Hurricane Harvey

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Yvonne Smith, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith ...nope we live way up from there ..over 250 miles. A town in
    Denton county Texas.
    However we do hv relatives and friends there. Just found out the relatives that got hit by Ike...are in vacation in Russia.
    I do hope once this is over all forum members will post their status update on here .

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Boy, sure have got a number of "thrill seeking" people today.

Am watching The Weather Channel and they are showing Harvey coming into Corpus Christi, Texas. Right behind a Reporter standing by a bay, and just down from a marina, was two people casually walking along a flood wall. A little while ago, watching the same Reporter, on the street were some vehicles stopped with people watching the Reporter.

However, I do remember when Mathew was 50 miles offshore from us, a Weather Channel Reporter was reporting in St. Augustine and a guy was walking behind him.

It's pretty obvious that these people don't care about their safety.

5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

This storm is going to hit shortly with the high tide. No one knows for sure what it will do. Slow moving storms are harder to predict. @Babs Hunt how is it looking over your way tonight? I have a friend in Lafayette I will contact later.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here is the latest video showing the possible tracks where they think that the storm might go next.

7. Bill Boggs

Registered

The eye is now ashore, came in about 9:10 pm 37 miles east of Corpus Christi. Be some people get wet.
    Should have said the eye touched shore.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    Spencer Berrett likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

In the twenty years that I lived in the southeastern tip of Texas, every reported hurricane was greatly exaggerated.

9. Bill Boggs

Registered

Most of them are, as is most everything else on 24/7 news. The one or two that wasn't was hardly ballyhooed at all
    but caused much more damaged as a tropical storm because it rained for a solid week or so.

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

We are doing fine here in Louisiana. Our prayers have been answered for Hurricane Harvey to keep moving further Northwest. Now we just keep praying for Hurricane Harvey to keep going away from Houston and us and to just keep diminishing in strength.

11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

7 hours ago.png

This is the latest I could find on our local News Channels on what they think Harvey will do. Most of this is good news for Houston and Lafayette.

12. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Morning all! The Creator is reminding us just who is truly in charge of our fates.

My grandson and I are still here. Our biggest problem now is flooding, and we're told that we'll have more rain for the next week. We are expecting 10 to 30 inches of rain. We live no more than a block's distance from Greens Bayou so that is our main concern for this coming week.

So far we still have power, but we have plenty of candles just in case. If power goes out, we lose our well as well.

I spent the last two days, showing Bobert how to prepare for a hurricane. Every container has been filled with water, and our pantry has enough emergency food supplies to carry us a week.

It's times like now that I really appreciate that my old log cabin has weathered and stood strong for almost 150 year.

I'll try to post again late this evening if possible.

13. Spencer Berrett

Spencer Berrett Veteran Member
    Registered

As a former resident of Houston, hurricanes are what I liked least about living in Texas. Pictures on the TV, Internet, and streaming devices do not portray the depth of the disaster. We did Ike & it was no fun and we were inland 100 miles at that. :eek: The suffering that results is horrifying. Our prayers are with you :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Spencer Berrett

Spencer Berrett Veteran Member
    Registered

Sounds like Tropical Storm Allison. My 4 Runner got flooded at the airport :(

We left Texas for a week because of Ike, and a bloody mess we did find when we came back. I had a friend in Dickinson who went without water and power for 3 weeks. It was no party.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  15. Bill Boggs

Registered

Sounds like you're in fairly good shape but keep your eyes on that bayou.

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.