I Have A New Next Door Neighbor - Do You Know Yours ?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Lon Tanner, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

linda moved into the apartment next to mine three weeks ago without me knowing it. We bumped into one another with our walkers in the hallway.She is in her 70's and seems to be about as deaf as I am. I am looking forward to visiting with her after we get our second vaccine shot on Saturday.

Susan Paynter and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Be careful.....

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Our next door neighbor is, probably, the most unfriendly mother and daughter, we have ever met. Mother is very handicapped at 75 years old and the daughter, who is 55, just seems to have something mentally wrong with her. She takes care of her mom, but also works at Post Office.

Won't get into details about being "unfriendly", but they both definitely are.

4. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

I know most my neighbors for over a mile each way maybe more especially the hay growers and cattle raisers, best friend is my closest one. I am very fortunate to have decent ones.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have a vacant house on one side of me, although I knew the guy who used to live there and still see him around town every now and then; he moved to a senior apartment building. I know my neighbors on the other side, but they are not particularly friendly. The guy across the street I know well enough that he doesn't even knock when he comes over. Sometimes I wonder whether that is good or bad. I also met the woman who lives behind me, across the railroad tracks and on the next street over. I recognize and know the names of probably more than a quarter of the people I come across in Millinocket.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  6. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to have a neighbor now passed that would just come in and say I am here was all for several years great lady and person both. Sure hated to lose her.
    We have a neighborhood group that contacts all in it multiple times a day or you get a visit to check on you many of us also have neighbor's house keys for any emergencies, we feel it is much safer for all involved, in 10+ years we did really help one that had fallen to us well worth it.. We also have a code word on phone calls that means I need help with out having to say so. We implemented this after my friend's attack.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We know most of our neighbors since we are on a cul-de-sac and have lived here since 1994. We have new neighbors next door and they seem like nice people, but with the Covid we have only waved at them across the yard.

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've always known my neighbors.

I lived in my prior house for over 30 years and saw a couple of generations spin through. Being the only mechanically inclined guy around, I helped their kids work on their bikes, ran phone lines to bedrooms in the days before cell phones, etc. I've watched kids while parents have had Date Night. A bunch of neighbors threw a Block Party for my 50th birthday, attended by a woman living around the corner who I delivered papers to when I was a kid.

There was only one guy no one got along with. He rented for about a year, and was "odd." Very "odd." I've intercepted him as he's stomped across the street to rage at the neighbor's kids in the middle of a Saturday afternoon because he did not like how "loudly" they were playing the parents' car stereo as they washed it (the music was at a moderate level, the guy was just "odd.")

There are 3 houses here at the end of this right-of-way where I now live. Yeh, we know each other. We help each other out. I've cut one couple's grass for them with my tractor when it's got out of hand or their mower's been broken. They bring me a rotisserie chicken when they go in town to Sam's Club. etc. etc. etc.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  9. Lon Tanner

Registered

Evelyn is another widow here at Assisted Living. Her husband died here two years ago Pre COVID. She usually has her meals with several other widows whose pic EVELYN (1).jpg tures I have posted.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Guess you wouldn't like the way the guy on the right of the picture looks..........unshaven, hair sort of messed up, shirt open and t-shirt showing. I might look that way at a Denny's, but where you live..........seriously doubt it.

11. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

good lord did you have to get your magnifying glass out to make those observations.

Faye Fox and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  12. Lon Tanner

Registered

How he looks is his business and I don't care one way or the other.

13. John Brunner

I was watching some TV show (average people were being interviewed, I forget what it was), and this one guy said he knew he wanted to get married because he knew what his "guy life" would be if he didn't have a wife.

That man in the photo must be what the guy on the show had imagined his future [single] self to be.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Nope, but how he talked about how the men there were, I had to bring it up.

15. John Brunner

"Slovenly, napkin nose-blowers."