I Am Back

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Joyce Mcgregor, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

I have not been here foe some time due to computer issues. Buy Yvonne helped me get an older IPad so I am back in business. Not much interesting going on in my life right now. I have made friends with a gentleman who lives in the apartments we spend a little time together...watching tv and sharing meals. I have also found a man who lived near me before I moved to Mississippi.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Glad you're back!

So, you're the one hogging all the men! :)

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Very nice to see you.

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Welcome back.

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It's good to "see" you here again @Joyce Mcgregor. :) And even better to hear you are doing well. :)

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

It is looking like this old of an ipad is going to not let Evelyn do everything that she wants to do, and part of that is due to the old iOS it uses and part is just because the early iPad was not designed to do all of the things we take for granted now.
    I am going to take my iPad Mini down tomorrow and set that up for her to use. It has the newest iOS, so we can put on all of the apps she wants, and I have a little keyboard for it as well.
    Since it does not have cellular, she will still have to send texts with the iPhone, but at least she can do everything else with the ipad. We got Facebook to download; but not Messenger, and since her daughter does not have an ipad or phone, she had no way to message her except by using the phone to text.
    She will still have to do that, but at least she can use Facebook and Messenger to chat with her friends and family.

I think that until after Christmas, most all of the older iPads will be expensive , and after that, people will have new ones they got at Christmas, and I can find a better used one for a cheaper price than right now.

Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yep, I remember that being the main issue with my first iPad. Think it wouldn't upgrade past 5.0 iOS or something similar.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

I thought that it would be okay for most of the basic things she needed to do, and it does do most of them; but it is important to her to be able to chat with her family.
    Some of the programs will run with the old iOS, and have an older version, and some don’t. I was able to download the Messenger app; but I can’t get it to work. Next , I used the website for facebook/messenger, and that won’t let her send a message either , for some reason.
    So, for somethings , we were able to find a work-around, and some not.
    The mini will be a good all-around tablet for her, since it is easy to take along when she has a dr. Appoint, and has to sit somewhere and wait, and she can use the Kindle app to read books.
    The Kindle Fire was used when I gave it to her, and she has had it 3-4 years now, so it is pretty well worn out , too. I bought it used on ebay, so it is one of the older Fire versions, but still works for reading books with.

Babs Hunt and Chrissy Cross like this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I have an old mini and it's as slow as molasses...don't think I can upgrade on that either...forgot I even had it.

11. Yvonne Smith

Your mini might be a first generation one, and they are past where they can update. I checked it out before i bought one, and the Mini 2 is able to update still.
    I might still work for easy things like reading, or just carrying along when you go to an appointment and want to be able to check facebook or email or send messages.
    I was using mine for the self-improvement apps that I listen to at night; but I can do that with my phone as well; and leave the mini for Evelyn to use.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, I think it is first generation.

I check things on my iPhone when I'm out. It's big enough for me to be able to even post on here with it and I do many times, especially when I'm at the drs or therapy.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

You can easily get at least $100 for it on ebay if you decide to sell it, maybe more since people are shopping for even the used ones right now.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I would be too if I had two men in tow! :)

Just kidding @Joyce Mcgregor. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.