicy food. We use a lot of herbs and spices in our food as well as hot peppers.[/QUOTE]
    I love hot and spicy food. If I ever had to go back to the States, I think the food would bore me.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I love hot and spicy food. If I ever had to go back to the States, I think the food would bore me.[/QUOTE]

Hot and spicy is finally becoming popular in the States these days. It always has been popular for some of us.

5. Richard Paradon

Registered

WhenUOTE="Sheldon Scott, post: 5783, member: 65"]I love hot and spicy food. If I ever had to go back to the States, I think the food would bore me.[/QUOTE]

Hot and spicy is finally becoming popular in the States these days. It always has been popular for some of us.[/QUOTE]
    When I lived in Arizona l had many Mexican friends and always would hang out in their kitchens when their grandmother's were cooking!

6. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Being a vegetarian, Indian food is among my favourites because most of it is veggie. I usually make a curry about every two or three weeks and there are so many variations that it never gets boring.

I've been lucky enough to visit more than 40 countries and can safely say that the best for food was Sri Lanka. The curries there were an absolute dream, especially when you could follow them with the local fruit. I'll have to stop here because my mouth is watering uncontrollably.