I Fell For A Scam

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Kate Ellery, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I’ve spent allot of my morning answering emails ,making a couple of calls due to ME falling for a SCAM ...on the website called Gumtree with is owned by eBay but it’s adds are free to sell
    stuff ......I thought the person that was selling a plant I wanted was genuine ........quite obliviously NOT [​IMG]

...The plant is quite sought after its calked a monstera ....or Swiss cheese plant only this ones a variegated version

I reported it to my bank last Monday .,( it’s Thursday today ) My bank suggested I contact gumtree .....GT suggested I contact the police ....so I’ve been busy answering emails I tell ya I need a secretary but it’s all necessary to catch yet another scammer .....SIGH ..I’m normally very careful but I got caught this time [​IMG] so here’s hoping the combination of the bank / and the police involvement can retrieve my $300 and give the scammer a bad name for life I hope they enjoyed spending my money of what ever ..

This is something like the cutting I should have received

D5F97156-32D9-4785-9D2E-D7A9B0754CA5.jpeg

Bobby Cole and Patsy Faye like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That stinks.

I've been through a similar thing where my bank card got hit through an online purchase. I caught it that very evening (before the transactions posted) and was on my bank's doorstep first thing the next morning. Long story short, I filled out a report but the new branch manager had no idea what to do with it, so she shoved it in her desk and did nothing. Charges went through that should have been stopped. I got my money back, but it was a real mess.

To add insult to injury, the thief bought some underwear from a specialty sportswear company and had it shipped overseas. That got me on the company's catalog list, so every month there was a reminder in my mailbox that (a) I got ripped off, and (b) that company does not use Address Verification Service for credit card purchases.

I wish you luck.
    I hate thieves. We need to bring back public floggings.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Agree !!

Terry Coywin likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Kate - so sorry you are going through this, we can do without added stress at this time, can only hope the problem
    will be resolved - quickly
    You must be mentally exhausted :(

Kate Ellery likes this.
  5. Louise Miller

Louise Miller Veteran Member
    Registered

Wowzers.!! so sorry kate, , gosh , you just don't know sometimes,

i almost got scammed , its the one where the phone rings , you listen to hear who it is , i thought it was my grandson, he was crying , saying him and a buddy of his were headed out to the hardware store, cop lights went on and they told us to get out and they popped open the trunk and found some weed , , so for that they hauled us both to jail (by the way, he does not smoke weed!!) anywho, he told me, i had to put up $6,000 dollars to bail him out . i told my hubby about it and he quickly told me to hang up , its a scam!!, he had just heard about that scam the other day, i was mad cuz he had not told me about it..!!!.

6. John Brunner

THAT is infuriating!!!! It's also abusive. Gee, and I get angry at the robocalls I get for vehicle warranties...

I just started reporting this stuff on the DoNotCall registry website. There's a place to report such calls here if you've already registered for the Do Not Call list.

One piece of advice I read elsewhere: they say to not ask these places to put you on their internal Do Not Call list. Apparently any human contact you give them gets your number on a list they share with similar scamming entities (I guess they operate under different names but the same owners.) Since these places already violate the National Registry, our personal request ain't gonna matter to them.

7. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I had been reporting faithfully to the do-not-call-list and it NEVER seemed to work for me.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. John Brunner

Yeh, I wondered if it might not be some kind of taxpayer-funded placebo. Yesterday was the 1st time I've reported one of these calls. I'm angry that signing up seems to have minimal effect.

It's interesting that the Car Warranty call did not originate from overseas (where they would be protected from action), but from a number that actually appears to be in my state.

9. Al Amoling

Registered

Well that number could have been spoofed.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

Since my phone is on my son's business account, one of the perks it offers is a scam alert if a number calls and is not on my known contact list. It cuts that number off immediately. When a number isn't caught, I simply do not answer. If someone refuses to be identified via a number calling, I return the favor and ignore the call. The same with emails. When I receive anything I know is not from a known source, it is deleted. I actually delete more than I open.

11. John Brunner

My problem with Unknown Numbers is that doctors' offices use different outgoing numbers when contacting patients. There is one main number I call that is on my Contacts List, then there are the myriad sub-numbers (-xxx1, -xxx2, -xxx3)

So I find myself answering all the calls, because when I have to call back, I gotta wend my way through automated attendants and sit on hold with annoying music.

12. Al Amoling

Registered

If I get calls from my doctor I return any messages by connecting with them on-line. All of my medical contacts have ways for me to contact them thru the www.