I Just Realized, I Have No Hobbies

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Carol Cook, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am not sure that you can call volunteering a hobby; but it can be very fulfilling, if you enjoy doing that.
    When I was in Idaho, I volunteered at the local Sheriff Department. Mostly, I worked in the dispatch area, and I would help with the filing and things that needed done that dispatchers didn't always have time to get taken care of, especially when they had a busy night.
    Sometimes, I got to help with the actual dispatch, and I really enjoyed that part.

When we had a local event, like the county fair, then the reserves were sent out as part of the security detail for the fair.
    I didn't wear a weapon; but I had my badge, uniform, and 2-way radio, and I could help people who needed information, or had lost a child or other family member.
    This was a great plan, because we could have more of a security patrol at the fair, and the regular deputies could still do their job of patroling on the road as well.
    Sometimes, we would ride along with the road deputy. I would go along when they were transporting a prisoner somewhere out of town (to another jail or a prison somewhere), and that helped the deputy out, and still only used up one of the regular deputies to do it.

I think that there are all kinds of places that need volunteers, if a person is interested in doing that kind of thing. Churches and rescue missions who feed the homeless always are glad to have help with food preparation as well.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Von Jones , Ok I waited all day for you to come back and tell us what things you dreamed of doing. So now my curiosity is up. What dreams have you fulfilled, and which ones are still out there waiting in line for you to discover?

There are things I still wish to do, like getting over being a techie zombie, make a couple more programs for the VA residents, and I'd love to dance again. But, that last one will just have to remain a dream.

Von Jones likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

Also, animal shelters always need helpers.

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Ina I. Wonder. Love it!

The one thing that was #1 on things that I wanted to do was start flower beds in my backyard, which I have 4 now. There was a lot of preplanning to do with those. #2 was painting the inside of our carriage house and getting it organized so I could find stuff. I wanted to spend more time selling on Ebay which I finally gave up on just recently. Being able to visit my grandchildren that live miles away and in-laws in Arkansas. Lots of crafts which included quilting, sewing, crocheting and knitting and thought of cross stitching. These are just some of the things that I had thought about. After I was laid off I went through a big adjustment period. Ooh, ooh Deja vu.. I'm going to stop here.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Von Jones , sounds like you know what you want to do and accomplish so go at it one thing at a time, and remember it is your time to enjoy life. When I retired I kept feeling quilty because I wasn't putting my efforts into trying to give my family a step up in the world.

I would love to see some of your work. Do you have any representatives of some of your work?

6. Von Jones

Registered

I painted inside the carriage house last year. I've tried to upload photos but they are too big. I'll try another way.

Just can't get them to upload.:oops:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  7. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

So your are more of a physical doer than a putterer. At least that will raise the value of your home. I wish I could do that kind of thing again, but vertigo puts a stop to many physical activities for me now days. Thank you for answering, and if you find your pictures, I would love to see your carriage house. We don't have things such as that down here.

8. Von Jones

Registered

Yes, I believe that comes from being around my grandparents mostly. I watched my mother do things too, 'improvise' she would always say.

9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

Von reduce them here... http://tinypic.com/

Just '' browse'' and find your picture on your computer ..

Just click the ''default' drop down box to whatever size you want your pictures to be..I usually use 15'' or Message Board...

Then ''Upload''....

Then copy the img code and paste onto here... very quick and easy :)

10. Carol Cook

Carol Cook Active Member
    Registered

Yes.. I am giving that prospect a lot of thought. I don't know if I can be witness to some of the cruelty that comes through the doors at the major shelter in our area. I think it might keep me up at night.. Also.. I would want to take every single one home with me.

11. Yvonne Smith

Registered

While volunteering can be rewarding in itself; I think that a hobby should be something that is relaxing and helps rejuvenate our mind and body, and can be just about anything that a person enjoys doing.
    Some people who enjoy artwork or different crafts, (sewing, knitting, etc) find pleasure in doing that; but a hobby does not have to be that. I enjoy working in the yard and garden. It is relaxing to me, rewarding when I see things actually growing and looking pretty.
    I also enjoy reading, crocheting and knitting in the cold part of the year when it is not feasible for me to spend a lot of time outside.
    Even participating in a forum could be considered a hobby. I think that each of us will find things that we are naturally attracted to doing, and that makes our life better, and (to me) that is all that is required of a hobby.

Von Jones and Carol Cook like this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

"vertigo puts a stop to many physical activities for me"

Ten years or so ago, I began to suddenly experience dizzy spells, the room "swimming" about me. Occasionally, this sickened my stomach to the point that I rhrew up, then, feeling little better, lay down for anywhere from a half-hour to two hours. Upon arising, slowly, the effect was largely gone.

I talked to the Dr. He prescribed Meclizine, a classical "motion-sickness" med. It did not help. Sometimes, during my everyday walks up our road, very rural, no traffic at all, I had to stop and wait for a "spell" to improve. Gradually, over perhaps a year or more, the sensation of dizziness became more one of a difficult to describe sensastion, like a lack of quick cognizance, I would call it. Example: All my life I and my friends have thrown things through the air to one-another, (played baseball daily), bur now, I felt as though if someone suddenly tossed some object to or at me, I could not react fast enough to catch it before it hit me.

The original severity where nausea presented, has not come back in years now, no meds taken. The feeling of a lack of cognition remains, but as is seen here, I can think and write, etc. This morning we walked a 4-mile hike to Davis Dam. At one point, stopped to throw a stone off the steep cliff, my wife became upset, insisting I could lose my balance and fall off!

Anyone similarly afflicted? Sorry for going off on a long tangent here. Frank

13. Von Jones

Registered

@Frank Sanoica. I had experienced similar symptoms and my doctor did blood work and a MRI. It turned out to be anxiety caused by menopause. He prescribed Paxil until the generic brand was available. I haven't had any of those symptoms since.

I know that you are not going through menopause Frank but you should follow up again since the symptoms continue. Also it does take a while before the medication gets into your system, how long did you take the meds your doctor prescribed?

Your wife's concern is a very valid one.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Von Jones : Thank you, Von, and all others for your kind advice and concerns. I will be going for my usual check-up soon, anyway, so will discuss it then. Frank

Von Jones likes this.
  15. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Active Member
    Registered

As some have pointed out most things can be a hobby if you love doing them. It doesn't have to necessarily be something craftsy. If you like to garden, or even collect a certain item that's a hobby. Even liking a certain activity like hiking or jogging is a hobby. Like spending time online or playing video games again a hobby. In fact, most anything we do that is an activity that we don't make money doing could be classified a hobby.

16. Andie Nuckels

Andie Nuckels New Member
    Registered

Good morning everyone...this is my first post! This is a good start for me since I just retired last October. I agree with many of the earlier posts---try not to pressure yourself into zeroing in on something right away. When I first retired, I wanted to do everything and signed up for everything and ended up frustrated. But, I did find a seniors program at our local community college and it has been great. I go to foreign film class, trips to the museum and have rediscovered knitting and sewing. But it took a little time. I really want to be like @Ina I. Wonder and learn to weave. Hopefully, one day. Anyway, enjoy the journey.

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  17. Yvonne Smith

Registered

Welcome to the forum, @Andie Nuckels ! It sounds like you started off retirement in a big way. When you signed up for everything , what all did you learn to do, which things did you find enjoyable as hobbies, and are you still doing any of those things ?
    Are you into gardening, yard work, knitting, or any other kinds of crafts ?

Our Seniors Center has all kinds of activities and programs , too. However, they are just so busy that there is never any space in the parking lot, and by the time that there are empty spaces, they have finished most of the activities for the day.
    I tried going there, and was going to try some of the activities until I discovered how difficult it was to park. Now, I seem to have enough things to do right here at home that I don't want to even try going to classes at this point.

18. Andie Nuckels

Andie Nuckels New Member
    Registered

19. Andie Nuckels

Andie Nuckels New Member
    Registered

Thanks so much @Yvonne Smith. One of the first things I did was join our local fitness club which has been a great experience. I am not a gym rat by any means but really needed to get in shape after being a banker for 35 years. The cool thing is that most of the members are seniors and so I don't feel out of place in my aerobics class! I have also met some really nice people. The next thing that really stuck was taking a knitting class at our local JoAnn's. I'm still learning, but it allows me time to just sit and relax, knit away and watch the news! I have also rediscovered sewing and am making picnic blankets for my kids and grandkids. Next on the list is gardening which is new to me. We recently moved and our front yard has been neglected for a long time. I'm taking it one step (or one foot) at a time cleaning things up and then I will embark on learning which plants will work best for us. I have to say also that I am really looking forward to participating in this forum--so many interesting things and people.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  20. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

21. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Veteran Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica I experienced severe vertigo after an unexplained blackout in October last year , it was terrible ..I could not lay down,get up ,turn over in bed ,and the list go's on every time I moved the room was spinning ,and with it feeling as you mentioned ,sick in the stomach
    My GP mentioned trying Eplyey Manoeuvre ...I'd never heard of it .you can preform it your self or have a chiropractor preform it for you ,which I did ..(no bone crunching ) :) I had one treatment and it disappeared
    When I entered the ciro's office I could not walk in a straight line ...I walked out of there completely free of the issue which I had for 5 months ..I have suffered with dizziness on and off most of my adult life ,however the one I was suffering was devastating on my social life/ home life I had to hang onto furniture to walk from room to room ..I seen my GP a couple of days ago he said he to has had the problem he is 54 ..He mentioned it can return again as its caused by the inner ear ,however it normally only requires further Eplyey treatment ,which works for MOST ..I looked the manoeuvre up on net and printed out the instructions :)
    I'd tried a variety of meds for vertigo and they did nothing the relieve the issue

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  22. Carol Cook

Carol Cook Active Member
    Registered

Looks like I have a little part time job... I'm going back to my old position 2 days a week as a "private contractor" of sorts.. They apparently are having a very hard time finding a qualified replacement.. and I have agreed to come in on Monday and Tuesday to help until they can. It sort of makes me feel good... and the best part is I am not obligated to give them those days.. I can come in if I want.. or NOT come in. So I'm not tied to the job. Fortunately I loved my job and loved the people I worked with so this is a good thing. Plus the money being offered is not shabby.. I normally don't talk about money.. and it's really kind of tacky... but geez... close to $45 bucks an hour is huge.. Where else can a retired old lady make that kind of bread for working just 16 hours a week?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  23. Andie Nuckels

Andie Nuckels New Member
    Registered

Congratulations Carol! I retired in October and was just in touch with my former employer about coming back one day a week as a temp employee. It sounds like you have a great setup there, especially since you are not obligated to come in. I too loved my job and the people, so the thought of coming back on an extremely part time basis with no strings attached is very appealing. And having a little extra spending money is always nice. Good luck to you.

Carol Cook likes this.
  24. Andie Nuckels

Andie Nuckels New Member
    Registered

25. Carol Cook

Carol Cook Active Member
    Registered

I think it's a sweet deal... Plus, once they fill my old position, I can then work to fill in a week here and a week there to cover for vacations or illnesses... Plus.. I can say yes or no to that too!!! It's a win/win in my book.