I Like To Do Puzzles, Do You Or Don't You?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Von Jones, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

do you mean "take your own photo" and make it into a puzzle @John Brunner ? I'll go see if I can or not. Yes, you can't on this site, I should have checked that for you ;)

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Denise Evans

Here's a list of the ones I Bookmarked, in order of preference:
    Free online jigsaw puzzles | Jigidi.com (create your own)
    Jigsaw planet (create your own)
    Free Jigsaw Puzzles online - Mostly 100+ pieces (create your own)
    Puzzle Garage-(large puzzles that cite the no of pieces) (cannot create your own, multi-player option)
    Jigsaw Explorer – (No number of pieces cited) (create your own, multi-player option)

These were randomly grabbed when I first searched. There are tons of these sites out there.

The last one looks like you can create a puzzle for your exclusive use, or you can make it publicly available. I think the rest of the "create your own" are always made publicly available, but since I've not signed up on any of them, I don't have 1st-hand details.

So let me ask: how to you do those larger puzzles on the limited computer screen space?

Von Jones likes this.
  3. Denise Evans

Registered

I really liked doing that with my own pics too @John Brunner and on the site I use you can save them on there, and I think you have the option to allow others, or not, to put them together. One size never fits all, or usually doesn't, so I hope you find the right one for you. I'm glad I didn't feel the need to look further because it's like clothes shopping if there is too much to choose from, lol, I go home empty-handed.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

It's hard for me to figure out ahead of time which jigsaw puzzles will be hard, and which ones easy. This one was advertised online. First impression? :eek: But I bet it would be easy.

upload_2023-3-2_12-17-26.png

Von Jones likes this.
  5. John Brunner

I like this site, Nancy, because they have puzzles from only a few pieces to hundreds (or more) of pieces. They also have some of the same puzzle in different degrees of complexity:

puzzles.jpg

Von Jones and Nancy Hart like this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

@John Brunner
    I just did a 300 piece randomly chosen puzzle on that website. It took me 1 hr 20 mins. :rolleyes: Time mostly spent moving pieces around. It should have been easy. I don't like that you can't see all the pieces at once. One easy thing is all the pieces are oriented correctly already, i.e. top side is pointed up. I also like the way it grabs the pieces when you get near the correct spot. ;)

upload_2023-3-2_15-22-59.png

Von Jones likes this.
  7. John Brunner

I've yet to try a large puzzle on any site for that very reason. Did you know you can zoom out to see more (albeit tinier) pieces? And you can display the picture to get a frame of reference, then hide it again to have more room.

This site might be easier for doing larger puzzles because (1) the pieces are not initially piled on top of each other (laid out side-by-side), and (2) there is a Hand icon so you can click on pieces one at a time, they disappear (as though you used the Cut function), then you click the Hand on an empty spot, click and lay those pieces down one at a time (in reverse order) wherever you wish. You gotta play with it, but it's way easier that dragging, and you can do a whole bunch at once.

Von Jones and Nancy Hart like this.
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

My life is a jigsaw puzzle and I am purposely mixing up the last remaining pieces so they won't fit for at least 28 years. :D

Von Jones and Don Alaska like this.
  9. John Brunner

@Denise Evans

Thank you so much for doing that!!! I would never have used that site if you had not done this, because I was unaware of those features. I think it will become my favorite. I didn't get past the first page because I did not know I could choose the number of pieces for each puzzle. As I've said, I don't do much over 75 pieces because of screen space...and I have a 21"x12" monitor.

That ability to click 'n drag a bunch of pieces is a feature I've actually been looking for. The same goes for "Edges Only," except that I did encountere that at another site.

Regarding that "Edges" button...you can click on it anywhere, and it toggles between "Edges Only" and "All Pieces." The icon changes so you know which mode you're in, but those changing pics are all part of the same toggle button...the pics don't do anything, they are just a Status Indicator.

puzzle edges pairr.jpg

I really appreciate this, Denise. I looked at so many sites in a cursory way, I did not think to dig deeper as you have done.

Denise Evans likes this.
  10. Denise Evans

Registered

I'm glad you actually got to see the video as it would not load for me here on the site! I thought I'd done something wrong uploading it to youtube. That's great you like it John, thanks so much for letting me know. I guess I'll add the link back if others can open it ;) Denise PS well that's weird, if I click on the bottom right where it says Youtube, it opens up fine on Youtube, it just won't play here on the site. @Yvonne Smith will probably know what the deal is. She knows a bunch about youtube vids ;)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
    John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

@Michelle Anderson

You need to rescue me from the Wordle wormhole. I am hooked, but it seems the more I play the worse I get (either that, or the words get harder.) My first several rounds I never had to go beyond the 3rd step to get the word. Now I'm almost always solving at Step 5...and there have been a few I did not solve (daggone words that either begin with a vowel or use the same vowel twice.)

Denise Evans likes this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Denise Evans

Registered

My screen is a 21 inch as well @John Brunner by the way and it's where I play all my games as my laptop is capable but just a 17 in. That puzzle site has a couple buttons I haven't used so far, but will now thanks to your info. The "full-screen" in lower right, and the preview upper right, click green arrow. The latter is just like we would use the top of the box as a guide in a table-puzzle. Now you got me exploring more features ;) Thanks much! PS I also found where to try out Wordle that works for me!

14. John Brunner

Here is the Wordle site. The depth of the wormhole is in direct proportion to your impulse control (or lack thereof.)

Denise Evans likes this.
  15. Denise Evans

Registered

LOL, lack thereof for me, thanks John ;) but I'll check it out too!

John Brunner likes this.