Hurricane Season Starts Early, Again

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Beth Gallagher, May 22, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

2. John Brunner

I found the Weather Channel's rebuttal to the criticism of the weather guy faking it:

"It's important to note that the two individuals in the background are walking on concrete, while Seidel [the weather guy] tries to maintain his footing on wet grass. Seidel was exhausted after reporting on air until 1AM."

So in the spirit of the topic, I guess the B.S. season shall also get off to an early start...but it's OK. They're experts.

In conclusion, I give you "Chameleon Impersonating Weatherguy"​

Man, it sure is windy out here!!

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Marie Mallery and Jim Brown like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Then there's this, heehee.

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

My quandary with folks who live in areas that are going to get blown away or sustain damage time and again, not every year, but time and again usually, Yet they keep rebuilding in the same spot. They are gambling it will never happen again or it is only a guess what is wrong with them. Must be people have more money or more assistance to rebuilt than good sense.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

FEMA, baby. Those places aren't cheap, and we insure the millionaires who own them.

An interesting side-note: I have a friend who's a contractor. He says that when some of those homes are destroyed, the ever-shifting waterline sometimes reduces the size of their lot such that they cannot rebuild because of current housing codes.

-If you're already there, the existing structure gets grandfathered.
    -You wanna replace a destroyed home? Gotta comply with the new regs.

Talk about an expensive sandbox.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Bill Boggs likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I am just looking at the radar weather from storm Elsa, and it looks like ALL of Maine is buried in thunderstorms it right now ! New York has flooding and people going around on Ski-doo’s (or what ever they call those water ski boat things), and they have the police out with the giant trucks rescuing people.
    Are you doing okay up there, @Ken Anderson ?

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I wouldn't believe everything you read. It's rained off and on today but nothing dramatic has been going on so far. We generally get a lot of rain in the spring and summer, and we've had perhaps a little less of it so far this year. There hasn't been any thunder or lightning, at least not yet. Is Dr. Fauci issuing storm warnings now?

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Maybe it is that silly Weather Channel guy again; have you seen any sign of him out there waving back and forth like he is in a hurricane ?
    Anyway, glad that you and Michelle and the kitties are all doing okay.

Here is what my WC radar shows.

126B9E48-5549-4E9C-BC2D-221EA26697BB.jpeg

Marie Mallery likes this.
  9. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Here bin southern vee have had rain all day , sometimes heavy sometimes not. It is just drizzle now

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

IMG_0108.jpeg

At the moment, it's raining but I wouldn't call it a storm. It's more of a normal summer rain. Maybe it'll get worse later.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Weather.com says to expect occasional rain to end at 11:45 pm, so it doesn't look like we're going to see much.

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

WRAL had nonstop coverage of the "Storm" yesterday. OMG! The winds at my house got up to 10 miles per hour! I saw lightening strike nine times at an iron wash pot blowing across the yard before it hit it! We did have some fairly heavy rain but that's not unusual. If I hadn't known it was a tropical storm, I would have thought it was just a rainy day.

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Hurricane Ida is expected to pummel Louisiana as a Category 4 storm on Sunday - exactly 16 years after Katrina

Wow. This is some scary stuff. I'm so sad for Louisiana but so glad it hasn't turned this way. I really don't need a hurricane right now.

"Forecasters at the National Hurricane Center expect Ida to hit Louisiana and Mississippi as a Category 4 storm with winds of 140 mph on Sunday. Ida is expected to make landfall on the same date that Hurricane Katrina struck the area catastrophically 16 years ago.

"Ida is expected to be an extremely dangerous major hurricane when it reaches the coast of Louisiana," the NHC forecast warned on Friday evening.

Ida was still a tropical storm early on Friday but it strengthened into a hurricane by the afternoon. As of 5 p.m. ET, the storm had crossed the Isle of Youth and was 90 miles southwest of Havana. It's moving northwest, towards western Cuba, at 15 mph with 80-mph winds."

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Just wanted to let y'all know that we aren't going to see much from Ida here in Lafayette, Louisiana...and we all thank God for this!

15. John Brunner

That's good news. We've had bad afternoon/evening storms in the middle of Virginia the past couple of days (more warnings issued this evening), but don't expect to see rain from Ida until Thursday & Friday.

Don Alaska likes this.