I Finally Chose A Step Towards Helping And Healing

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Ina I. Wonder, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am wondering how the VA volunteer work is coming along , @Ina I. Wonder ? I was concerned about you driving with the blurry vision, and now you are in pain from the loom weaving; so I have been wondering if (on top of all the other things happening) you are still going to the VA to help out several days a week ?
    I am glad that you are finding things that you are enjoying in your life; but worrying that you might overdo your physical limitations.

2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith , right now I am just doing Sunday Chapel service. They have three services on Sunday mornings, and my job is help those that can not roll their wheelchairs to and from services. Add that to not enough chairs or volunteers, and I stay busy just trying to get everyone in and out. This is where I got the idea for the lap blankets, as them only have the awful green gowns and a few pj's. I asked a couple men what they thought about the idea, and they said it would make them feel that people weren't just staring at their disabilities.

I'm still waiting for the government to cough up my ID, so until it comes in I'm limited in what they will let me do. After that if I can get my pain to an expectable level, then I'll start in the art physical therapy unit.

Today is a stay in bed day, the inflammation in my spine is pinching a nerve to my right leg, so I'm immobile right now. I called my doctor this morning, and he wants me to think about something called a nerve block. He said it could help relieve much of the pain, it is non narcotic, and it can be a diagnostic tool to tell us which nerves are being affected. He said it helps many, but it's not so good for some. I've been trying to do some research on the subject.

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Ina, I haven't been here long, but I know that you will be a blessing and bring comfort and peace to many Veterans as a Volunteer. May our heavenly Father provide you with everything you need as you Volunteer and may you be blessed as you are blessing others in such a special way.

4. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, what Babs said!

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

H, Ina! I agree with Yvonne,that you should take good care of yourself, so that you will be able to care for others. I am praying for you.

6. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree with the three posts above.
    Ina, you really need to take it easy and care for yourself. Hope you get some much needed help and answers.
    My prayers are with you.

Ina I. Wonder and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Agree with everybody @Ina I. Wonder. I know you are used to giving and giving and giving, try to give to yourself now.

If you don't, you won't be able to help the vets later. My main concern would be my back and yours is in worse shape then mine. It won't get better unless you find what you can do....maybe the injections?? There have been pros and cons mentioned on here, so you will still have to research some more for yourself. Also, your cataracts.

8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ina I. Wonder Did you end up getting the nerve block? I've had many injections and have never had an issue, other than what feels like 'roid rage for a few days after the steroid injections. I haven't been able to get them for quite a while, but if my circumstances change for the better, I won't hesitate. I used to work at a pain clinic, and numerous patients received various forms of injections on a regular basis. As long as you have a good doctor, and s/he thinks you can benefit from them, I think it's worth taking a chance.

I can't believe people would actually try to dissuade you from volunteering at the VA hospital if that's what you want to do. I think it will be beneficial not only to the patients, but also to you. Many these days are very self-focused, and don't understand the desire to help others, but I applaud you.

9. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I thought I'd bring you up to speed on my VA work. I didn't want to leave all of you wondering. One of the big rules they have for VA volunteers is NO pictures, media or social networking is allowed. It seems that there are people that will take anything and use it to start a money scam, such as those go fund me pages on FB. So if we are caught doing or saying anything concerning them online we will be dropped from the volunteer roster.

The program I wanted hasn't been able to get the number volunteers needed to get it up and running again, so I've been working on the chapels need for someone to help get the residents to and from church, and then I try to help with the even meal.

So on Sunday's I only have time to check SOC on a break or at lunch time. But I admit I'm pretty tired on Sunday evening as I give the VA 8 t0 10 hours on those days.

But it does give me more time for my weaving, so far I have two baby blankets and two lap blankets.

Babs Hunt and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Sacheen BrightEagle

Sacheen BrightEagle Veteran Member
    Registered

Ina, it must be frustrating to be unable to serve the vets as you might like. Hopefully, they will be able to find the people necessary to get the program going. I think the lap blankets are a wonderful idea.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for the update, @Ina I. Wonder. Just saw this post today. Too bad you couldn't get the program you wanted though but I'm sure the Vets appreciate anything and everything you do.

My back hurt just reading your post, that's a loooong day pushing wheelchairs. That's what I did when I first volunteered at St Agnes Hospital, I was in patient discharge. Only 4 hrs a day, I had to push the discharged patient to whatever exit they were being met at. Also to some tests if necessary. After 2 weeks I had to ask for a change in
    Position because my back couldn't take pushing some of the heavier patients up a slight incline at one exit.

They switched me to the surgery waiting room.

Please be careful of your back, you need to think of yourself also.

12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ina I. Wonder I would love to see some pictures of your baby blankets...and the lap blankets too.

I believe in time if our Creator wants you to move into the Volunteer position you originally wanted to do....it will happen.

13. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh Ina,

I am so happy you are doing this, I am struggling to find a path for me too, although I have not been through what you have. This sounds just wonderful. Will you say a prayer for me to find my way to something I could give?? I have all I need now, but I still feel empty, and hungry for some meaning for my life:) huge hugs, denise

14. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh man, I gotta start looking at dates, I'm so far behind on this one, sorry Ina, I will read the whole thread, geesh:(

Ok, I see what's going on now, today. Ditto on seeing more of your blankets if you can get some photos:) Also, more of Izzi, I so love your little dog:)

Well, I do believe God has things for us to do, it's willingness on my part to answer the calls. I admire you so much for stepping out in faith. That is what it's about, having/keeping the faith:)

love and hugs, denise

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016