I Am Very Lucky

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Martin Alonzo, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember mine, too... every number, but I'm not going to prove it by posting it here because my parents still have it... got that one sometime in the 60s or very early 70s. :)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My mom doesn't live there anymore so it doesn't matter to me.

But then that means my memory is better, Mari. :) since I assume you still call your parents. :)

I was very proud of myself for remembering...don't ruin it for me. :D

Mari North likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Ours was 9212...:)

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Just 4 numbers?

5. Holly Saunders

Registered

yep.....just 4....nowadays including the area code most landlines have 11 numbers...

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, here too if you include area code.

It's x-xxx-xxx-xxxx

Holly Saunders likes this.
  7. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Hehe I'm extremely proud of you, @Chrissy Page ... I don't remember things from yesterday sometimes! And yes, I still use the number. I tried to make a funny and it flopped. :)

8. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

It seems we all have faun memories of the good olden days. One other thing was in the summer when the school was out my parents would pack up and spend a week or two at the beach. We took tents we had a dinner tent and two tents for sleeping. We camped right on the public beach at Port Bruce on Lake Erie and no one ever bothered us except one year they asked us to move the tents because they were putting in a highway so we did. My dad’s first car was an Essex which we had to drive backwards up the big hill to get out of Port Bruce the gas tank was in front of the windshield and it had no gas pump and going up forward the motor would run out of gas. In the spring we would go to the beach for smelt fishing and there was so many fish that with a ten foot seine net we would have to let some of the fish go to be able to pull it in.

9. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes we also had names for all the local exchanges in each village, I lived in a small hamlet near Worcester which had an exchange called Hallow, and my number was 500, so when answering the phone I would say Hello Hallow 500 :rolleyes:

I had a number once in the early days Manor 23 which I liked but it was quickly replaced with a number replacement 357 23,

Chrissy Cross and Holly Saunders like this.
  10. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Speaking of tv, I am also fortunate to have a tv in our house when I was a girl. Some neighborhood kids would be in our garage, peeking by the window in watching our tv. Sometimes I would give them snack food. I think that generosity was brought about by the thought I was luckier than them. The usual snack is peanuts because my father used to buy a jar of peanuts for us kids. That's what I share with the neighbor kids. If I'm not mistaken, we had a color tv when I was 8, that's in or about 1970. But that time we already had a car so the garage has been closed and no more neighborhood kids in our garage.

11. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I was born 3 days after Pearl Harbor was bombed. I remember the milkman and the ice man. Our first phone number was 4 digits also. We got our first tv in 1954. We only got one station. Life sure was different in those days.

Ike Willis and Holly Saunders like this.
  12. Holly Saunders

Registered

We had a B&W TV during the 60's and I remember being invited around to watch my best friends' new colour Tv when I was about 13 which was about 1968 or'69.....oooh it was like watching a whole new world, I've never forgotten it.

My father continued with our B&W tv..right until I left home because there was a huge difference in the annual price of the TV licence fee we pay in the Uk for watching TV broadcasts in colour compared to B&W...(double the difference in the 60's and it inched up to 3 times the difference during the 70's)...however when I married in the mid 70's..after first having a second hand B&W tv gifted to us by my father-in-law which showed only one channel..LOL>... ..we ultimately got our own Colour TV in about 1977...and never looked back.

I think of how far we've come since those days...

Ike Willis likes this.
  13. Molly Hazel

Molly Hazel Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember the baker coming round with a horse drawn van, it was my uncle so we always had a cup of tea for him.
    But the worst thing was if the horse did his business on the road my dad made me take a bucket and collect it up
    for his garden..good manure !
    Also remember mum ironing with heavy metal irons, you would heat them on the gas ring on the cooker.
    And being given a sweet coupon to get some sweets from the local shop, we still had ration books
    For some things.
    And I was a telephone operator who used to say number please...loved the job

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016