How To Tell If Seniorsonly.club Is The Best Forum

Discussion in 'Notices & Announcements' started by Chrissy Cross, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I get on in the morning with my coffee and check everything on my ipad first and that doesn't take too long and that includes going though 12 hours of another very well known senior forum where I find nothing of interest and only nastiness every 5 posts.

Then I come here and although I have things to do, I can't seem to tear myself away, that to me is a good forum, Kudos to us!

I've been on here 3 hrs already. :)

2. Terry Page

Terry Page Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes I agree @Chrissy Page , I am here on and off in the morning and whenever I have some free time.
    It's a good mix of people here and Ken by joining in and not being unduly censorial creates the space for members to behave like adults. I feel the general lack of angst between members is possibly a reflection of the lack of any in Ken himself.

3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, I agree on that Terry. I've probably tested his patience a few times already. :)

Maybe it's the respect I have here for the members also. I can disagree with someone here about something I feel strongly about but it doesn't cause me stress or a rise in BP.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

Couldn't agree more with both of you...Hallelujah for no stress and no raised BP caused by members of other forums whose lives are so devoid of any kind of joy, happiness, or decency, and so full of rancour, and petty jealousies.

These 'specimens' clearly are friendless in real life so they clique up with like minded types from behind a screen in a dingy room in some grotty part of the world.. to try and inflict as much bile as they can spout on decent people ...some of them are so full of it, I honestly half expect spinning heads and pea soup to come flying out at me from my screen... [​IMG]

............instead, raise a glass to this forum, and all the members who can debate like adults...or just enjoy the social interaction as normal people would do... and therefore make it a great place to be..

wine_toast.jpg

5. Terry Page

Terry Page Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A reet good rant that @Holly Saunders I enjoyed it I could feel the energy from here ;):)

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Well said Holly! Cheers!

7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah you read it well my friend...:D

Diane Lane and Terry Page like this.
  8. Avigail David

Avigail David Well-Known Member
    Registered

Being banned and blocked from a highly elite forum group isn't very nice. Because of that used-to-be member defying PC arguments was saying didn't synch very well with the administrator. I don't see that forum being around lately.
    I wonder why ??? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  9. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You said a mouthful Holly ... and I so wholeheartedly agree with every word of it!!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  10. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Well-Known Member
    Registered

Cheers! I agree this is a pleasant group of people that have contributed to some good conversation.

11. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

When I chanced upon this website, I didn't know that 50 is considered senior. Over here, it is 60 to be called a senior. In fact, we were at the market this morning and there was a long queue in the meat section. And then I noticed that there was a line for seniors so I pointed it out to my husband who is a senior here (at 61). He quckly got in line and we had our bounty in a few minutes.

I still have some years to go before I become a senior here but I can relate to what's happening in this website. And I'm trying my best to contribute as much as I can.

12. Steve North

Steve North Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been totally barred (kicked off) another forum... It wasn't a senior forum but an "Atkins" low carb forum.. They called me names because we don't eat pork or ham.. I answered with an explanation and was kicked off..

I am a member of another "senior" forum but I very rarely go on there any more..

On here, I must admit it is the most mellow forum I have ever been on.. No arguments, insults, name calling, or racial remarks including anti-Semitism...

13. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am still a member of that other forum Steve. I haven't posted there in over a year and haven't even looked at it for a few months. It started out as a very good forum, it was my favorite, until a group of hateful people got together and ganged up on anyone who disagreed with their collective opinion. The forum moderator fell in with that group and I finally had enough.
    I believe Ken will keep that sort of thing from happening here.

14. Bonnie Thomas

Registered

You speak the truth! It was good in the beginning, but sure turned ugly.
    They can have their beliefs. I'm not buying any of it.

15. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've always tended to think along the Groucho Marx lines of not wanting to be a member of a club that would have me as a member. However, if even a stroppy Bolshevik like me can get along all right with everyone, then something must be working.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  16. Steve North

Steve North Veteran Member
    Registered

Like I said, they are extremely Anti-Semitic.. ........ I MEAN EXTREMELY !!!!!!!!!!!! ..... I was told off badly......
    I lurk on there upon occasion, but I rarely post....

My comfortable home is here ..................

17. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well, one thing I'm not afraid of, most of the time, is confrontation. And, depending on the topic, I will do that. Sometimes the way some folks talk can just "rile my feathers". My SIL can be that way. My wife tells me that she lived a pretty sheltered life. Some people call it "living in a closet", of which I never did. I was in the military (Navy) and believe me, with the language I heard and other things, military life sure isn't a "sheltered" one. I've been short-term homeless a couple of times and got out of it. I just think I really know what the world is all about and definitely don't pretend that it's all "peaches and cream".

I can be a big kidder, but find that some folks, and it seems to be more of our age bracket and above, that just don't like kidding/humor that much. My wife loves my humor and the sarcasm that I can add to it.

Is seniorsonly.club the best forum website for seniors, well, after being in the other one and sometimes feeling like I was in a wrestling or boxing match with some members, I really like this one much better.

18. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Here in the U.S., AARP (a Senior type magazine/organization) starts membership at the age of 50. In fact, there are some places that give "Senior" type discounts to folks who are 50 and above.

As for myself, and my wife, we don't "feel" like we are Seniors, don't (necessarily) "look" like what most younger folks would see as a "Senior" and a lot of times, don't "act" like it, but when arthritis pain shows it's ugly face, we sure can "feel" like a Senior. Since we are both now on Medicare and getting SS, we are considered Seniors, even though my wife is still working a full-time job. She just turned 68 and I'll be 67 in June. We are the "first" of the Baby Boomer Generation that started in 1948 and went approx. 15 years.

Corie Henson likes this.
  19. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I never considered joining a 'senior' forum until I saw that the age limit here was 50+, so I decided to check it out. This is definitely one of the most laid back forums I visit, and it's a great variety of folks from all over, with various backgrounds and experiences. I like that I can share my opinions here, learn from others, and have fun.

20. Bonnie Thomas

Registered

It's so refreshing to be on a forum like this one .. Steve, they love to judge over there, without a brain in their heads!!

My experience: something that really annoyed me one day, I was reading threads, and came across something posted about people "in Texas" ..by one popular poster on that board .. she wrote "everyone in Texas sits and reads their Bible all day and only watches Fox News" .... huh?? ... and this was all connected to posts about a period of heavy rain in the state .. her statement was that maybe the weather came to eliminate useless people..

I wanted to post something so badly, but I would have been banned if I said what I was thinking of her comments. Funny, she is still going strong ... they love her.

21. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Here's a bizarre story. I was kicked off a forum years ago. I was in an abortion thread and I was the only pro-lifer. They were saying that the fetus is not really a human until it's born. I posted a side-view drawing of a fetus that showed all it's fully formed fingers, toes, and sucking it's thumb at the age of 5 months in the womb. I was warned that I would be banned for "posting a nude 'pic' of an underaged child" even though the fetus was still in the womb. I said to the moderator, "then you do agree that it's a child before being born?" He swiftly banned me for "disputing the moderator". I wasn't at all upset. I didn't belong there anyway.

This forum is successful for many reasons, the people, Ken's devotion to keeping us all safe from scammers and meanies, the software, the balance of laughter and seriousness, everything.

22. Bonnie Thomas

Registered

That's the trouble with many moderators .. they don't know what their role/purpose is..
    It's all about what they believe, and you better fall in line with them, or good-by.

23. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Your reply here reminded me of how I was treated in So Calif. at times. I loved it when it would rain, but a lot of folks there don't like it when it rains. I was told a number of times, "you like the rain, you really should go back to Indiana" and said it sort of snotty like. Same thing happened about the "cowboy" things I liked. "You shouldn't even be living here" I thought "you're right, are you going to give me the money to go back to Indiana?". I was also told, you need to go back to the pig farm you grew up on!" I looked at them with a smile and said, "no thanks".

I knew I didn't belong in So Calif., but "finances rule".......darn it!

Karen McKenzie and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  24. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I find that interesting Cody, the snobbiness...because California is full of different people. Maybe not southern and maybe not then but I've seen just about everything here. Maybe central California is different and I'm not on the coast so it's cheaper.

25. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Central and Northern Calif. is different. I don't remember just how many times the people of California have tried to split up the State into three States. Found out very quickly that a lot of folks from Central and North California don't want to be associated with the fast-pace of the southern part. Actually, there is a lot of things to do in the southern part, if a person is single, but after wife and I got married, we really wanted to move.......and did. Even though my wife's mom, sisters and nieces lived there, we really glad to leave.

Chrissy Cross likes this.