How To Get Rid Of A Cat You Don't Want

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Hannah Davis, May 27, 2015.

1. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I have talked about our outdoor cats, there are now three of them since Pepper and Squiggy have disappeared. Two of these cats are males and well this has started pose a problem for us because they haven't been neutered. Anyway, a few of the female cats that have been attracted to our yard aren't so bad to have around and we don't mind them too much. But there is one, first of all she isn't the most attractive cat on the outside or on the inside. This cat which we call Emmy has quite an attitude, she has been hissing and attacking one of our cats Peppy trying to stop Peppy from eating. We have tried to chase Emmy from the yard, have tried to turn the hose on her, and yell at her that she isn't welcomed. The problem our cats get scared by these actions and run off as well. Now you would think that by being mean to Emmy she wouldn't come back think again, she has and continues to bully poor littel Peppy. Seriously we feel like we lost Pepper and Squiggy and now a cat who acts like she could of starred in the movie Pet Semetary has moved in. Have you ever had a stituation where you didn't want a certain cat around due to their attitude what did you do about it.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I would suggest that you feed your own cats inside the house. Cats are very good at learning where and when a free "gourmet dinner" is being served and will promptly show up every night at feeding time. If she is a stray cat, she may have learned to fight for any food that she finds; so your cat is at a definite disadvantage here.
    We used to have a neighbor that fed her cats outside every evening. She complained because so many stray cats showed up and she had to buy a lot of extra food to feed them all. Most of these cats looked like they actually had a home of their own, and just showed up every night at 8pm because they knew that was when free food was being served.
    Stop leaving food outside where they can eat, and the problem will probably resolve itself. If it does not, then get one of those cheap sonic pet-training devices that only dogs and cats can hear, and blast that whenever they show up looking for food. (make sure your own cats are safely inside first so you don't scare them away, too.)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

That reminds me of the Japanese beetle bags, people put out in their yard. They attract many more beetles than would normally be around. It's like putting a sign out"Free Beer"! The best way would be buy the bags and give them as"gifts" to your neighbors a few houses away, in all four directions. This will suck the beetle population away from your digs!;)

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    Pat Davis, Yvonne Smith and Admin like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Neighbor's cats walk through my yard once in a while, and there are some stray cats around. Sometimes they'll get into the compost pile. Otherwise, I don't have a problem with them because I don't feed my cats outside. A few years ago, I had five adult cats: Cutie and Lydia, their mother, Baby Girl, Bird, and her daughter, Obadiah. They were all excited and upset about a stray cat that was in our back yard, yet they were all afraid of him individually, and never once considered that five cats could easily kick his butt if they worked together.

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

TV Dinner!

Pat Davis likes this.
  6. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, my cats are outdoor cats. We have tried to get them to come in especially now that this bully of a cat has started to show up. But they don't want to come into the house. Yet everyday no matter how many times we try to scare her off there is Emmy hissing at the other cats. If I didn't know any better I would think Squiggy died and was buried in some anceint cemetary she came back to life, and if now Emmy. Yes, I know its something out of Pet Semetary, but this is how this cat acts likes she own the house, which is how Squggy acted only not as bad. Also, Emmy started showing up right after Sguiggy disappeared.

7. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't have a cat at the moment and my area does not really have stray cats. I think I would put my cats inside to feed them so that the other cat does not get to their food.

8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This may sound funny but it is true. When we were young, my sister was gifted with a kitten. After 3 months, the kitten had grown into a pestering cat. It would scratch on the furnitures and destroy the upholstery. My mother got fed up and decided to have the cat exiled. She put it in a sack and went to the next town where she let loose that cat. On the way home, my mother passed by the drugstore and had met some friends so it took her awhile to come home. Upon entering our gate, there was that pestering cat, hahahaaa.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We are considering the possibility of adopting a cat who comes around from time to time. We have a fire escape in a second-floor window, which is where we had the cat door when we were letting the cats out regularly. There is a table out there, with a bird feeder, so that my cats have something to look at through the window.

A few times now, while we were upstairs, a stray cat came up, looking in the window at us and at our cats, who so kindly hissed back at her. The last time, she laid down on the table with her head up to the window, as if she were a part of the family, only with a glass separating her. I wanted to take her in. I think it's a her, but have only seen her at night.

However, we have two twenty-five year-old cats who took months to accept Ella, who we took in as a kitten. The only time we've taken in an adult was Bird and, after nearly twenty years, they still hadn't accepted her. They did quit hissing at her every time they saw her, but she wasn't allowed to cuddle with them and Cutie would wait at the cat door for Bird to come in so that she could slap her as soon as her head came through the door.

It wouldn't be fair to the older cats, I know but, at the same time, I feel so bad for this cat. She was obviously not feral since she seems to be asking to be let in the window, and it's possible that she belongs to someone who lets her out at night. But she's a long-haired cat and it's clear that no one has been brushing her.

I'm partly hoping she doesn't show up again, and partly hoping she does. We don't spend a lot of time upstairs so she might be coming around more often than we know.

10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Cats. While I do not have much use for them, nature and my wife do. I do not hate cats, I simply do not care for them. But, the question is still at hand and has yet to be absolutely answered. How to get rid of them? Perhaps my wife has the closest answer because she said to do the high frequency thingy to them. It should work but I do not personally know because although we have one of those instruments of determent my wife does not use it on the two cats that hang around our house. They belong to our next door neighbor. They like cats.... I don't.

Why do their loveable lil' critters come to our house? My wife feeds them. Oh, maybe not intentionally for she doesn't hold the door open and yell, "here kitty kitty" while throwing that morsel of chicken out side. It just accidently provides food for the dern yellow cat who sleeps on top of our car or the snow white one that chases the birds and squirrels up trees and prances around on our front porch. Our neighbors have a front porch. I guess not as nice as ours.

Babydoll? Yes honey. Please do not feed the cats from the front porch. Why honey? Well, Babydoll, in a nut shell, when I put that coat of $160 self leveling epoxy resin on the porch I do not want to wake up at 4:30 A.M. to find a small white feline stuck to the floor. I would then have to cut around the cats feet to release her and she would then have to plod along for the rest of her life on 2" waterski's on each paw. ( Not to mention the four holes I would have to try and patch which would be noticable by a blind person.)

Tootsie, one of our dogs, hates cats. Three days ago she ran out of the back door in persuit of the white one. She squealed after a barrage of barks. Tootsie got tagged by the white monster. She now shakes and cowers at the back stoop when the cat comes around. Tootsie is afraid of cats. Chipper, our other dog doesn't care. He laughs at Tootsie. Tootsie has a complex now.

Tootsie and I do not care for cats, but even more, I do not now like our cat loving neighbors. They like cats. They send them to our house like invading Jehovah's Witnesses trying to proselytize Toosie and I for the great church of the holy kitty. I am going to have to find a 100 pound canary who does not like cats........, or our neighbors.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

(He just THINKS that I do not stand at the back door and call "Kitty, kitty, kitty" when I put out food for them. That poor little white kitty is hungry----- I can tell ! )

Bobby Cole likes this.