How Technology's Inrush Into Our Mores, Has Changed Us

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Frank Sanoica, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

The other night, seated in an auditorium about to witness the second basketball game championship, the National Anthem was announced. Virtually everyone in the place, perhaps 2000 of us, stood at attention. One man down aways at out table, happened to be jabbering away on his cell phone. He DID stand, give him that much, but continued on babbling into his precious instrument throughout the Anthem.

My wife & I found this to be not only disgusting, but also a typical indicator of the "importance" of the "Information Revolution". This invasion of human values has crept to the very core of us, I'm afraid.

Given the choice decades back of "Your gun or your wife", has now become "Your cell or your life".

I cannot accept it. Can you? Frank

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Clearly, that's not the case with the man with the cell phone, but our nation is -- or has -- reached a point where it is becoming increasingly difficult to have respect for our government anymore, so I could understand a failure to stand as a political statement. It is not one that I have chosen to make, but I could understand it.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Our world is changing and it's progressing as it always does. The older generation never understands the younger one in general. Not talking specifically about this case but I can accept it, I don't let what other people do bother me. Everybody has rights wether you like them or not.

If he was disobeying a law about cell phone use in a place that's different. If he was talking loud enough to drown out the anthem that's not right either. Someone should have told him to take it outside.

I'm one that loves my cell phone. Especially texting. I can be talking to a few people at the same time. I have mixed up a few times but nothing horrid.

It's technology Frank that let's you be on the forum, how others use the it is their business.
    And there are laws where and where you can't use it.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    Karen McKenzie and Terry Page like this.
  4. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

seems the country has a lot of new past times

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

There has always been flag burning, I remember it in my youth. Only difference now is pics being taken.

6. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Gary Ridenour

Registered

those of us that fought for it see it different. you can burn it just wrap yourself in it first. hell ill even provide the Kerosene and a match

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I would never burn our flag, Gary. I'm just saying it's not a new thing.

9. Gary Ridenour

Registered

as far as the moron with the phone I'd grab it an see how far i can throw it

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

If your talking about the cell phone in Franks original post, I think that could have been handled by just asking management to deal with it or even asking the guy yourself. I don't know if Frank did that.

Throwing it would only get you in trouble, Gary. Not worth it.

Terry Page and Holly Saunders like this.
  11. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

How did we ever survive the "land line only" period?

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

We always survive with what we have. How did people survive without telephones? It's called progress.

I can't even imagine what's after today's technology, probably won't be around for any major changes.

Terry Page and Holly Saunders like this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Solomon said that there is "nothing new under the sun". Murder, rape, incest, drug abuse, racism are only some of the things that have not nor will change but we still try to stop it even though they are not new.

Burning my flag, or disrespecting the flag or our anthem is something that may not be new but I will stop it any way I legally can.

Cell phones and the likes are not an honored thing in a church, a meeting, at dinner with friends, during prayer or during the anthem. It shows disrespect and a low sense of priorities of those things that are important to the majority of individuals and especially those individuals, like myself, who fought for our country that you might have the right to do "whatever you wish."

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I agree, do whatever you want...legally. Yes, there are people that don't respect others. I agree with all of this.

15. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

I respect everyone's rights in this country. I may not agree with them..but I don't think it's treason if someone is on a cell phone while the National Anthem is played..but it's kind of rude. I think that was his problem..I can't imagine talking over all that noise.

@Gary Ridenour ..I think burning the flag is a First Amendment right. We are not a nation of Nazis..so unless property is damaged people are within the law. This doesn't mean I condone it..you see? It's no different than my support of Second Amendment rights even though I won't have a gun in my house.

My main worry with cell phones are people driving distracted..or even walking or riding a bike...I've seen all this. I guess with technology comes the need for common sense.

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.