How's The Crime In Your City?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

That's the kinds of news we get here most of the time...or someone's bike was stolen ... I own a gun...I go target shooting it's one of my hobbies...but I swear to God, if I lived anywhere ( and believe me there's illegal gun crime in London and a lot of the big cities in the UK)....although nowhere near the scale of the USA......if I lived anywhere that some of you are describing .....I would be terrified to leave the house..I'd probably have heart failure at even hearing that someone had been shot near where I live...much less...3 or 4 in one night..like you @Cody Fousnaugh .

I hear that people even carry concealed weapons into the supermarket in parts of the USA... there was a story last week in the media, where a guy pulled a gun on people in walmart , and several customers pulled out their concealed weapons and started returning fire...(now I understand the reaction)..but jeez it sounds like something out of the wild west..and what's worse, when the police arrived at the scene , there were so many shooters, they couldn't at first, figure out who was the bad guy..... dear Lord...that's awful.. I couldn't live like that...

All that said...I wish our laws would permit those of us in the Uk who are licensed permit holders to use our guns on burglars..instead the opposite usually happens.. and the burglar gets off with a shot in the leg..and the householder get's jailed for assault or attempted murder... there's been quite a few high profile cases in the UK ( not this area thank God) where farmers have shot intruders, and ended up in prison serving long sentences..that's all wrong too..

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, Holly, these shootings aren’t near us, but are in the same city. So, we’re not afraid to leave our apt.. A lot of these incidents are “black on black” related with high school and college aged. Also, a number of domestic disputes that turn into gun violence. So, add those on to gang and drug incidents, all of that is in this city.

We do know that high populated cities in the US have quite a bit of crime. We’ve just never lived in an area like this before and it’s got worse since we moved here. Funny that there are people, that we have talked to, just can’t figure out why we want to move. They just don’t care about how much crime is here!

BTW, Holly, if your news story was about the Walmart shooting in Thornton, Colorado, part of it is wrong. That is, the shooting you are talking about was in Thornton, Colorado. I know what happened there.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Registered

I don't know which part of the USA the shooting was in Cody...just read the story of the shooting in walmart and the return fire from shoppers...

As for the black on black crime, I hear what you're saying that it's generally gang related youths, but these youngsters live in areas where parents, and little children live, just like anyone else..and those people must feel like their living in hell due to those gangs.....just like any one of us would..regardless of race or colour..

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yep, and some financially can/do move, while others can't.

5. Holly Saunders

Registered

yes but many don't even start off in those crime ridden areas...I feel most sorry for the folks who lived in those crime ridden areas when they were decent law abiding neighbourhoods before the criminal element moved in...they are often stuck, especially if they're elderly and unable to afford to get out...

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A large part of the concerns over gun violence in the United States is related to the agenda-driven media coverage that it receives. Every time anyone uses a gun anywhere in the country, we all hear about it, and they don't shut up until the next shooting comes along, giving the impression that it is occurring all the time.

I have lived all over the country, and not always in the best of places. I was a paramedic for more than twenty years on the Texas-Mexico border. I saw victims of shootings as a paramedic, and there was really quite a lot of violence, but it was almost wholly restricted to those who were involved in the drug trade. I didn't even lock my doors when I was home, and I left my keys in my car. I would go for walks at night, and I didn't worry about gun violence. There was one town in our EMS area where we were cautious about sending an ambulance unaccompanied by the police because it was truly a violent little place. We once got a call for chest pains there, and found that the patient had chest pains because he had been stabbed in the chest.

I've lived in Long Beach, California and Fayetteville, North Carolina, as well, but I have never felt afraid that I would be a victim of gun violence. The only time in my life that anyone has pulled a gun on me, it turned out that he was trying to sell it to me.

Statistically, gun violence in the United States peaked in 1993, and has been falling since, but that's not what we're led to believe. Something like two-thirds of the cases of gun violence in the United States are from suicide but the gun banners will add those statistics to the others for better effect, ignoring the fact that if they didn't have a gun, most of them would simply use another means.

Gun-related homicides are mostly gang-related, so it's not as if people are being shot down in the streets. The much-heralded mass shootings are nearly always committed by someone who wouldn't have a gun if our current laws were enforced.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

When I worked the areas of Compton, Watts and South Central, during my EMS years in the mid 70’s, I seem my share of drug and other crimes.

Just seems like there isn’t a week that goes by without multiple murders and other gun violence here. People, outside the crime areas think more about their nice salaries and buying things rather than all the crime that happens here.

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Fresno has plenty of gangs and a high murder rate but it's not in my part of town.

As long as I don't go to central Fresno, I'm fine and that's the way it's been no matter where I lived including Chicago.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, I know. You've said this before. But, doesn't it bother you at all about how much crime there is in Fresno? Doesn't it bother your kids that you live in a city that has so much crime, even though you don't live in the areas of the crime? Also, Fresno doesn't have the influx of people, like here. It's like people don't care about how much crime there is here, they are moving here anyway. We have put up with it, but the crime is one reason we definitely want to move.

Guess you don’t watch your local news on tv or internet.

Actually, we should have checked out Jacksonville much more than we did, before moving here. Our mistake.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  10. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

We do have gangs here in Massey as well.
    The quilters gang, the knitters gang, the museum gang, the agricultural gang, the horticultural gang, and many more gangs..
    NO violence or shootings at any of the meetings..
    Funny thing though, at any of the meetings, there could be about 20 or so people.. The parking lot will have 19 pick-up trucks and one van.. In winter, half of the trucks will have a plow in front..
    This is country......

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson
    The only time in my life that anyone has pulled a gun on me, it turned out that he was trying to sell it to me.

You understand as I do, the basics underlying all of this. Yet, the average American is led to believe that these evil guns are being used mercilessly and at great frequency to slaughter helpless people. How to expunge the common believe so hammered in to the American psyche is likely an unanswerable question.

Guns are tools. Knives are tools. Both kill people. Why in the world is it so much more significant when a gun kills someone, compared to a knife killing someone?
    Frank

12. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Guns don't kill people any more than knives don't kill people...
    people kill people..
    You can't blame my pen for making a mistake in spelling
    You can't blame my fork for making me fat..
    don't blame the gun for killing people either.. Blame the people that have and use guns ........

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Totally believe this, Steve.

14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Steve North
    It always seems that the law-makers seek to allay crime by attempting to disarm their constituency. So, mountains of laws have been written, at local, state, and federal levels, many aimed (no pun intended) at limiting access to firearms. Unfortunately, the way it turns out is that restricting legal access to guns hardly affects the criminal element at all, while limiting access to the law-abiding, thus removing their ability to possess and use a firearm in self defense.

If I were attacked viciously by an assailant wielding a knife, let's say, I would far more prefer being able to stop the intrusion using a pistol available on my person, then have to rely on some other instrument of self defense.
    Frank

Ken Anderson likes this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

No it doesn't bother me as long as it stays in Central Fresno area.

There aren't murders in my area. It's like I live in another town.

Yes I do read my local news online @Cody Fousnaugh but nothing scary happening by me.

The worst may be a broken into car but I park in my garage.

My kids are probably closer to crime in their smaller towns...gangs are everywhere.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017