I Can Remember

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember when a penny bought more than one piece of candy; and Cracker Jacks had a real toy inside. I remember when dogs didn't have to be licensed or get shots and they were nicer too. I remember carrying empty soda/pop bottles to get a nickel, dime or quarter depending on the size, boy that was fun, what a way to recycle. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I can remember sonic booms, and I'm sure many of you can as well, before they were pretty much eliminated through design changes.

Lara Moss and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Sacheen BrightEagle

Sacheen BrightEagle Veteran Member
    Registered

I can remember crossing the street as a child/teen with a large bucket and shovel, as well as a sharp knife. Destination? Why the beach of course! During all but red tide season, it was fun to walk the sand at low tide

digging up fresh clams, and prying large oysters off the rocks, all to take home to cook up a huge feast. Sometimes I would fish off the dock as well. Good memories.

Lara Moss and Ken Anderson like this.
  4. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember crabbing in the inlets of the Chesapeake Bay….Tidewater, Virginia….for Blue Crabs. I would wade through water knee-deep, with tennis shoes on so they didn't pinch me and scoop them up in a net as they scurried along the bottom. But that sport didn't last long once I heard them scurrying around in the boiling pot on the stove.

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember when most of the clothes, hung up to dry outdoors, were "sprinkled" with water just before ironing them, in the kitchen.

My mother used a quart soda bottle, fitted with a sprinkler head having a cork around it's neck, which fit into the bottle.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  6. Ken Anderson

I can remember that we had at least a dozen old clothes irons around the house. Some of them were the same, but there were different decorative things on others of them. Some had wood handles. antique-iron.jpg
    I don't remember mom ever using them because she always used the electric one but, when they were used, I think people had a bunch of them, probably because they didn't stay the right temperature for long, so they'd switch off. Being cast iron, I think we kept them for their heat-retention properties. Particularly when you heat your house with wood, cast iron will absorb the heat and retain it for a while, so that the house wouldn't freeze too badly during the night.
    antique-iron2.jpg

Ike Willis likes this.
  7. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

8. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

Doesn't seem that many use powdered detergent anymore. We used to use it for washing clothes, dishes, floors etc.

Von Jones likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

I'm perfectly okay with the powdered laundry detergents but my wife insists on paying for the detergent pods. Powdered laundry detergent still sells very well though, judging from what's available in the stores. For those who go to laundromats, that's pretty much all most of them have.

10. Sacheen BrightEagle

Sacheen BrightEagle Veteran Member
    Registered

I can remember when some brands of laundry detergent contained a smoked glass or goblet. I collect a whole set of them.

Yvonne Smith and Von Jones like this.
  11. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't use pods; I like liquid laundry detergent and dish soap. As a kid my parents were always telling us we used too much powdered detergent. Just wanted to get the dishes done and go outside to play. :)

12. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

I love the pods! It just makes things easier.

13. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember this too..all sorts of things came in laundry detergent.

14. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

I can remember going with my parents out on the windy cold beach in Oregon while they would dig clams out of the sand. Us kids would run around helping them look for the little air holes in the sand and then they'd dig fast before the clams got away. We had buckets to put the clams in. Sometimes we'd drive quite a ways up the coast where they would look for razor clams which were larger than the ones on the beach by our house. My mom would clean them and fry them up. One of my happiest memories is playing outside with my brothers near dark and getting called in to a big platter of fried clams! They tasted and looked nothing like the small pieces of fried clams we can buy in the stores today or at the fast food places. Has anyone else here went clam digging? I wonder if people still do that in Oregon?

15. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I personally have never dug for clams but here on the Atlantic coast many people do.