Hummingbird Time In Georgia

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Allie Seay, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

Every year before the hummingbirds are here full force I spot one or two early on. My dad always called them scouts, and said they were sent ahead to scout for food. Or, as in my case, to demand it. I smile when I think about him saying that. As far as I know, my dad wasn't much of a bird watcher but he seemed to have hit that little fact dead on.

I think. though, the little birds are not so much scouting as they are announcing the imminent and joyful arrival of their fellows, as well as stating the fact that spring is here.

To say I spotted my two scouts just a little while ago would be misleading. They spotted me, as usual; and smacked against my kitchen window then hovered just long enough to be certain that I'd seen them.

They are royalty, and I will serve them. At least until they leave me again in the fall.

They know that, little darlings that they are.

Now where are those feeders?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm in Tennessee, just one state north of you, and we haven't seen them yet. But I'm glad to hear that they've made it to Georgia - that means they can't be too far away.

I like to feed them too, but I do it with flowers. I always plant ones that I know the hummingbirds, butterflies and honeybees will like. I love watching the hummingbirds fight each other to get to the "best" blooms. And the noise they make! :eek: If you've never seen a "charm" of hummingbirds, they sound like helicopters taking off or fighter jets dog fighting.

BTW, I had to look it up, a group of hummingbirds is called a charm or a troubling, which is probably more accurate, as the little buggers fight constantly.

Allie Seay likes this.
  3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I am glad you saw your sign of spring. We have seen the red breasted robins and the plants coming up but it is till cold.

Allie Seay likes this.
  4. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

I am in North Alabama and it is still a bit early for the hummers here. But I have washed out my feeders and am anxiously awaiting the next couple of weeks to pass so I can hang them out and watch for my little jewel-like visitors. I get such pleasure from watching them flit around off of my back porch. One house I lived in had a huge weeping willow in the backyard where I hung a dozen feeders. It was such fun to watch the males buzz around trying to stake their territories at the different feeders. I would stand at the kitchen sink washing dishes and watching the fun.

Yvonne Smith and Allie Seay like this.
  5. Allie Seay

Registered

Mal, I'm from Tennessee. I was born in Memphis but never really lived there. Sometimes it was like I did, though, as I spent a great deal of time there at my grandparent's house. I absolutely loved Memphis. Probably still would but there is no longer any reason for me to go there.

I lived in Chattanooga for a while, too, as a very young child. Then left the state of Tennessee for quite a while only to end up back there. First in Etowah and later in Johnson City. I spent some time in Elizabethton and in Knoxville also. And then back to Johnson City. So, aside from where I'm at now in Georgia, I lived in Johnson City for far more years than anywhere else. I think it's beautiful there. I love the mountains of east Tennessee.

Both charm and troubling seem to fit the little hummers well. It makes them sound kind of witchy, though.:)

Joyce, that's exactly what I do. Stand in the kitchen washing the dishes and watching the fun. I'm sure it won't be long before you're little friends show up in Alabama. They say that you should leave one feeder out all year in Georgia, as we are supposed to have one variety that does not leave for the winter. I tried leaving one feeder out this past winter, but finally ended up taking it in because I never saw a single one of the hummers that are said to remain.

6. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Allie Seay, we just moved to TN about two years ago. We're north of Crossville, but our son goes to college in Nashville - working on his PhD. We absolutely love it here, the State Park system is amazing. All the waterfalls, rivers, rapids, rock formations, rock caves, natural rock bridges, meadows, canyons and the beautiful vistas from the top of the Cumberland Plateau. I'm originally from Virginia, which is just one state away, but the geology and geography are so different!

When I looked it up, I was extremely amused that those two terms are used to describe a group of hummingbirds. They are so charming, but they do like to cause trouble. Both words fit them so well. Obviously, someone who was familiar with hummingbirds came up with the terms.

Allie Seay likes this.
  7. Allie Seay

Registered

We have a picture window in our master bath.

(I know. Who would put a picture window over their tub? We didn't plan it that way. It's just the way it was when we bought the house, but I find that Ken and I both love to lay in the tub and look up through that window.)

Anyway, back to the story. One day I was at the mirror in the bathroom when a big thump came from the window. I turned around to look and there on the window ledge was a little female hummingbird. I don't know if she died instantly or not, but she wasn't moving a muscle. And didn't thereafter. It was sad to see, but it was also the first time I got to look at a hummingbird as closely as that. They really aren't much bigger than a bumblebee.

After just a very few moments and as I was standing there looking her mate came along. He flew right up to the ledge and parked himself so that I got yet another close up of a hummingbird with no wings in motion. He was so pitiful. Whether he was looking at me or at the surface of the window I don't know for certain, but he looked up and kept cocking his head from side to side. Then he'd look down and back at his mate.

He appeared to be confused and in shock just as we would be if our mate was to meet his or her end as abruptly as that. I watched for a few moments more and then had to leave. It seemed I was intruding on something very private as the one said goodbye to the other.

Another time I was on my front porch and a hummingbird flew right into my face. I mean eye level and a bare breath away. It gave me a start at first and a I just naturally brushed at it to make it go away. It came back, though; and when it did I was ready and didn't try to shoo it away. I spoke to it and it became agitated, but not willing to leave. I realized then that it was attracted to the red lipstick I was wearing that day.

And I guess we've all seen pictures and videos of people hand feeding hummingbirds, which is something I've never yet tried. I'm happy enough just watching them have at the feeders.

8. Lydia Williams

Lydia Williams Veteran Member
    Registered

Aw, I wish we had hummingbirds here. They're so cute. I enjoy feeding the little sparrows and blackbirds though.

Allie Seay likes this.
  9. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I love my hummingbirds. They were shy at first but are pretty rambunctious now. I'm wondering why they don't learn the words to a few songs so they won't have to hum everything.

Shirley Martin and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

My mom is from NC. We're probably first or second cousins or brother and sister or all of the above.