I Love Cozy Mysteries, But..

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Denise Evans, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

..I am wondering if anyone knows how to find good audio books? I have a library2go account (with Overdrive) and I can check out lots of books there. Most of my books, well, maybe half and half, come through Barnes and Noble. Nook books are real inexpensive, like 2.99 to maybe 8.99, the latter being the most I've payed.

So anyway, I like "being read to" LOL!! I realized it is a nice way to go to sleep at times, is to "listen" to a book, instead of read one.

I was trying to search online for narrators, and will probably continue that route to find some good reviews on people that narrate. A bunch of my fave books by Sue Henry come in audio, but the narrator is awful. She tries to sound like the man in the books, then the woman, etc. It's hoaky.

Denise

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never listened to an audio book, can't even imagine what it's like...maybe I should use that fall asleep at night.

3. Denise Evans

Registered

4. Denise Evans

Registered

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I guess the right voice is important.

6. Denise Evans

Registered

I'm still looking, but found a lot of narrators at least. Do you remember ever hearing Garrison Keillor? He did the Lake Wobegon stories??

7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've noticed that my library has quite a few of the audio books. I don't like them, personally, because I want to be engaged with a story, and it never fails that on the few occasions I've tried them, my brain seems to instantly begin shutting down and I drift right off to sleep. I sometimes see advertisements about learning through audio books, and of course the first thing I imagine is me listening to one, and dozing off behind the wheel. I get an email daily about low cost or free Kindle books, from Bookbub, and when I click and go to Amazon, it seems most have an audible version you can select, but they seem to cost an additional $1.95 or more.

8. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

The wife and I listen to them on CDs, in the car, when traveling long distances. Makes the time go by faster, or so it seems.

Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  9. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't listen to audio books, but the big one in the UK is audible.co uk. There is a US site, too, audible.com.