Wonderful Apple Watch!

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Now you have me thinking about it, I'll take a good look at my daughter's when I go for thanksgiving. :)

I'll try hers on and see how it feels.

It's the calling 911 that peaked my interest....darn you, @Yvonne Smith :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It does have to be snug on your wrist, @Chrissy Cross , but that is just for checking your heart rate. You can have that free phone app that does that, it just doesn’t monitor it all the time like the Apple Watch does.
    I haven’t worn a watch for a long time either, but since I used to wear one (for years), it didn’t take long to start feeling familiar again.
    I think that trying one when you are at your daughter’s is a great idea, and that way you can see which features would be helpful for you, and how you like wearing it.
    For me, the benefits outweigh the inconvenience of having a watch on my wrist, but that might not be true for everyone.
    Here is the webpage that shows how the emergency calls work. It not only calls 911, it also alerts your emergency contacts and lets them know your location.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206983

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I probably wouldn't wear it snug because my HR isn't that much of a concern for me.

I think I have issues with things touching me, lol. I can't stand to wear a bra and it's not even because of the discomfort but the straps bug me. Cami straps bother me also.

I'm very particular or maybe the word is peculiar:)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just emailed that link to my daughter and said maybe I want one for Christmas. :)

Would I need cellular?

My daughter needs it because she runs but I'm always by my iPhone.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Oh dear, now I have corrupted you, too. Welcome to the Dark Side (as my kids say).

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ha ha! :)

7. Yvonne Smith

I have been wondering how it turned out with you trying the Apple Watch when you visited your daughter and family over Thanksgiving holiday, @Chrissy Cross . Did you wear one of her watches, and if you did, what did you think about it ?
    The longer I have this one, the better that I like it, and I have added a couple other health apps that sync with the Apple Watch; so I can monitor my heart health even better now.

I found this terrific video of a group of Seniors looking at and trying an Apple Watch for the first time.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I've looked at them in the Apple store and they look cheap, like the kind that aren't even kept in the locked case in the jewelry department at Pennies. I don't get it. I don't want to deal with so tiny of a screen, and since I'd need to have an iPhone anyhow, I just don't see the point to them. Once they come up with one that will replace the iPhone, I'll be standing in line, though.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I did try wearing it, but not for long. Don't know if I can get used to one, still thinking about it.

Although when we were driving home from dropping grandson off at Cal Poly and traffic was bad she took an exit and I was impressed how the watch vibrated when she was supposed to turn.

That's a plus for me.

I'm still on the fence though, no matter what great features it has if I'm not going to wear it then no point.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

That is absolutely correct, @Chrissy Cross ! No matter what the watch can do, it can’t do it if you are not wearing it.
    One of the features that I like is that I can easily see who is calling me, and “answer the phone “ with my watch when I am driving. It is not disruptive like trying to get the phone out, see who is calling and then drive with the phone up to my ear.
    With the watch, it shows who is calling me, and if it is a number I do not recognize, I just hold my hand over the front of the phone, and it stops the call. If it is someone I know and I want to answer the phone, I just tap the green button, just like on the phone, and I am immediately on speakerphone with that person, all with my hands still on the steering wheel of my car.
    I have not had any reason to use the maps app; but I can see how handy that would be when you are driving also.
    Probably, within a week of getting it, I was wearing it and not even noticing that I had it on, so getting used to wearing a watch again was not an issue for me.

I don’t think that there is a way that something small enough to wear on your wrist will replace a smartphone, @Ken Anderson ; but I do think that it is a worthwhile addition to the phone because many of the things you need to access the phone to do CAN easily be done with the Apple Watch .
    I was concerned about the small screen, too, especially since most of the pictures show the screen with all of the little “bubbles” on it. it turns out that you can either have the bubbles, or you can have everything in a list; but even that, I do not make much use of.
    There are so many different watch faces, both digital and old-fashioned looking , that you can choose whichever one suits you best, and easily change the look anytime you want.
    You can also set the little icons that show things like date, temperature, battery, heart rate, and activity, so that any watch face can be composed of the things you most want to look at.
    I also use Siri when i want to start an activity, so I do not even have to scroll through the little screen for that, and I am sure that it would work for other programs as well.
    Now that the new cellular Apple Watch has come out, you do not even need to have the iPhone for the watch to work and connect to everything, since it just connects to cellular instead of to your phone.

My main concern is being able to track my health, and see what my heart is doing; so if the Apple Watch didn’t do anything else besides that, it would be a great benefit to me.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My daughter loves it and she has a Rolex that she used to wear to work but now she says she prefers wearing her Iwatch and feels bad about the expensive Rolex her hubby got her since she never wears it anymore.

She still tries to put out it on when they go to the country club but she feels lost without her iwatch.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Just another thing that I thought of that is awesome........ the watch has an SOS built in. Suppose you fell and could not get up, or were in a car accident, or just about any other emergency. Simply by pressing and holding the side button on the watch, it will call 911 for you, and if you program another emergency number, it will call that person as well.
    I was just thinking about this feature yesterday when @Ina I. Wonder was talking to me about installing one of those 2-way radio intercom systems in every room of her house in case she falls. She said that she has to be able to get to the unit to call for help, and then her grandson can hear it from his room and come to help her.
    This should work fine for her, I would think; but with the Apple Watch, it is always right there on your wrist when you need to call for help.

13. Yvonne Smith

Just an update on how I am getting along with the Apple Watch.
    The longer I have it, the more I like it! I am actually getting mor exercise since I wear the watch, because it keeps me focused on getting my “rings” closed each day.
    One ring shows how many calories you are burning, another shows the time you spend in active exercise, and the third one reminds me to get up for a few mintues and walk around at least once an hour.
    At first, I was afraid to wear the watch when I was swimming, but when Robin and I were at the ocean at Cocoa Beach (in Florida) and I got towed under and fell into the ocean (not deep, thankfully), I learned that I would not drown the watch if it did get wet. So, the rest of that vacation week, I wore the watch when I was swimming in the pool at the hotel each day.
    Now, I always wear the watch when I am swimming at the fitness center, and it tracks my laps in the pool. I was swimming about 1/4 mile at first, but I have been pushing myself harder, and today I swam almost a half mile; so you know that I am going to be cutting short the hot tub time, and spend longer swimming so I can break that record.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Well, I don't approve, so there.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Oh, dear....... Please don’t ban me !
    What is it that you don’t approve ? The watch ? The Swimming ? Falling into the ocean, maybe ? (I am fine with you not approving of that part, by the way)
    Maybe, it is the exercise you don’t approve of ?

Since I am not going to stop any of these things (except for falling in the ocean), I guess I will have to do it in secret and not report it to everyone....... will that work ?

Ken Anderson likes this.