I Finally Chose A Step Towards Helping And Healing

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Ina I. Wonder, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

As many of you know, this year has been very confusing for me. All of the sudden I felt like I had lost my identity when I lost my son and husband. So I've been stumbling around trying to see where I'm going and just who I am now.

This year I have been helping my brother through several surgeries at the VA hospital in Houston. I also spent the three years before this year taking my husband back and forth to VA for this declining health. While walking the hospital for the last two days, I was remembering how good the staff was to both of us. Then I knew where I wanted and needed to start my new life. I've chosen to become a volunteer at the VA.

Starting in January, I will be going into six months of training to be part of the NVDA, (No Veteran Dies Alone) unit. I have helped five members of my family leave this world, and I think this is something my Creator has chosen for me to do.

I finally feel like I am finding my new path.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Congratulations, @Ina I. Wonder. I am sure that will be a fulfilling experience, and I wish you the best with it.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  3. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I second that Ina, what a wonderful gesture in a area of society that is so often forgotten. I am sure you will find the work rewarding.
    A while ago after I retired I looked into volunteer work, but my nomadic lifestyle precluded most of it, so I try to spread as much kindness to those I meet each day.

4. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Ken Anderson, Thank you. I filled out the stack of paperwork and I turned it in today. I start my six months training period the first part of January. It feels good to have a direction in my life again. I am so tried of me me me.

@Terry Page, I was worried about my health interfering with my volunteering, but it is not an obstacle here. If I go through bad periods the VA volunteer department will allow me to set it out, and return when I'm better. I have six months of training before I'll get to the unit I wish to serve in. I think I'm strong enough to handle it now that I've survived my own wounds.

The unit I'm shooting for is the NVDA, (No Veteran Dies Alone). It is a unit that not many even speak about very much. I had to ask if there was even such a position. I want to help the vets that people tend to forget about, those that spend the rest of their lives in this hospital.

The fact that you care enough to chear up others, (us), is as noble an effort as any other. We all need chearing. So thank you for your beautiful sense of art, and your funny sense of humor. image.jpeg

5. Sacheen BrightEagle

Sacheen BrightEagle Veteran Member
    Registered

I think it is a fantastic idea Ina. Bringing warmth and kindness to people at the end of their lives is a beautiful gift.

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Great idea, Ina! I volunteered at a hospital after my husband died but because I traveled too much I had problems with the set schedules.

It was the same hospital that my husband had hospice thru...and his hospice volunteer and I became good friends and she suggested volunteering for hospice but you had to be a year past the death of a loved one and I didnt think I could do hospice anyway so I did the surgery waiting room at St. Agnes Hospital. Always felt good after a few hours there.

7. Sifu Phil Bonifonte

Sifu Phil Bonifonte Veteran Member
    Registered

Congratulations and blessings to you, Ina.

You know, people talk about strength ... I always considered myself a strong person, but seeing what you're doing shows me that you're far stronger than I.

Good luck, my friend.

8. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Sifu Phil Bonifonte, I don't know that it is strength so much as it is that I see a need, and not too many people are in a position to be of service to those that many have forgotten. I am now alone, and without all the responsibilities that 90% of the people have daily. And it will sure beat crying about what I can't change. ;)

9. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Ina, bless you for this decision. You will help those who greatly deserve it and you will be fantastic because you know how to care for people. I am happy that you will have the satisfaction of sharing your skills! My best to you.

10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Ina, that is great news! Your decision seems to have brought great peace, and focus into your life! God bless you!

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Yvonne Smith @Joe Riley @Lara Moss @Chrissy Page @Sifu Phil Bonifonte and all the rest of you, I now believe in angels. Our Ceator sends them, but it is up to us to see them. Some are wise, some loving, some funny, and some just let you know that they're there and thinking and pulling for you. All of you are the angels sent my way, and now I recognize each of you. Thank you each and everyone. Not only are you my angels, you are my friends, and this is something I have never had before.

12. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never had a pretty Indian maiden as a friend and I'm honored. You are special and easy to love.

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Gee, this is the first time I've heard of that NVDA and with the meaning No Veteran Dies Alone, it is a support group for sick veterans who have no families. I had been to the Veterans Hospital here when my mother-in-law was confined there for 3 weeks. Truly those sick veterans are in a pathetic state that the spouse stays and couldn't go home because of lack of transportation money. Worse, the hospital has food only for the patient so the companion has to fend for himself.

@Ina I. Wonder good luck to your new career and obviously your new vocation comes from the heart.

14. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I did it!!!

I got my TB test results today, and I passed. Yea!!!

I was worried, because when I was 22, I home cared my step-father for 18 months, when he fell and fractured two sided of his skull. At that time he came up positive for TB, and so did I. I have a 1&1/2 by 2 inch scare from that old test. We both took meds for it for a long time, he much longer than I. At the time I was told not to let anyone give me the test again, but things do change, and 42 years later the test came out negative.

The first of January is on a Friday, so on the fourth I will be signed up for the NVDA unit.

Of course there are those that think I'm nuts for doing this. Their reasons go from, I could catch some disease, to it will be so sad. Well I know that the VA will not allow any patient that could communicate any diseases to be in an uncontrolled environment. And the idea is to bring some happiness to the patients. Of course some of it will be sad, but most of life is sad from what I've seen. My objective will be to bring a bit of friendship to them, and maybe make their day a little brighter.

I have seen so many with blank stares, because they have no one to care, I pray that I can change that for even one veteran.

15. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ina I. Wonder, that is a commendable act to be a volunteer and I guess no one should question your good intention. Catching a disease or getting injured in line of duty is part of the sacrifice. I remember the rich guy who owns an airline (sorry, I forgot his name) who confined himself to the hotel room because he had lost his senses and forgot the meaning of life. Now with that selfless work in sharing yourself to others who especially needed company, you clearly had found a new meaning of your life.