I Am Having Massive Trouble With Dmv In California

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Denise Evans, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I am trying to license and register my vehicle, and of course, get a CA driver's license.

I have had my maiden name for like 20 years now, since divorce. So at one time, I did live in CA when I moved there from Oregon. So back then, I of course got set up with a CA drivers license etc.

Now, DMV here in CA is saying that I need proof of my divorce, ok, can get that, and they want to make sure I had a stipulation in there to go back to my maiden name. I did. I remember reading the judges/or his secretary's input that I was allowed to go back to my maiden name.

So all my id for the last many years, is under my maiden name, including my SS card, which I had to show proof to get that changed somewhere around 95. I called the court records where the divorce was finalized and they tell me they see no stipulation for going back to Evans. But he also said, things/procedures have changed since then.

I'm confused and upset because I know that social security would never "just" allow me to change my name without proof, so I KNOW I had it back then. So in the meantime, DMV here in CA is telling me I can't do any of this until I show them proof of the name change??

Does this make sense to anyone, I mean what I am typing because it's just another bunch of crud I have to deal with. I wished I'd stayed in Oregon. Please don't ask me why I moved here. It's a memory I would rather forget as best I can:( denise

2. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

Sorry Denise. California has run off a lot of good people. My daughter had to pay extra to get her name legally changed in a divorce. What she did was drop her middle name and take her maiden last name and make it legally her middle name. Then she took her new hubby's last name. I think it was about $75 dollars and that was about 10 years ago. (She only had to pay because she wanted to change her middle name) If you are getting too much grief maybe you should go through the legal process again to change it? I hope things go well for you at the DMV. Maybe you will get a nice person who is on the ball and can help you. There are 4 or 5 different DMVs within 60 miles at my house and sometimes each one will give you a different story. My husband and brother have both had a lot of trouble with one and would just get mad and go over to a different one. You know they are all suppose to work exactly the same way according to whatever California law is. They do a lot of dealing with old cars that people have lost the titles too and they are off the Calif record. Some you can get a new title in just a few minutes and then some of the people working there will make it as rough on you as they can. Let us know how it goes before the day is over or I'll be thinking you may have strangled a DMV employee and are sitting in jail. :)

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yikes, that sounds like a horror story Denise. Thank goodness I didn't change my name. I've never changed my name on my soc sec when I married and have had no problems. I lost my card long ago also. Just need to know my number. I did have trouble with my old cable provider when my husband died. I wanted to cancel them but it was in his name and they needed proof of his death or maybe even something more. It was a big hassle, so the next day I had my ex boyfriend call and pretend to be my husband and everything was okay. Idiots!

I also have 2 close DMVs to chose from. The Fresno one is packed and a filthy mess, the one in Clovis is clean, less crowded, newer and just a better experience.

Maybe try another one, Denise...or do what I always do...cry. :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  4. Denise Evans

Registered

Thanks, both of you. I think the crying sounds like my best, and easiest choice, LMBO! It is true about "who" you get to "supposedly" help you when you are only trying to be law-abiding. Someone here told me, I mean where I live, that we are so close to Oregon, some folks, never change their resident address.

Forget that, with my luck, I'd get caught over an old piece of junk truck. Well, I feel bad for saying that, it has been an amazing vehicle since 94. Took me 150,000 miles, with never a breakdown. I have kept it up with all the regular things, etc etc. but still, what a great, little truck. That's why I will go through this bs to keep it;)

5. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

http://www.californianamechangelaw.com/faq.asp

Denise..here is info on name changes in CA. I'm sorry for your trouble...maybe just get all your papers in a folder and make appt with DMV online. I do most everything online with DMV. My husband lost his drivers license last year and I made him an appt. to get another one. It wasn't too hard. Good luck, my friend.

6. Karen McKenzie

Registered

Linda Binning and Denise Evans like this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

Wow, I wonder if I could do it online?? I didn't think of that Karen!! Thank you thank you, I will try it!! denise

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I didn't even realize that Brown was still our Governor. :) I need to pay more attention.

Karen McKenzie likes this.
  9. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

He is???

Karen McKenzie and Chrissy Cross like this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yep, and I just double checked to make sure. Jerry Brown. He's 77, time flies.

Linda Binning and Karen McKenzie like this.
  11. Karen McKenzie

Registered

Lol, Brown is easy to forget.. :)

Linda Binning and Chrissy Cross like this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

And I just reminded all of you! :)

Linda Binning likes this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Denise, you could do a little two-step, as we did, when moving from Phoenix to Missouri. Our Arizona D.L.s are issued "for life", or till age 65, whichever expires first. Neighbor who moved with us in 1999, to MO, still has his AZ D.L. Cops who pull him over are satisfied when he tells them he owns property in both AZ and MO!

My AZ D.L. expired in MO when I turned 65, so I then had to get a MO D.L. Moving back to AZ, I again have their license, it's good until age 75. Then, re-test. My wife kind of "chickened out"; driving our Ranchero bearing AZ plates, she was pulled over because of no front plate. Told the cop AZ issues NO front plate; he let her go. She soon got MO D.L.!

Frank

Terry Page likes this.
  14. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

In the Uk our Driving licence is for life until 70 then you have to renew which is free every 3 years, it's simply a matter of ticking a box on a form stating you are still OK to drive, no retest of any sort involved, what that achieves I am not sure?

There is no age limit to driving here and I think most of us would fail the current driving test these days, I know I would fail the written test part.

You have to pay to change address here so when I last moved I used the licence until I was 70 and got a free change then as they don't charge for it. ;)

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I've always had to renew every 5 years in the states I've lived in. Sometimes it was just sending a check by mail. Last year I had to go in and get new pic and vision test. I drive for 6 years in Hungary on my Indiana DL. Actually expired while I was there but the few times I got pulled over, they just looked at it and said ok. Don't think they knew what they were even looking at.

Linda Binning and Frank Sanoica like this.