Husband And Wife Relationships

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Marie Mallery, Mar 26, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

It keeps the humor in the relationship is important.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

We had 62 very special years

3. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

45th coming around the long and winding road for us as well.

4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

What a two way blessing.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

No ……it’s our second marriage @Marie Mallery. 35 years in September

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  6. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

My only marriage was seven awful years. I'm not looking for any more weddings.

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Second time around is best for many people. As long as your happy where your at, no need to change things.

8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I only married once and determined it would be my only marriage. I married later than many to make sure.

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I find it interesting that some number of folks need one failed marriage to refine what they really want, and to have their expectations "right-sized."

The stats say that second marriages do not have high success rates, but that's not been my personal observation.

Marie Mallery and Dwight Ward like this.
  10. John Brunner

Mine went less that 2 years. We were young.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My first husband and I were 18 years old when we married, though I believe back then 18 was a lot older than now. :D That marriage produced two wonderful sons and my ex and I are still friends, so it wasn't a total bust. If I had been more patient and mature, we'd probably still be married today but I was foolish. Thankfully I found a second man willing to put up with me and we've had a great marriage and still like each other to boot.

12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It has been my impression that most folks marry too young, before they really know what they want in life. I had most of my education behind me and military service was behind me as well. My wife was younger but she has put up with my quirks all these years and dealt with and home-schooled six children to boot.

13. John Brunner

My ex and I also remained friends. She moved to Florida, but when she would come to town to visit her mother, I'd go over and have dinner with them. I'd also stop by my ex-MIL's for holidays. I liked her family a lot more than I liked mine.

14. John Brunner

I've been around home-schooled kids. They are generally very smart and emotionally well-grounded.

My neighbors outside of DC had 2 boys they home schooled, and I would go watch them when the folks did Date Night (the kids were always asking when the parents were gonna go out so I could come over and play.) The kids were allowed one hour of "screen time" per day: television, videos, games, internet, whatever. Sixty minutes to use as they chose.

We would play Boggle, with the rule change that you did not get penalized for making up words, but you had to support your words by finding them in the dictionary. We got more giggles and learned so much by just going through the dictionary seeking the made-up stuff, and discovering the oddities in our language.

The youngest was 5 at the time and had just learned how to pay chess. I used to play in high school and remembered a little but not too much. So we were playing, and I changed my mind on a move. I went to move my piece back to where it was when the rules started coming back to me. "I just remembered, I can't move my man once I've taken my finger off of it." The 5 year old looked at me and said "I know. That's the second time this game you did that." Smart darned kids.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It does really puzzle me why the divorce rate is so high these days.

When most of us were sprouting our wings, shacking up was considered a sort of taboo whereas now it’s common place. In the past, young adults really didn’t know what they (we) were getting into but these kids have had the chance to get past the “lust is love” stage and should know who snores and who doesn’t spray after using the john.

It’s a given that some of our young people have taken a vow of chastity and do indeed wait until the wedding night to start “housekeeping” so I kinda understand what problems they are facing coupled with the ease of getting a divorce why things don’t work out.
    But the ones who have made some commitment and lived together for a time and then get married just to get a divorce a year later is strange to me.

Dunno. Maybe it’s that big commitment with a ring and the documentation to back it up that makes things go awry.