Wonderful Apple Watch!

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

That's right, Bobby...it has no practical value outside of a high voltage effects laboratory.

I just think those mighty discharges are breathtaking!

Hal

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Does anyone use Apple Pay with an Apple Watch or iPhone? Our banking world is in a constant state of motion, too. We have banks for all sorts of customers. One of those banks is very popular among low income people who often don't want to or can't use online banking, are no computer enthusiasts, usually have no smart phone let alone an iPhone or an Apple watch, who prefer paying cash and bank with one of those many brick and mortar branches that are not far away from anyone's home.

That very bank has now come up with something quite bizarre: They are going to introduce Apple Pay to exactly that customer base described above. Since Apple devices of all sorts are not very popular over here the question is whether Apple Pay also works with Android OS or not? Anyway, the rationale for this move is beyond me. Do they think their clientele will change? It can only be understood as a test to find out how ready customers are for the next move in banking.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

@Thomas Stearn -- I do not use Apple pay, but here's some information about it. It is used with Apple iOS devices:

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/how-does-apple-pay-work/

Apple Pay supported devices

Apple Pay works with:

• iPhone SE and later
    • iPad mini 3 and 4, iPad Air 2, iPad 5th and 6th generation, iPad Pro and iPad Pro (3rd generation)
    • Apple Watch (any version)
    • Mac models with Touch ID
    • Mac models from 2012 or later in tandem with an Apple Pay-enabled iPhone or Apple Watch

Thomas Stearn and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

After a bit of a learning curve (since using a Fitbit for a couple of years), I am enjoying my new watch. I mostly use it as a fitness tracker and I really don't like the activity "rings" or the fact that I can't just lift my wrist and see the stats I want to see without touching a menu. But I'm finally getting used to it. One minor annoyance is that it doesn't count "stairs climbed" accurately and seems to miss about half the trips up the stairs, which is fairly common with most trackers.

Also, I have no use for the "Stand" tracking and don't know why they made that a permanent part of the daily target. It would be nice to have the ability to configure the rings.

Friday.PNG

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Oh you are so much agonna get hooked on doze rings I betcha.

Just a bit of advice. The green ring is fickled. It gives you very little credit for exercise time if you put it on indoor or outdoor walk.
    It depends on how honest with yourself you are but if you’re actually out in the yard doing yard work or moving stuff around in the house or even using your muscles to vacuum the floor, put your setting on “strength training”. Yeah, I know it has a character with a barbell on it and again, a lot depends on how honest you are but you’ll get full credit for exercise plus your caloric value follows your heartbeat a lot closer on strength training.
    For some folks, it’s an honest burden for them to put one foot in front of the other so I wouldn’t blame them a bit if they used that same exercise face instead of any other unless, they’re swimming.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I really don't like the rings. :D I don't use any workout settings when doing "normal" stuff like vacuuming. The only time I want credit for exercise is when I'm actually exercising beyond the normal day-to-day. I try to do 2-3 miles a day on the treadmill or with a workout video, so when I start exercising my watch pops up a little box that says "start workout?" and I select yes.

My primary focus is heart rate and number of steps a day. Which reminds me... yesterday I took my watch off to dry the sweat off the sensors and while holding it in my hand, the heart rate raced to over 200! I was like "whaaaa?" It wasn't even on my wrist (besides the fact that my heart rate has never been to 200, especially lately.) :D:D

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

How are you liking the new Apple Watch, @Beth Gallagher ?

I wore the old band out on mine, and just got a pretty new band for it.

35119D0D-6298-42AE-9869-3F66D1502755.jpeg

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

You must have radar, Yvonne. I was just being annoyed with my Apple watch again. :mad: I'm going to have to send it in to be checked because it keeps giving a high heart rate alarm when I am not wearing it. I have tried resetting it and all the tricks I could find on the Apple support forum.

At my sister's it was laying on the dresser and woke me up in the middle of the night saying my heart rate was 194. :rolleyes: I hate that I can't have confidence in the HR sensors because that was a big reason for the purchase.

I like your new watch band. It's fun to change up the look.

9. Yvonne Smith

I think that when the watch is not on your wrist, and it tries to sense your heart rate, it gets “confused” (for lack of a better definition). Mine does that occasionally, but since I wear it almost 24 hours a day, it is not usually a problem.
    As long as it is giving you the right heart rate when you have the watch on, I think that you do not need to be concerned about the readings when it is not on.
    I like to know what my heart is doing at night when I am sleeping , so I wear it all of the time, except when I am charging it.
    Sometimes, my heart stops beating, and then it shows a drop down into the 40’s, but then my pacemaker kicks in and gets it going again and back up to 60.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

There is a "wrist detection" mode that is turned on in the app. As I understand it, the watch should sense when it is actually on the wrist when this is on and not attempt to register heart rate, etc. I don't feel confident that I am getting reliable readings but it is frustrating trying to figure it out.

Others who have reported this problem on the Apple community forum have been advised to return their watch for repair/replacement. I am going to try to chat with a support person but wait times are long these days.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

If you still have the Fitbit, maybe you can wear them both for a bit and see if they are reporting the same heart rate ?
    Talking with apple support sounds like a great idea, too !
    Good luck with this, Beth.....

12. Yvonne Smith

I just watched the Apple presentation for the new Apple Watch series 6, and it does have some outstanding new features, so it might have been better to have waited and got one of the newest watches, @Beth Gallagher .
    Besides all of the great apps for health, the Apple Watch now also measures your blood level oxygen, and can tell you how well your heart and lungs are working together to give your body oxygen.
    It comes in some really pretty new colors (as does the newest ipad) , and they even have family plans for kids or family members who don’t use their own iPhone.

Here is the link for the new Apple Event that happened this morning.

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Looks nice, Yvonne. I have to say that I have already lost interest in my Apple watch (again). I'm back to wearing my Fitbit which has the features I like best. Fitbit is also releasing a new smart watch version soon that will be loaded with features. Frankly I'm on overload with apps, etc.; I suppose I'm not the target audience for new technology. :D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

I am just reading today that there might be problems because the new iOS 14 was not expected to be rolled out so soon, and some developers are not ready for it yet..
    I am not sure if this will affect the programs that I already use, but I am considering waiting for a few days before downloading the new iOS this time.

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I think I have mine set to update automatically, so thanks for the heads-up.