How's The Crime In Your City?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

It seems there is crime everywhere now days. We even had an abduction and rape of a nanny about 2 miles from my house.
    https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/crime/article215508805.html

That ATM is in the area I go every day almost to shop for food. And the house she was abducted by is right near Woodward Park, a very nice area that @Patsy Faye mentioned in another post.

Also, has anybody been following that missing girl story in Iowa...a place where people don't even lock their doors at night....I'm hoping for a happy ending to the story but it's doubtful. :(

https://abc7chicago.com/missing-college-student-mollie-tibbetts-a-timeline/3816516/

This morning I read that her dad has ties to Fresno.

I know bigger cities have more shootings and gang activity but nowhere is really safe anymore. :(

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

How sad. Missing people occur a lot in the bigger cities and are not noticed. When it happens in Iowa, everyone notices the loss.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I can definitely show you places that are very safe, but places like Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles sure aren't among them. Cities and towns like Loveland, Ft Lupton, Byers, Strasburg, Sheridan, Laramie, Douglas, Rock Springs, Boseman……….all in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana are very safe.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Had a shooting/murder last night, about a mile from our complex. The call of gun shots heard came into dispatch at midnight. They found a car sitting in the parking lot of a vacant grocery store, next to a bank. Law Enforcement is fairly sure that the people involved with this came from the apt. complex across the street. There were two men in the car, one of them dead. JSO is looking for a third suspect. Perhaps a drug deal gone bad? The area this happened is known as sort of a "ghetto" area and there has been crime at two apt. complexes in the area.

Again, people here don't seem to concerned about the shooting/murder. But, for us, it's getting way to close to our apt. complex and we simply can't wait to move.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Fresno has its fair share of murders, most gang related. Just read yesterday that the rate is down from last year so that's good.

It really hasn't reached my area but we are seeing a rise in car break ins.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

What we really can't believe, but is very nice, is how low the crime is in either Loveland or Ft. Collins compared to here. Crime does happen in both of those Colorado cities, but not even close to the amount that happens here. It almost seems like it's a daily occurrence of thefts, gang shootings, murders here...…….but primarily in only certain areas.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I see myself as living in a small city because I only go to stores in NE Fresno or Clovis and the worst crime is car break ins.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

There are car break-ins here, but the problem with those are that people leave expensive things in clear view of anyone passing the vehicle. Ladies will leave their purse in the front or rear seat, in plain view.

When we go shopping, from one store to another, we will put things in the back of our Durango and cover them with a couple of old bath towels we keep in the vehicle. The rear, and side windows (of the back) are tinted and hard to see in from outside, plus we set our vehicle alarm always. When the alarm is on, a red blinking light goes on and off on the dash.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't leave anything in my car. Even my glove compartment is empty.

Our neighborhood app is constantly telling people not to leave things in their cars.

I park in a garage but when I go to the store, I take my purse with me.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That how I felt in Anaheim. My church, my job, the restaurants I went to, the grocery store, and even Angel's Stadium were within walking distance. Even at Angel's games, since my church bought a block of tickets, I was surrounded by people I knew, at least in passing. My neighborhood was a bit like a small town.

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    I wonder if weather has something to do with it? Your present area is warm year-round as compared to CO?
    Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

I live in NYC and........"According to FBI data, NYC is the safest big city in the U.S."
    https://www.walksofnewyork.com/blog/is-nyc-safe

I always feel safe. Of course, I always am aware of everybody else; in a city of nine million people some are bound to be thieves &/or bonkers. I never let my guard down. But yes, it is very safe.

Bobby Cole, Nancy Hart and Tim Burr like this.
  13. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Called situation awareness
    When I was in the academy we were told 'we do not profile here' next words were: "If you don't your a dead officer"

Crime in my NE Texas city very very low, we do not tolerate it here citizens nor police, a huge amount of LTC permits here, most people here carry and own firearms, most is either drug related or done by illegals.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

you may be on to something.

Seems every time I tune in to 'Cops' on TV, the people in trouble
    are shirtless and most aren't wearing shoes.

Maybe most crimes can't be committed if the temp is below freezing...:cool:

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lulu Moppet
    Might that fact be due to the past efforts of former Mayor Michael Bloomberg?
    Frank

Nancy Hart and Bill Boggs like this.