I Have Started A Book And Need Help And Suggestions

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Lon Tanner, Jan 28, 2020.

1. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Interesting, @Lon Tanner . Thanks for posting the link.

I have had too many blogs over the years, and since retiring I have been taking them offline. There's little I feel the need to communicate at this point that isn't just as well served by posting on social media. I'm evaluating whether I really need the website that houses the blog or let it all go.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

LIVING IN ASSISTED LIVING -- A RESIDENTS PERSPECTIVE by Lon Tanner
    Prologue--

Preparing For Assisted Living—
    If you are now in your 50’s /60’s you stand a excellent chance of requiring some kind of Assisted Living in your later years. Why take the chance of having to sell your home and liquidate your assets and income.
    The best thing you could do would be to buy a Long Term Care Policy through your employer if available, or independently on your own. Having such insurance will help preserve your assets and income. Such insurance is expensive, but considerably less so if purchased in your 50’s & 60’s.

My Moving Here--
    Since my moving into the Oakmont Assisted Living/Memory Care/Alzheimer’s facility two years ago I have had to go through a substantial learning experience. I made the arrangement my self instead of everything being decided on by a CARE TAKER/Friend/Family Member which is the usual scenario. I live in a very comfortable one bedroom/one bath/living room/kitchenette apartment on the second floor of a two floor facility. I am fortunate to have retained some degree of computer and technology experience which has made my life easier and more comfortable and will be discussed in another Blog
    Health/Mobility
    Like most of the residents, I am living here because of health issues that create symptoms requiring some degree of assistance. Many of the residents have some degree of hearing loss and wear one or more hearing aids My hearing loss is severe and makes certain social interaction difficult if not impossible.I cannot hear music and sorely miss it. Two of my medical conditions make it necessary to use a walker. A cane would be nice but balance difficulty requires a walker. Many of the residents use walkers and some wheel chairs, electrical and mechanical. I some times think we could use a traffic cop to direct walker and wheel chair movement in hallways and elevator. I am envious of some of the 90 year olds that are very mobile.
    I voluntarialy gave up driving the year prior to moving here due to Peripheral Neuropathy affecting my legs. I started using Uber for my appointments until discovering that my AL facility could take me to scheduled appointments.

Paying for Assisted Living-

-Living here is expensive and my monthly costs are in excess of $6,000 per month.Fortunately, my Long Term Care Insurance Policy and monthly income is more than sufficient to pay ALL my monthly living costs. Some residents have had to liquidate their assets or have family members pay.
    A resident could very well outlive all their assets.

Meals and Dining at Assisted Living

The Main Dining Room is comfortable and nicely decorated. Menus are on each table for each days three meal offerings. Any of the meals can be delivered to a resident's apartment for what is called Tray Service. The charge is $ 5.00.

As a Change of Pace I will occasionally order a meal using my I Phone to contact Grubhub and have a meal delivered from a local Ethnic eatery or microwave a very good Marie Calendar meal.
    I order certain food and snack items from a market to keep in my fridge using my laptop. These items are delivered right to my apartment. These items include certain wines that I love and enjoy.

Apartment Kitchenettes have a Microwave / Fridge/Freezer but are not designed for heavy meal
    preparation.

SHRIMP FETUCCINI

[​IMG]

4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Interesting. The assisted living place my mother moved to had all those options about dining, but would not allow microwaves in the apartments. Pretty much limited your options. I can understand no stoves, but can't see much danger in a microwave. This was not a memory care unit.

I bet a lot of other residents got around that. She was only there a couple of weeks so I never got a chance to press them on it.

5. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered