I Can't Believe I'm On The Train And On My Laptop Too

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Babs Hunt, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

In the talking stages yet, but a bullet train system is to be built soon between Houston and Dallas. It has kinda peaked my interest. I would consider trying that out. ..love trains.

Texas is so darn large, it takes forever to drive anywhere! 4 hrs. to Dallas, 4 hrs.to San Antonio... a day and a half to El Paso..:D

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My daughter drove me back home today and @Ken Anderson, you were right the hotspot worked just fine in her car too. :)

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

They were talking about a bullet train from Fresno to somewhere too, @Bonnie Thomas but I think it was dropped....too expensive.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

When are you going back?

Babs Hunt likes this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My sister mentioned to me the other day that she is hearing talk in New Orleans about passenger service going all the way to Jacksonville, FL again. So I did some research and found out that Amtrak actually made a trial run from New Orleans to Jacksonville around Feb. 19th to check out tracks, etc. and get a survey of how many people on the stops along the way would be interested in passenger service starting up again. Even if they do decide to go ahead with this it would be a couple of years before the service would begin. I would love to see this happen so I could take the train to Pensacola and visit my sisters more often. Hurricane Katrina did alot of damage to the tracks over Mobile Bay, etc. and all along that route so making this route up to code again is going to cost some money and Amtrak needs enough passengers taking that route to make it feasible. I hope they find it will be and I hope they get it done alot sooner.

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

End of April or first two weeks of May. :)

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's not too bad! Bet your hubby missed you!

Babs Hunt likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Well...maybe, But with the Spring like weather we are having at home...he can't stay inside long enough for me to tell! :D

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

From what I have read, the bullet train is very expensive, and not even that fast when it comes down to it; so it would not be a very good alternative to flying, it sounds like.
    One of the options that has been being considered for a while now is the Hyperloop, developed by Elon Musk, who also makes the Tesla electric automobiles.
    The Hyperloop would parallel I-5 between LA and San Francisco, and it would cost very little to run it. It runs by magnetism, which is powered by solar power; and it also goes much faster than the bullet train would go.
    Elon Musk is also looking at putting the Hyperloop in other countries, when it is at a feasible location.
    The whole trip could be as cheap as $15 from what I have read about the cost of actually traveling with the Hyperloop ; so just building it would be the main expense, and once it was developed, it could produce revenue for the state for many years to come.

http://www.wired.com/2015/08/elon-musk-hyperloop-project-is-getting-kinda-serious/#slide-1

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Gosh, it's been awhile since I've taken the train to Houston so I'm looking forward to riding on it today. Now I will be going to spend time with my two youngest grandchildren. Our Luvey girl and her baby brother who right now I call our Little Man. 14495374_10153750902246207_5195891233398952895_n.jpg Life has been really stressful lately and I'm it's time for this Granny to play and relax. :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Sitting at the Beaumont, Texas station right now. This is the only stop between Lafayette and Houston where people can hop off the train and smoke a cigarette. It is always a short stop but right now it seems to be a very long one...I'm missing my little ones and can't wait to be there with them. :)

12. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Babs Hunt I had forgoten that part of your family were here in Houston. I hope you get to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with them. There is nothing better than the joy of being able to shower all your love on those you love.

At one point I thought you might be moving this way, or maybe that was just me imagining you being able to be near the little ones. I do miss those days. They grow up so fast, don't they.

The Creator Has and is blessing you. :)

Babs Hunt and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ina I. Wonder My daughter and I have been looking for homes with either a private entrance inlaw suite or apartment over the garage, etc. so yes I hope my husband and I will beable to move here if that is what is meant to be. For now I will be just coming and going on the train as I will be helping take care of both the grandchildren when my daughter goes back to work part time after the New Year. My husband and I don't mind making the move over here and my daughter and son-in-law want this too, but we need to find the right place that works for all of us. And if it is meant to be....this will happen. :)

And I probably will be spending Thanksgiving here with them. I made it safely here and my "Luvey" was so excited to have her Granny here with her...she makes this "old lady" feel so loved! And baby Bennett now 2 months old just smiled at me and kept making the most joyful noises to let me know he was glad I was here too. :) Yes I am blessed...and I am so thankful for these beautiful blessings.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My daughter, the grandkids, and I are traveling in her Van today to bring me home and have Thanksgiving with the rest of our Family in Louisiana. For those who pray, would you please say a prayer for safety in our travels today. I am sure there will be lots of traffic on the roads today and from what I understand we may have some rain while we are traveling too. So I sure would appreciate your prayers for safe travels for us today. :)

And for any of you that may be traveling today I pray safe comings and goings for any of you too.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is great that you have your family all meetinging together for Thanksgiving, @Babs Hunt ! Prayers for a safe trip for everyone and wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving together with all of your loved ones.

Babs Hunt likes this.