How To Deal With Being Offended

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Hedi Mitchell, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Personally,I am just worn out with so many people being offended .
    Technically speaking,I could be be offended several time a day and never leave my home.
    Let me start with the modern day oblong, but slim box - the tv.
    I am offended every day, by countless,useless, and intrusive tv ads.
    I solve the majority of this problem by hitting the mute button:).
    There are only two news stations I care to watch, but news, if you can really call it that,can also be offensive.
    Either I hit mute, or progress to another channel. This is usually, because I do not care to to be sung to at 6 am
    by a person with 16 different shades of hair, and more tats, and numerous metal projections, from what appears to have at one time been a face.
    Seldom do I watch daytime tv,ugh,boring repetitive,and downright un entertaining. Talk shows, are just verbal opinions,by celebrities,who can talk sensibly , if they have a script.
    So, I normally watch Netflix, or something of that nature. But wait,this to can bring offensiveness. Trying to
    watch a program you know nothing about, often times can be unnerving. If I pick a program, and with in five minutes, (in some cases even less time) and the first word out of their mouth is the F word, the GD word, the MF, that's is far as I go. Click moving on. Not a prude, but there is an art to cursing, and if you can not do it properly and appropriately, then don't. Otherwise people assume you have a very limited knowledge of language. I know, I understand the writers are to blame, but they should show more creativity in their writing. :)One day, I will write a little piece about the art of cursing;).
    I want even get into the nakedness,and out right "doing it " on movies.So, there are times, when the ole clicker is on the move, in order for me not to be offended.
    Totally offended that as I am trying to clean up the home, the phone rings, just to find out once again someone thinks I have need in whatever they want to sell. Oh, or the constant scams, seriously you are not Microsoft calling ! I never ordered the back brace you claim, I ordered. Nope do not need, siding, life insurance, health insurance,meds, and No, so-and so does not live here, never heard of him.
    Awe, the answering machine, like the mute button is my friend:).
    Then there is the "outside" offenses, like the statues of dead people who have been perched on the the grassy knoll, long before most were even born. I don't give a rats ass, what it represents, the fact remains, if it
    offends you, keep walking, wear blinders, or do not go there. Somebody, somewhere, might enjoy seeing
    that piece of history- good or bad :cool:.
    What is offensive, is spending $450,00.00 to remove a statue that now has to to be housed somewhere else, along with all his buddy statues, for heaven knows how long. Costly, and stupid.
    I am constantly offended by people, who obviously, do not own a mirror-otherwise they would not be out in public ,with "that on". Especially, people who dress way too young- if you're over 30 the word Juicy does not belong on your be-hind. Even at that, if you're like me, cover up that fat! Anything larger than a 1/2 inch over lap - is not a muffin top - a layer cake - maybe:p.
    Then there are the offensive people. Um, this is hard one, because does not take much to hack folks off nowadays. You never know when perhaps you have offended them, and they would rather just shoot you.
    In my past life, doing retail, I had many occasions to where I was offensive to many without even trying.
    Like I tried to explain to my boss, they either love me or they hate me. LOLO , well lets just say , customer service has never been my forte :p. Use caution when approaching an offended person in the flesh:D.
    Case and point- we all at sometime or somewhere can be offended, but you learn how to deal with the situation, without public protest, costly demands or the loss of life.
    ;):p:D

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Excellent :D:D

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

The only way that you can be offended is to take something personally . Politico correctness has educated people into thinking feelings is everything even more important than laws. It makes me laugh that words that would get you in a lot of trouble with job or other people. Here you would get a laugh and they would walk away the words don’t have the same value because they do not assign feeling to the words. If you feel offended it means you are taking it personally and you would not get upset if they were talking about someone else unless you want to. Lear to be a bystander there is a time to be involved must most times it is better to be a bystander they get the same information without the feelings. I would play a jock on my x-wife she would be watching a scary movie and getting all upset and I would ask if the director had a big chair and drinking coffee. It would bring her back to reality but get mad at me.

4. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

@Gloria Mitchell I enjoyed reading your post , if i can call it that without sounding offensive ,It's almost like you took words out of my mouth :)

One thing i find off putting a very pregnant woman weather reporter / reader with tighter then skin tight dress on and standing sideways while rubbing her bump ...

Now I respect others views / ways of living I believe in live and let live ....However
    in Australia right now we have a servey being sent out to everyone over 18 years of age on the electrol roll ... to vote on our approval / disapproval, if same sex couples should be allowed to marry ....fair enough ...but if you mention you voted NO ...well you are the worst person ever born ...some have been sacked from jobs for
    being involved in the ......No voters groups :(:eek: some schools are encouring boys to come to school in dresses if they wish to WHAT!!!!!! ... that's what offends me .....and people who can't say a sentence without saying Like Like every second word

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/ga...e/news-story/1ca93b629b58aed78c3018f3fbd53469

Hedi Mitchell and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

You pretty much covered it, @Gloria Mitchell . The thing that offends me the most is the use of the F word and the MF word. IMO, only totally stupid people have to rely on those words to express themselves. How I deal with it is to avoid people and places where they are used.

You should title your little piece, " Gloria Mitchell's Little Book on the Fine Art of Cursing." Who knows, it might be a best seller. :)

6. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

There is a book written ..oh lord many years ago about the art of cursing.
    When in the right frame of mind will tell you how it came about for me.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  7. Martin Alonzo

Registered

I do not feel offended but sad that they are not able to find more appropriate words

Patsy Faye and Kate Ellery like this.
  8. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I also dislike that F word like Martin said it's sad that many feel the need to use that word ,because they can't find an appropriate word to use .
    I've managed to get though life so far to 71 , without having to say "Like" "Like" after every second word, or use foul language

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

"Foul" is to the ear of the behearer.

Frank

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Jeff Tracy

Jeff Tracy Veteran Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

11. Jeff Tracy

Jeff Tracy Veteran Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

:(

13. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Ya'll all settle down:). @Jeff Tracy , always wanted to write a book:).

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember doing a Thread on the other Senior forum about cursing and using the F, MF word AND the Lord's name in vain. I was almost tied to a Whipping Post and lashed multiple times for saying how much I disliked hearing those words and being around folks that said them. Not to change the Thread, but I got the same type of "lashing" when I done a Thread about smoking and stated that wife and I didn't like, and chose not to be around, smokers. I said that my wife has some asthma problems and just can't be around smokers........pipe, cigarette or cigar. Even giving the excuse of an asthma condition, didn't stop the lashings.

Frank Sanoica and Jeff Tracy like this.
  15. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Any word has the value you put on it and nothing more. if you feel offended by a word it means you put a meaning on that word that offended you. For example the [N] word has many meaning that the black use depending on the tonality. Like here we have a word [tigere] which is deferred as a bad person who takes advantage of other people or a very cleaver person not bad. It is your interpretation of the word when you hear it. My fathers response if some one called him stupid he would say no I am stand up straight. The politico correctness group has made words offensive but in reality they are only communication and you put the meaning on them. Words are only words learn to the only power they have is what you give them.

Terry Page likes this.