How Rumor Spreads In Social Media

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Corie Henson, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Last week there were so many posts being shared by my Facebook friends about a supposed notice by Facebook that all your posts will be public domain and can be deleted anytime. And in order not to go that way, all you have to do is to share that post and place at the bottom that you don't give permission. I had replied to some of those posts that it was a hoax. And what do you know is the common reply? Better safe than sorry.

That is one of my observation, a reason why lies are spreading fast - better safe than sorry. In our language, what they say is "walang mawawala" which means you lose nothing when you share that post. That's the state of social media now - share a post before you verify the veracity.

K E Gordon likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I stopped sharing long time ago and even then it was nothing that could be true or false...just something cute.

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is so totally true, @Corie Henson , and I agree with you that it usually does not good to tell people to check facts. Another one is the posts that circulate for YEARS about a lost child, someone kidnapped, or dying of cancer, or a prayer for a soldier who was killed.
    You can see the dates , and some of these are clear back in 2012-2013, but people still just pass them along and never look to see if it is true or even recent.
    it used to be this happened with emails, and those would come around every so often. Now, we get them on our facebook page instead.

Corie Henson and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I think we all need to be aware of what we share because once it is online it stays forever. This is just one of the dangers of posting everything on social media. I guess once people post something, most don't bother to check the statement's veracity, they instead take everything at face value. It is one of the problems of social media, both a blessing and a curse to so many.

5. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

Nothing is sacred on social media. After all you posted in a public domain. Not a fan of Facebook after a friend told me she made up a fake profile to spy her son. I just think your children have private lives as well.

Holly Saunders likes this.