I Believe One Of My Cats Was Poisoned

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Hannah Davis, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I have spoken of my cats here before. Their mother use to belong to a Feral community because of this there was no way we could get them to adjust to being indoor cats. Anyway because the three, two males and one female lived basically outside they tend at times to roam the neighborhood. Anyway, for the past few months we had a mouse problem in our home. We used some traps that are pretty humane to get rid of them. In the past we use to use a rat poison called De-Con but because our concern was that if the mouse after eating the De-Con got out of our house and one of our cats or even our dogs got a hold of it and ate it we could accidentally poison our pet without meaning to, so we decided never to use rat poison again.

Unfortunately one of our neighbors didn't think about this and he did put out rat poison. A few days ago one of our cats Petey was acting strange, he wouldn't eat his food and seem listless. That was the last time any of us saw him, he disappeared and has been seen since. I felt the need to share this story with all of you because those of you who own pets like myself need to be aware of what they can get into. We may not be able to control what our neighbors do, but we can control our actions so keep chemicals and even over the counter medications out of reach of pets.

2. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I thought I would give an update even though I didn't get any responses to this post. Anyway, I thought I would tell all of you that Petey did show up. We were so happy to see him and all seems to be all right now. I don't know where he was for a few days but at least he came back.

3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hannah Davis, I just saw your post, and I'm so glad your Petey has come home well and sound. Just a couple of months ago, this happened to a friend of mine. She lost three of her kitties. Although she never actually chose to have pets, her kind heart found her feeding and careing for a litter of orphaned stray kittens. It seemed a recent addition to the neighborhood didn't like cats, so he set out posion in his yard, and let all know about it after many started loosing their pets. Some people can be so cruel. I'm glad you still have your furbabies.

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think rat poison can kill a cat simply because cats have the nose to determine rat poison. We also use rat poison when there is a prevalence of rats. When we moved to this house, rats were all around. The black powder poison will be mixed with fish or meat before laying as a trap. We would see rats getting dizzy and eventually dying. The total rats that we had eradicated in this house number more than 50 big ones. The mouse has a different scoreboard since we use a different poison.

Back to your cats, I'm sure Petey was not poisoned. Maybe it was acting strange because of another reason.