How This Atheist Prays

Discussion in 'Atheism & Antitheism' started by Lon Tanner, May 23, 2016.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Often on Facebook there will be a request by a friend or family member asking for prayers for someone ill or suffering., I will respond by saying that I am thinking positive thoughts for this person. I will convey this to both the person that requested prayer as well as the individual that is being prayed for. I have mentally envisioned cancer cells being destroyed Etc. The Old Power Of Positive Thinking Eh?

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Ah, a fan of Norman Vincent Peale I see! That's not a bad choice even if it isn't his writing that allures you to conveying "good thoughts" for those in need. It's amazing how one positive thought can cause a chain reaction that can literally span the globe. (quantum mechanics)

Prayer is supposed to be a thought or thoughts based on faith positive that our submissions will be answered. Jesus did NOT teach that we should call to God to remove the mountain, but that We should say to the mountain to be removed and it shall be removed.
    Some say that Jesus was just speaking in hyperbole but I truly believe that we have been somewhat imbued with more power than we realize and it all starts with having faith in our own ability to create change by the power of positive thinking.

I have been party to and seen so many "supposed" miracles take place all because of believing people having the "faith of a mustard seed" in order to exact the miraculous act. I say "supposed" miracles because to me these acts should be common place but sadly are not.

But here is the bottom line for a believer in a higher being, or God, (or Jehovah) as we know Him. After all is said and done, we do or are supposed to thank God for having such an ability which is given to us as a gift. A gathering of people with the same agenda and in the name of Jesus can literally move mountains IMHO.

That said, although you probably do not feel the need for it @Ren Tanner, I congratulate you for submitting those wonderful positive thoughts for whomever you wish them upon. You have helped me see a very exciting and most excellent side of you.
    As for one of my positive thoughts for the day........God Bless ya Ren!!

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

When I pray for another person, who has asked for prayer, I like to pray scripture. John 14:27, for example, for a person with heart trouble.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Lon Tanner

Registered

Thank you Bobby & I accept your blessings.

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

If I am unable to "Pray", I then seek rather to "Prey".

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that thinking positive thoughts is a very good and helpful thing, @Ren Tanner . It seems to follow that when you think of the negative, that is what you attract, and when you look for the positive, then that is what you will find.
    I think that we have more capabilities as humans than we even begin to understand, and there are lots of examples of thoughts producing results.
    All of the motivational books emphasize positive thinking, and books like "The Secret" explain how to attract things that we want into our life. While most of us probably don't get rich from reading the books, even more modest benefits are a good thing.
    When I was working for Combined Insurance, once of the things they really stressed was setting goals and visualizing those goals. I do believe that this helped me to attain goals that I probably wouldn't have reached otherwise.
    So, I also think that thinking positive thoughts of healing will help other people, the same as it does when we think them for ourselves.

7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I read "The Secret" and what it says works for me. People who always expect the worst always get what they expect. If you ask for good things, you get what you ask for. I didn't see anything anti-God about it. Jesus said, "Ask and ye shall receive." I loaned it to another lady who is a Christian. When she returned it, she slammed it down on the table and said, "This is the devil's book!!!!" It's amazing how two people can read the same book and reach such different conclusions.

John Houlihan and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I read the book, too, and many others of the same type of motivational book, and (for the most part) I have not found them to be anything that would be called "un-Christian", @Shirley Martin . Many of these books were written by people who believe in God and the power of prayer.
    In my opinion, some religious sects are too quick to condemn things that do not line up with exactly how they think and believe.

Another good example is twelve step programs, like AA.
    That was started by a Christian, and was meant for people to accept that there is a God and that he will help them, if they will ask him and put their trust in him.
    However, the alcoholics who do not believe that there is a god needed a broader definition to have something to grasp onto, so the word was changed from "god" to "higher power".
    This allowed non-religious people to look at the group itself as their higher power, and take the steps that they needed to become sober. Many do go on to believe in a real God, once they start looking at the spiritual part of life.
    However, many churches criticize AA because it does say higher power and not god.
    To me, this is just the same as the lady condemning "The Secret" book.
    I think that realizing that man has a spiritual side, and that we are not just a physical body, is a good start to realizing that there may also be a god.
    Knowing that we have a spirit/soul helps us to look at ourselves and the world in a different way.

John Houlihan and Shirley Martin like this.
  9. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

What are you talking about?

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah, Frank!!!!! Explain yourself!

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Thinking positive thoughts for people you care about is a lovely thing to do Ren and I'm sure is appreciated by those you do this for. Although I don't consider it to be praying at your tread title (How this atheist prays) refers to it...I do consider it offering positive affirmations to the person in need. As a Christian for what you are doing to be considered prayer...it would have to be done with communication between God and you for that person in need. Jesus taught us about prayer in the New Testament, both how to pray and who to pray to. Prayer to a Christian is the portal that brings the power of God down to earth. So while I can agree that your thinking positive and affirming thoughts for those you care about is a lovely and caring thing to do I cannot agree that it is prayer.

John Houlihan likes this.
  12. Lon Tanner

Registered

I understand what you are saying Babs, but assuming there is a God & a All Knowing One don't you think that my positive thoughts would be picked up by him or her and conveyed? If not, my positive thinking would be for naught and a total waste of time.

13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Now why would an All Knowing God want to convey positive thoughts of someone who doesn't even believe in Him Ren (unless you asked Him to as proof He was real)? As for your positive thinking being for naught and a total waste of time...why would an athesist who doesn't believe in or think He needs God for anything...make a statement like that? Imaging those cancer cells being destroyed would take more than positive thinking...that destruction would be God's power at work. But caring words can be spoken by any human being whether they believe in God or not.

14. Lon Tanner

Registered

Well Babs---we could go round & round with this but I will cease & just say Keep your faith & Be Happy.

Kind regards

Lon

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

And to you Lon...keep on thinking positive thoughts for those you care about, when we are hurting kindness and caring are always appreciated. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.