Hurricane Harvey

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Yvonne Smith, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The NOAA hurricane page is showing hurricane Harvey strengthening, and it is supposed to come ashore by this weekend. From the map, it looks like not only Texas, but also Louisiana and Mississippi will be getting at least the heavy rainfall, if not the storm itself.
    It is headed in a northwest direction, so it looks like the worst of it will be closer to San Antonio than it is to Houston.
    I know we have several people here that live in the states that will be affected, and hopefully they are prepared in case of power loss or flooding.
    Sending prayers for safety to all of you that are in the path of this hurricane. Please let us know how you are doing, and know we will be worrying about all of you.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I wonder if they got all the levies rebuilt in New Orleans? They might in for a lot of rain again.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Harvey is now considered to be a cat 3 hurricane, and they are advising people to get to somewhere safe. I just talked to @Ina I. Wonder , and she has been at the store and stocking up on supplies. She told me before that where she lives they do not usually get flooding, and the house should be okay, even if she can't go anywhere.
    Here is a video showing all of the possibilities of how they think this storm could go. There is also a tropical storm near western Florida, which will probably go across Florida (maybe near @Cody Fousnaugh ?) and then out into the Atlantic; but it could also swirl around into the gulf again and hit either Florida again or even as far west as Mississippi or Louisiana.
    Because there is a colder front moving south across Tennessee and Alabama , this could also keep the storm from moving and then it would be even worse for the Gulf States.

4. Shirley Martin

Registered

That sounds scary. I'd be headed for higher ground.

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

6. Yvonne Smith

Your post is gone, @Babs Hunt . What did it say ?

7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ina I. Wonder and 2 friends of mine who are members of another forum lives in texas, .. it's quite worrying for me..I hope , and pray everyone who lives in those areas manage to get to safety...

Just as an aside...is a Levie similar to a Flood wall ?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It is showing it to me. It is a video from our local weather channel updating us about Hurricane Harvey.

9. Shirley Martin

Registered

@Holly Saunders ,,,,, I think so.

Ooops! I misspelled it. A levee is an earthen wall built to hold back water. They are a lot of them around New Orleans. New Orleans is actually below sea level so way back then they built levees to hold back the water.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Holly Saunders likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Then it is probably the privacy settings. The caption says that the post has been removed or the privacy settings have changed. So what are they tell you ? Do they think there will be a lot of flooding again, and are people evacuating ?

11. Shirley Martin

Registered

I can see it.

12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

The bad news is that Houston and where I live in Louisiana is on the east side of Hurricane Harvey so the rain, etc.is always worst on the east side. Right now I am praying for a miracle for Houston and us. We don't need flooding again like last year and my youngest daughter and her family are supposed to move into their new home this weekend.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Well, humph, just humph ! It must be just me, for some reason. It still says the same thing, not available.

15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know what is going on Yvonne. I even edited and reposted it. Maybe I could share it on my FB page and you could see it there since we are friends. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.