How Technology's Inrush Into Our Mores, Has Changed Us

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Frank Sanoica, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

We never did. My first memory of a phone would be 1955...maybe later.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I have no memory of 1955 I was busy being born lol...:D

this is the phone we had growing up... the most common colour was green...we had cream...

$_1.JPG

We shared a line with one neighbour...so we'd have to pick the receiver up, and press the button on the top to get a 'clear line''..to be able to call out..but in reality you didn't have to do that because if the neighbour was using the phone we heard it as soon as we picked up the handset,so we'd replace it quietly..and then as soon as the neighbour hung up, the phone would 'ding' so we knew we could go and make or receive a call...

People could have a single private line of their own if they wished but in those days it was verrrry expensive...

3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Our phone looked similar, think it was black, later we had a beige one. Then in the 60's we had a princess style phone.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Uh......I already did Chrissy in my last post. I gave a link that specifies dates and places trying the symbolic free speech that many say is valid.

It's obvious that no one can convince you that burning or desecrating the American flag is wrong and you might regard it as "symbolic free speech.". If indeed that is the case and every American enjoys the same type of freedom that is proposed here then try using some symbolic free speech to a judge by raising a single mid finger.
    Hmmm........I wonder how that might go?

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

You are misquoting me Bobby. I never said it wasn't wrong. That's not fair.

I'm not talking about right or wrong but legal and illegal.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    Ina I. Wonder and Jim Beam like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Now do, pray tell, why did they not have a prince or a king phone but opted to only have a princess style? I have often wondered why and have never had a good answer to what I would deem a serious problem. After all, isn't there something about equality among the genders?
    Should not we males sue for reparations? Oh yeah, only China is making the dern things anymore and we can't sue China.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

LOL good question...ours were never called Princess phones, I think that was just the USA., and the Princess phones were a little different in shape to the GPO (general Post office) to ours .ours had numbers rather than names ...ie..200 series, 300...700 ..The 700 series were the ones that were around when I was growing up....then came the trimphone, (712L)available in many colours including red ... ...which had a distinctive but quiet purr purr ring rather than the loud bell ring of the 746 and it's predecessors.. all of the above are now collectors items...

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't remember too much detail about our phones just that I wasn't allowed to talk too long because someone might be trying to call.

Seems so long ago, the days of the busy signal. :)

9. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Veteran Member
    Registered

Our first phone was two soup cans connected by a string.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, I forgot about that when I was a kid in the early 50's.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I do believe that the technology has contributed to expanded rudeness, as well as a shocking loss of privacy. All of us, no doubt, remember a time when we could decide not to answer our phone, because no one would know whether we were home or not. Our phones were for our convenience, not everyone else's.

Now, because nearly everyone has a cell phone, we are expected to to be at everyone's beck and call, and far too many people have given into this demand, feeling a necessity to answer the darned thing every time it makes a noise, and it doesn't matter if they are at the dinner table, a restaurant, school, church, or a ball game. Because callers expect their call to be answered, the person receiving the call has to decide whether to be rude to a caller who they know or to be rude to a bunch of people they don't know in a restaurant or ball game. Oddly, many people choose the phone over friends and family who are physically with them at the time.

I will say that, much to my wife's consternation, I don't do that. I have an iPhone but I don't answer it unless I want to, and I don't even make a habit of bringing it with me. If I am driving some distance, I'll take it in case I need to call Triple A or something but if I'm going somewhere in town, I leave my phone at home. While I'm eating supper, my phone is in my office. Unfortunately (or in some cases, fortunately), many people simply call me on my wife's phone because she is never without it, and it is almost never turned off.

I've only spoken to Siri once. She didn't have an answer for me so I gave up on her.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I think the opposite is true on getting a lot of calls on cell phones. Only my family knows my cell phone number and a very few friends so I tend not to get many calls on my phone. I do however get a lot on my home phone and almost all of those are telemarketers.

Guess it depends on the individual as to how many calls they get. Only person calling me daily is my daughter, and if I'm somewhere that I don't want to or can't answer I turn the ringer off. It's not rocket science.

You can still decide not to answer your phone.

Also, in reality teens don't talk on the phone, they text. So you won't hear any phones ringing or hear conversations from them either. They never talk with friends, just text.

Terry Page likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

The middle finger to the judge wouldn't work at all because there are exceptions to the rule and obscenity is one of them.

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I totally agree with your method of handling phone calls, @Ken Anderson , and I tend to do about the same thing. When I go somewhere, I do usually take the phone along, because we have had several (too many) experiences of the car breaking down and I had to call for towing to get the pesky old wagon back into our driveway where we could try to fix it again.
    If the phone rings while am driving and it is anyone except my kids or a close friend, I ignore it. If they don't leave a messsage, and I don't recognise the number....... Too bad, I don't call back.
    Even at home, I usually don't answer when I don't know who is calling, and wait to see if they leave a message.
    I have a phone for times when I want to contact someone, or want them to contact me, not to be available to the world at large, and telemarketers in particular.
    I actually seldom even use the phone, maybe once a week at best, unless there is some reason where I have to make calls about something, like dealing with Comcast. (Thankfully, that part should now be over).

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I seldom get unknown numbers on my cell, maybe because I have a landline and give that number out.