I Have Decided To Quit Reading

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Bill Boggs, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I once told a friend that I had never read a Zane Grey novel, and he said: "Zane Grey?...he's like Tolstoy with spurs."

Anyway, to please my wife, I recently finished reading Volume 1 of Louis L'Amour's Collection of Short Stories, which she gave me as a gift, and I've now had enough Western fiction to last me a lifetime...no more, please!

What I really like to read is Non-Fiction stories of Military and Scientific engineering and development of weapons: Warships, Planes, Tanks, Artillery, Small Arms, and revolutionary Civil Engineering Structures, such as the Hoover Dam and the Golden Gate Suspension Bridge.

Years ago I read the book "Manhattan Project", about the development of the Atomic Bomb during WW2. I found it so fascinating that I bought more books and videos on the subject, some movies are authentic documentaries, and some are Hollywoodized versions, but still pretty good!

As the saying goes:"Truth is stranger than fiction"!

The accompanying schematic diagram is of the "Little Boy" uranium bomb that destroyed Hiroshima, and with the bombing of Nagasaki 3 days later, brought Japan's surrender ending World War 2.

I can tell you the function of every component in that device.

To me, THESE are my most interesting subjects!

Hal
    little-boy-bomb.jpg