Marco Poodle And Other Dog Adventures

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Papillons are adorable little dogs, @Patsy Faye ! I had one once, many years ago, and she went every where with me in my pickup. I was traveling, selling insurance, and went from town to town, and she kept me company on those many , many miles that we drove each day.
    They are similar to the Pomeranian, and are determined barkers, whether it is something that needs to be barked at or not.
    Their name means “butterfly”, and it is because of those huge “butterfly-ears” that they have.

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

They are certainly adorable, the ears on this doggie certainly 'stood out' maybe the owner gelled them :p
    She looked gorgeous with those ears. Thank you for the explanation of 'butterfly' :)

3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Set a Poodle and a Jack Russell down at a table, and they'll deal cards!

Hal

4. Hal Pollner

Registered

Hey ears...where ya goin' with that Dog?

H.P.

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  5. Hal Pollner

Registered

Yvonne, you're one of the last holdouts using the phrase "Put to Sleep" for euthanization!

We all use "Put Down" today.

Your "Poodlette" looks jolly! Will you have him neutered?

Hal

Micki Pembroke and Bess Barber like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Chipper wasn’t just a dog but Yvonne’s very personal friend ergo a lot of emotional and psychological stress involved with making any decision regarding his demise.
    In any case, we who are of the “put to sleep” clan prefer to think that our friends simply go to sleep. It’s softer and psychologically safer to think of things that way rather than the alternative you have suggested she use.

Your suggestion brings about the image of taking an animal out and shooting it as opposed to allowing your friend to go to sleep and pass away free from hurting and being disabled any longer.

7. Hal Pollner

Registered

Hey Bobby...man, you're always getting things misconstrued!

I said the word today is "put down", not the old-fashioned "put to sleep'', and I'm not suggesting anything to Yvonne!

When I tell my grandchildren that we're going to retire a dog, I always tell them very gently: "I'm gonna MURDER that rotten Mutt!"

Sincerely,
    Hal 456.JPG 105.JPG

Bess Barber likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I’m not going to argue the point with you Hal. Just re-read what I wrote and then take it or leave it.

9. Hal Pollner

Registered

Hey...what a superior attitude, Bobby, m'Lad!.

BTW, I did re-read it, and I'm going to Take it!
    Harry

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since i have had Poodle about 9-10 months now, I just wanted to write an update. I am extremely glad that I got him, and he is getting to be a really wonderful little companion dog.
    While nothing can take the place of my beloved Chipper in my heart, having another dog to love is kind of like having more than one child. They are each their own little person, and you love each child for their uniqueness.
    That is also how it is with our pets, and every one is special in their own way.

At first, I just missed the intelligent little entity that was Chipper, but after a few months, I realized that I also missed the companionship of having a fluffy dog to hold and pet, and that is when I decided to get another dog, and found Poodle.

Poodle loves going for walks with me, and jumps up on the chair and puts his head right into his walking harness anytime I ask him if he wants to go for a walk.
    He is really smart, and learning new words all of the time.
    He is now allowed to sleep on the bed, but knows that he has to sleep by my feet until Bobby gets up in the wee hours of the morning, and then he snuggles up beside me until I wake up and get out of bed.
    His ears have grown out long and luxurious, and he has that classic ‘Poodle Look”, is no longer the skinny, fearful little dog that I adopted last winter.

514ACCAE-6A91-4CDA-B813-84FAEBE40C9A.jpeg

11. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

You guys are gonna make me end up getting a dog. I want a little white fluffy something and will teach it commands in Hebrew. Actually, English Bulldogs are my favorite dog, but they are kind of messy. At the time, ours sort of blended in with the kid mess, but I don't want one slobbering on my couch now. :D

12. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

We used to have Siberian Huskies and the only problem with them was the shedding. Can't have any animals now because of wife's COPD.

13. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith You brought out so much loving emotions when i was reading your post. We have them for our unconditional companionship, and they deliver big time. I think it would be a sad world without them. Can never be easy to say goodbye, but maybe physically it is, but not in ours hearts and minds. He's adorable.

Lois Winters and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

@Al Amoling Sorry about your wife's COPD. There are many breeds that are not shedders, these breeds shed the same way we lose our hair, what i have read over the years is that maybe it's not the hair but the dander that may cause issues. I'm sure you must miss them very much.

Lois Winters and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

It is the dander issue. BTW the mother hiskie was essentially mine and only obeyed me while the daughter was basically my wife's but friendly with all.

Bess Barber and Micki Pembroke like this.