Hurricane Dorian

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Martin Alonzo, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

As we are in the middle of the 2019 hurricane season and have had only one so far there is another candidate out there. Dorian is a tropical storm forecasted to become a hurricane by Thursday. The track of this hurricane is headed for the Dominican Republic and we here in the D.R. want it because we have been in a yearlong drought. The track shows the hurricane hitting the D.R. and then limping away as a tropical depression total destroyed by the mountains.
    085210_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It hard to believe that people honestly Want a hurricane but I do understand your point Martin. I do hope for everyone’s sake that it’s a comparatively mild one so you guys can get the benefits you need and not the more harsh results.
    By the bye @Martin Alonzo; Glad to see ya! I think we were all worrying a bit about you.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Good to see you back again, @Martin Alonzo , we have all been concerned that you have maybe been sick or that something had happened. Like Bobby said, hoping that you get enough rain from the hurricane to end the drought, but not such a severe one that it does a lot of damage.
    We were just talking about the fact that there seems not to have been many hurricanes at all this year, compared to some other years.

4. Martin Alonzo

Registered

When they started the global warming scam they said there would be a lot more hurricanes which did not happen so probably the lack of hurricanes is caused by GW Ha Ha

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Ditto, Yvonne and Bobby...Martin, we were all very concerned for you, thought you may be ill..I'm very pleased to see you..

Hopefully the forecast is right at the hurricane weakens as it meeats the DR... but that you get much needed Rain.

My daughter hasn't had rain for months, and temps of 100 plus in Southern Spain.. and today out of the blue they were hit by a Monsoon-like storm.. .She could barely see to drive even with fast wipers on!!

Here in the East of England, today we have 92 degrees.. verrrry hot, and humid!!

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We sure are glad we left Florida before the Hurricane Season really kicked in. We need some "wet weather" as well. Yesterday the temp here was 97, but with only 15% humidity. Much, much more comfortable than what we use to have it.

Bess Barber and Nancy Hart like this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  8. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Martin Alonzo If it stays within current forecast, you could get the heavy rains you guys need with a minimum of any wind damage. There doesn't seem to be anything around that would cause it to become a bigger storm or do anything wacky.

images - 2019-08-26T170205.558.jpeg

Shirley Martin likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi Martin!! Nice to see you posting again. I hope you get some rain but not so much storm!! Be safe.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I also hope the y'all get the rain but not flooding rains.

Bess Barber likes this.
  11. Martin Alonzo

Registered

After thousands of cattle dying because of the drought it looks like the storm is not going to get here. 084950_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

12. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Devastating hurricanes are given a great deal of media coverage often giving an unreal understanding of the frequency of such storms. In fact, hurricanes in the Dominican Republic are not very common. In the past 80 years only 11 have hit the Dominican Republic. While hurricane season lasts from June 1 until November 30, September is the peak month for storms. The year 2003 was a rare exception with storms beginning in April and ending in December.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Glad we moved from Jacksonville (and Florida) when we did!

14. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

Shut up. :p

I checked all the batteries and bought extra water and food today. Jacksonville rarely gets a direct hit, but even if it makes landfall in Daytona, we'll have issues. Usually, all is OK till your phone and WIFI dies. Then you are just sitting in the dark listening to howling sounds and branches smacking down on the roof. Then there is the clean up mess. Anyway, enjoy your sunny day my friend.

@Ken Anderson You may want to get ready to change the thread title. :D The tropical storm is now a Cat 3 hurricane somewhat barreling towards my direction.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

We had a family conference call earlier today to discuss the best location for all of us to cluster to since all of us are lined up along the eastern Florida coastline. Truth is, they don't know where it will be making landfall. By the time we know, there won't be enough gas left to make the trip and afterwards, you can't get home for a few days until gas trucks finally are able to get back in. So, we've decided to all stay put and avoid the millions of cars heading north.

The grocery stores are already running out of water, bread, crackers, lunch meat and anything else useful when there is no electricity and gas shortages are being reported. It just becomes a big crappy ordeal every time.

They are predicting a CAT 4 direct hit at some point ......on some day........no one knows. It will be a big mess for the whole state. I didn't realize it had gotten this big.

This is Dorian from the sky:

download - 2019-08-29T184043.752.jpeg