Hurricane Harvey

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Yvonne Smith, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I passed that information along to her , and Ina also asked me to thank everyone here who has been praying and worrying about her. Hopefully, a day's rest will help her a lot, and she will be better again by tomorrow. Her health was in no way ready to have to deal with this hurricane and flooding, so we need to still keep her in our prayers for recovery.

Joe Riley likes this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Absolutely.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Having gone through that checkpoint many time, with or without Mexican-American friends, they don't seem to be focusing on any particular group of people.

4. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

This is a case where the illegals probably know the law better than most Americans. The border patrol has been given the go ahead twice in the past 40 years by the Supreme Court to profile... based on race. The ACLU has repeatedly tried to get this overturned, but given both Supreme Court decisions were made by a "liberal" court, the likelihood of change in the current environment is practically nil.
    The border patrol area of operation...
    upload_2017-8-29_14-35-39.png

https://www.aclu.org/blog/immigrant...hecking-border-patrol-checkpoints-stop-racial

From the Liberal Court...
    Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gunar-olsen/how-the-supreme-court-aut_b_9061838.html

5. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

the inevitable looting takes place. the Gov has ordered in the Guard with orders to shoot.

52" of rain i hear is a national record

6. Gary Ridenour

Registered

7. Gary Ridenour

Registered

[​IMG]
    Beneath this flag...lies the body of a true American Hero. A 30 year veteran Houston Police Officer, Sgt. Steve Perez drowned in his patrol car while searching for victims of Hurricane Harvey. May you rest in peace brother...you are not forgotten.

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I was referring to all races helping and aiding in getting out of flood waters and getting to higher ground.Of giving and assisting each other in many ways during a crisis.:)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

Here is the link to the Houston area Hydrologic map. If you hover the pointer over each circle, it should cause the local reading to pop up.
    For reference the following map indicates points of reference.
    A. indicates areas in and around lakes that are overflowing, but they flow westward to the San Jacinto river.
    B. is upstream on Green's Bayou and is now below flood stage.
    C. is the approximate gauge nearest to @Ina I. Wonder, and should soon be below flood stage.
    D. is downstream on Green's Bayou. It appears to be broken but the estimated rate of fall indicates it is falling as well.
    upload_2017-8-29_22-11-38.png
    The purple areas south and east of Houston flow into buffalo bayou which in turns flows into the San Jacinto. The Green's Bayou flows into buffalo bayou as well. The buffalo bayou could be slowing the rate of fall for Green's Bayou.
    The weather forecast indicates a possible 50% chance of rain in the early morning hours of Wednesday and not much thereafter or before.
    The really big question in the days to come will be who had damage and did not have flood insurance? Everything I read indicates that only 15% of Houston property owners had flood insurance. Am I correct in assuming that @Ina I. Wonder did not sustain flood damage?

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

From what Ina has told me, she did not have flooding inside of her house; but she had around 3' of water in her yard. I am concerned about her Kia Sportage.
    Three feet would have to put the water up into the part where the doors are, and well into the engine and transmission areas of her vehicle. It is a newer model vehicle, so maybe it is watertight, and since it has not been started, maybe no water can get into the engine either.
    If there is damage to the vehicle, maybe it is covered by her homeowners or her automobile policy.
    Popssibly, there could be damage to the outside of her house; but until she can actually get outside to look at everything, it might be hard for her to tell.

Joe Riley likes this.
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Now we have lots of merchants raising their prices sky high too! How sad that a person could take advantage of people in a time of crisis.

Since this is not allowed during times like this...I wonder what they do to the merchants who are doing this? Do they just slap them with a fine? If so that sure doesn't help those they cheated get back the extra money they had to pay for things.

12. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't read this thread, but after seeing the devastation in Houston and the warnings that it's heading towards Louisiana today and tomorrow, I just wanted to check that any of you who live in those areas are ok...

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

The principle of supply and demand should dictate that where the supply is lower, the prices are higher. It makes sense to me that if I am running a store and I am down to one shelf full of bottled water, and cannot restock because of a storm, that water is more valuable, and I should be able to charge more.

14. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Good morning!!! We made it. I finally was able to sleep yesterday. I can't remember ever being so tired before. The work wasn't all that bad, but the mental stress was unbelievable.

Out of the 90 something house in this circle of homes, my place, and the one I sold next door, managed to survive Harvey with what I consider minimal damage. I won't know the extent of the damage until we can walk the property.

The only water I actually got inside my home was a little water that seeped up through the hardwood floors, but I think a few good moppings with bleach water will help keep the mold away. I am so glad that this place is on piers. I think this is why we made it.

Today the plan is to get some more rest, and maybe to try and start my car. I wonder just how long I should wait before try to start it.

I truly thank each of you for your prayers, many people have lost so much and some everything, but most of us are alive.

Today, Houston turns 181 years old.

15. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson, first off, thank you for keeping Texas in your prayers.

Here, once a castastrophy has been declared, the prices are set at the price before the declaration. The fines are huge if you get caught gouging.

Those that are caught looting have been promised jail time if they are not shot.