How's The Crime In Your City?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I know Anchorage has areas now, where the medics are not allowed to respond without a police presence, as several ambulance teams have been attacked while responding, mostly to overdose cases among the homeless community. Anchorage is proceeding down the path that San Francisco and Seattle have trod, and the homeless population is growing rapidly. Not too much of a problem out here, as there are no free services available here. I don't know why anyone would choose to be homeless in Alaska, especially in Fairbanks, but many choose that life for the freedom. A lot of folks are injured by the cold every year, though. Churches and other non-profits are allowed to take in homeless on an emergency basis, when the temp drops to -20 F. or lower, but they have to comply with strict standards during regular times.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders
    And only 20 miles away? Surprising, as the areas surrounding our own large cities, the "Metropolitan Areas", stretch in some cases 100 or more miles, Los Angeles being one of them. If one drives there from Las Vegas, one uses Interstate 15, which winds it's way down to San Bernadino (CA), thence another freeway (forget which) heads due west towards L.A., past literally tens of thousands of homes and businesses, a distance I'll guess is perhaps 80 miles or more. L.A. has a fairly high crime rate, nothing new there, as Sgt. Joe Friday (Jack Webb) delved into it's intricacies 60 years ago. Some of it's surrounding "suburban cities" are seething with crime, Pacoima and Burbank come to mind.
    Frank

Don Alaska and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Active Member
    Registered

Per topic
    My small rural NE Texas town has very low crime, some drugs on the N side but very low crime here all together, we just do not tolerate it at all neither does the Sheriff or Police. When we got loads of Katrina refugees it overnight went sky high as to thefts and other related issues but when residents got enough and stopped all that they left and it just seemed to stop over night. Back to normal.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, Frank.. because this is such a small island in certain areas of the country , a distance of 20 miles can make a huge difference in the dynamics of the area, and even the accents and dialects...

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Tex Dennis
    It would be interesting to know what the prevailing attitudes are in your town regarding personal protection: firearms ownership.
    Frank

6. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Holly Saunders
    And I would never have thought of it in that way! Enlightenment strikes me more often the older I get!
    Frank

Holly Saunders likes this.
  7. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Active Member
    Registered

Frank we are very PRO firearm here almost 30% have a LTC permit, we just do not tolerate crime and those engaged in crime know that very well, rural small town where you know your neighbors, the response time for me if I had to call the Sheriff is over 20 minutes usually, I would call neighbors 1st then Sheriff. During Katrina refugee times the home break ins started after 2-3 of those breaking in were shot by residents they seemed to stop overnight. Rarely ever do you see any open carry yet legal with permits. I know of none of my neighbors that do not own firearms. Several churches here have shooting groups that are well attended by all ages. We also offer free to members that qualify situation awareness and LTC classes. Also a church security team in place.

Yvonne Smith and Frank Sanoica like this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Tex Dennis
    I like it! Cozy, with neighbors united, rather than at war with each other. I'm generalizing a lot here, but the 20 years we lived in the Phoenix area, we saw conditions deteriorate; bigger the city got, the worse it was. Then, we sold out and bought a 300 acre spread in the Missouri Ozarks, buried in the Mark Twain National Forest. My nephew and neighbor from PHX went in thirds with us. $120,000 bought 300 with a livable old farmhouse with power and phone, no internet. Nearest neighbor was half a mile away. But, 23 miles to town of any size, 8 to town of 390 pop., no stores. Taxes were around $1.00 per acre per year!

I shot target anytime, anywhere I liked. My carry has been with me for many years now, S & W 6906:
    Frank

• [​IMG]

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Active Member
    Registered

Frank the 2nd day I moved here I was paid a visit from neighbors bringing food and refreshments to us, the 1st day of the move they showed up to ask if we needed any help!
    2-3 were carrying a firearm, they brought a card with all their contacts numbers in it for me and asked mine as we all stand together watching for each other then you have MS Evans who is some different, very nosey which we all love and has an open door policy, she never knocks just a I am here same for her home. She was some years back the victim of a home breakin, raped, beat almost to death bones broken etc at 83 years old, when he left her to start the stealing of her items she managed to retrieve her shotgun and gave him a center of chest blast which stopped the incident totally deemed a town hero, the Sheriffs Dept bought her a handgun and free training, her comment was priceless "I just lost it when he took my purse" no charges filed and deemed a hero.

10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Tex Dennis
    People helping people, especially in adversity. Just as it should be, in my estimation. Appreciate hearing about that.
    Frank

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well, the murders and gun violence continue here. A young black adult shot and killed in Jacksonville Beach last night. Two other shootings in Jacksonville, black on black, so far this weekend.

Just doesn't seem to be getting better here at all, but still people keep moving here. Guess to much gang and drug stuff going on. Compared to the two cities we are looking at to move to, those two cities literally have no crime.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  12. Pam Sellers

Pam Sellers Member
    Registered

We live in a small town north of Atlanta. Very little crime here. It is sad to turn on the news every morning and hear about all the shootings that have happened in Atlanta overnight. I would say probably every home in our neighborhood has a firearm/firearms. I took a class a couple of years ago at the local firing range, so I can handle a weapon if the need be. Husband and son have a "carry" license. I don't feel the need for that right now.

13. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My neighborhood has changed recently, with the new zoning law.
    It allows multiple houses to be built on what was a single lot.

Saw this coming, as Nashville is one of the fastest growing cities in the country.

They are tearing down the old single homes to build two side by side houses.
    They are two story, not very wide homes and start at about 300,000 per home.

The sell quickly and the neighborhood is becoming very 'Millennial' younger folk.
    So, a different class of people are moving in and the old, friendly couples are moving on.

I quess the next thing we will see is a Starbucks coming to replace the corner store...:eek:

As with most cities, the higher the property tax, the more police present.

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Lots of new housing, as in apartments and houses, are being built around the county we live in. One area, by local Dodge/Chrysler Dealer, use to be only fields and it's now all apartments. Like a city of it's own! All Millennials and late Gen X moving in. Sure isn't Seniors.

The lifestyle pace has gotten much faster since we moved here, along with the traffic and much more crime. I really don't understand why more and more people are moving here, but it really seems as if job salaries have a lot to do with it. The mall down the street from us gets so packed with folks, every weekend it looks like Black Friday there. Another shopping area, a much more "upper-class" area, a few miles from us, has gotten tremendously larger.

All of this has gotten way to much for us. Will be REALLY, REALLY glad when we leave.

15. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I wish gangs would just disappear ...they seem to be the biggest problem in the inner cities and major cause of murders.

I read about a murder every day in Central Fresno. It happens in every big city every single day.

I don't understand how these young people can be so ruthless...killing is nothing to them.

I'm sure you've all seen that murder of the young boy(mistaken identity) in that bodega.

5-6 boys dragged another teen out of a store and killed him with a machete....all for nothing.

These are boys that are the same age as my older grandsons!

How different the world can be even 20 miles from your house...Crazy!

16. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I totally understand your feelings.

Certain areas of Jacksonville there is a lot of black-on-black killings. Some are domestic related, while others are the “drive-by” type done by gangs .

Chrissy Cross likes this.