Hurricane Harvey

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Yvonne Smith, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

IMG_5167.JPG IMG_5165.JPG IMG_5164.JPG IMG_5166.JPG IMG_5168.JPG I'm so tired, and I didn't get much rest last night, what with Harvey's unpredictability. As soon as the sun came up, we were able to see just what damage had occurred during the night to our homes and yards. I spent a couple of hours checking on the seniors in our neighborhood, and taking some cooked meals to those that had no power. Whenever we go through such bad weather, I always wonder why people buy election stove. I'm always happy I have a gas stove, and it's a fraction of the cost of electricity. At least with gas, if the power goes out, I can still cook.

Around 10:30am, Bobert and I helped round up the horses and cattle that had gotten loose. After any big storm that carries lightening, there are always animals that trod down their fencing. At least I got to drive one of those small recreational vehicles so I could keep the animals from wandering out of our neighborhood. It was one of times I was happy that there is only one road into and out of our area.

Our ground is so saturated after just one day of rain, that I am really beginning to worry about flooding in the next week. Here are some pictures I took around 10:00am. The first three are of the area across the street form me, and the last two are of my place.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I know. I have family in the Austin and San Antonio areas and they found it quite difficult during that time.

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Just turned on news:(...was hoping would not come to this. Try and stay safe best as you can....check in often here when you can.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

@Babs Hunt, I'm not seeing any of the FB posts.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am just messaging with @Ina I. Wonder , and here is what she wrote to me:

Been up all night. We can't even see our road, and the water is almost at my doorway. I got a call around 3:30 from a neighbor asking if I still had my father's Jon boat. So those of us that are still dry will be taking in those that are flooded out.

Thankfully, she is not flooded; but with more rain still coming in, she could still get water in her house. Please keep praying for her !

She says she has power intermittently , which also means water since she is on a well. She has a gas stove and can cook, and will try to help feed people who can't cook, and maybe take care of some that are flooded out. She said she probably will not be on the forum today; so whenever I hear from her, I will update everyone here.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  8. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

Is she the one that said something about Green's Bayou? If so, I made several river gauge posts here. There are two gauges for Green's Bayou.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yes, that is Ina. She lives fairly close. Here is a picture from my Find Friends, and you can see that she is near the bayou.
    IMG_0764.JPG

10. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith That appears to be this chart.
    upload_2017-8-27_9-0-31.png

According to the chart, it should be cresting by now. Of course it also rose very rapidly overnight.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know why Chrissy, as I can still see them. They were mostly from the local News channels in Houston showing how hard Harvey is hitting them. :( It's definitely not good news for most people over there. We still have relatives over there too so we all have been praying for their safety as well as @Ina I. Wonder and anyone else's from the Forum in that area. Praying for all those in Texas who have been and are being affected by Hurricane Harvey. :(

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

This is what I see in your post @Babs Hunt ...

IMG_1272.JPG

13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks, yes I'm on Facebook.:)

15. Yvonne Smith

Youtube also has live streaming from several stations where you can see pictures and video from Houston and the flood zone areas. Here is a link to one of these live broadcasts; but if you just do a youtube search for hurricane Harvey and check for ones that say "live", there are several other stations that are broadcasting continuous news.