I Am Really Going To Go To Hawaii!

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Yvonne Smith, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had mentioned this possibility last last year, because it was on Robin’s schedule to be in Hawaii for a week’s work, and she said she could take me along.
    Then, it was kind of off-again, on-again for the last few months as her schedule changed. However, now it is definitely on the schedule, and we leave next Friday morning.
    She planned the plane schedule so that we have several stops, which is a good thing for me, and I can be up and walking/running through the airport, and keeping my circulation working good ........ do NOT want to have any more blood clots that go to my lungs !

Anyway, we will be there for the next week, and on the weekend, fly back to Seattle, and stop and see my new great-granddaughter, whom we have not yet seen.
    Then, they scheduled Robin to work in Philadelphia the next week, so we fly from Seattle to there on the weekend, and spend the next week in Philly, before returning home.

It will be a grand vacation trip for me, and i can’t believe that I am really going to be doing this..... I am beyond excited ! !
    I am of course, taking the iPad; so will be sharing trip pictures and such as we go.

Here is where we will be staying in Hawaii, be sure to watch the little video

https://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Take me, Take ME!!!!...did I ever mention I like you more than anyone else on this forum Yvonne.... ? :D

You lucky lady....I did look at the link and the video and the Live web cam

My daughter wants me to go to Hawaii with her, but it;s going to cost an arm and a lung from here.. so I can't justify the expense...

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm so happy for you @Yvonne Smith....not only a trip to Hawaii and Philly...but a trip with your daughter to those places with a stop to see your great- granddaughter and more of your family too. You are being blessed indeed and I pray safe travels, good health, and joyful memories to fill your heart and treasure forever.

And I pray our heavenly Father takes good care of Bobby while you are away too. :)

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Enjoy your trip, @Yvonne Smith and be sure to take your compression socks with you to help avoid those blood clots. If you are not on any other blood thinners, you could take Ginkgo biloba to help as well, but don not take it if you are on other anticoagulants. If you are a beach person, you will love the Islands, just don't get too burned, as they are south even more than Alabama and the reflecting off the water makes it worse. In Philly, see if you can get to the Constitution Center. I found it fascinating, although Independence Hall is good, too. Have you been to either of these places before?

6. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Went there in 1978. We flew out of Boston at 10am, changed planes in Chicago and arrived in Waikiki around 5pm local time. We then went shopping and dining until 11pm. We woke up the next day refreshed. Had a wonderful 10 days there traveling to several of the other islands. We flew out of Hilo at 3pm and flew non-stop thru the night arriving in Boston a little after dawn. More than one of us had leg problems because of the inactivity thru the night. Did I tell you that on the way out the stewards/stewardesses were fantastic but on the way home they were 1 step away from being thrown off the plane by the passengers. Both flights were on United. When I say we I'm referring to the fact that our group chartered 2 747s for travel. An interesting tidbit. Sometime after we got home there was a story about the roof of one of the planes used in the inter island flights(Boing 727) had it's roof peeled of while in flight. Going there was for us the trip of a lifetime. So much to see and enjoy.

7. Yvonne Smith

As most of you already know, my daughter travels a lot with her work, and so she accumulates sky miles, and well as (whatever they call) preferred guest at the hotel chains she uses, so it doesn’t cost her much extra to take me along now and again.
    The hotel charges the same whether it is both of us, or just her, and she is reimbursed from her work for whatever the travel and lodging costs; so when she is going someplace special, and has accumulated air miles, she is able to take me along.
    I have never been to either place, @Don Alaska , and I am seriously looking forward to seeing both Hawaii and also Philadelphia.
    I will definitely be careful about the sunburn factor as well. No sun here for us yet this year, so I will be doing early morning time in the sun and not the heat of the day, and hoping for a nice tan.

I am already on blood thinners, and I do wear my compression socks anytime I am traveling on a plane where I have to be sitting for such a long time. It seems like we always have to go from one end of the airport to the other every time we change flights; so that gives me a good chance to exercise and keep the blood flowing properly.

I am not just a beach person, I LOVE the water, and always have. I guess that is why I enjoy the swimming everyday at the fitness center so much.
    In fact, when going through some old pictures, I found one that shows how much I have always loved water ......
    2AFD1C58-99FD-4E99-AF40-2D4038CA1BD9.jpeg

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

How exciting, Yvonne!! I can't wait to see your pictures. Have fun and enjoy the time with your daughter.

Oh, and you should be able to get up and move a bit on the plane, if even just to the potty and back! Ask for an aisle seat if possible, then you can just get up and take a quick stroll.

9. Yvonne Smith

You have obviously never seen me wobbling around, trying to walk on the plane, @Beth Gallagher , or you might not be suggesting that. I have come way too close to falling over into some poor unsuspecting person’s lap, trying to make my way to the bathroom and back.
    I don’t attempt that anymore unless it is a dire necessity !

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

OK, nevermind!! :D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

You'll have such a good time!

Suggestion for the flight: Take a long scarf (I use a cheap "infinity scarf" I bought at Walmart and loop it over the arms of your tray table for a "hammock" for your feet. It takes pressure off the back of your knees and thighs. I did that last year for my long India flight and it really helped.

12. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

Hope you have a great time.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

We are HERE. ! ! Got in late last night, and of course, for us, it was much later, like 3AM. Slept like the proverbial log (why do we SAY that ? )
    Anyway, this place is like a whole shopping mall, it is so huge, and all kinds of shops. It is called Hilton Hawaiian Village, and it truly looks like a village.
    Here is the view from our balcony on the 17th floor, taken when we arrived last night.
    Will send more pictures later, but we are headed out to find coffee and see the sights next.
    FCE9F782-C7DD-4146-B152-1465ED82FDBF.jpeg

14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Enjoy, @Yvonne Smith!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

It's exciting, even in a photo. :)