How Old Is The House You Live In?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Working on my web directory job, I frequently come across bed and breakfasts, or even museum buildings, whose website brags about the building being more than a half-century old, and I think, what's the big deal about that? I was out of high school and working for a paper company by then. Most of the people I know live in houses that were built long before 1971. That's practically a new house.

Most of the houses in Millinocket were built more than a century ago and, for that matter, most of the houses in what is known as the New Development were built in the 1960s.

The mill owners chose the site for the Great Northern Paper Mill in the late 1800s, and it was the company itself that built most of the buildings in the old part of town, which is where I live. There was no town here before the mill. There were only a couple of farms. The people who were involved in the construction of the mill buildings were housed in an area now known as Shack Hill, but none of these shacks still exist.

Construction of what is now the old section of town began in the early 1900s, beginning with the commercial buildings and a few boarding houses, which still exist, on Penobscot Avenue, which serves as Millinocket's main street. The second street built was Katahdin Avenue, where I live.

I have an old postcard that shows early Katahdin Avenue before it was paved. The photo on the card shows a few other buildings that are under construction, but the only buildings that appear to have been completed were my house (which was probably a boarding house then) and the house across the street from me, which was clearly a boarding house.

My house was built in 1910. As it was built before there was a municipal government here, the town does not have a blueprint or a floorplan of my house. A few years ago, our code enforcement officer said that he was going to have to go through the house in order to complete a record of the building for the town office. I told him he'd need a warrant, which he never produced, the advantage being that I can do whatever I want to do on the inside of the house, or even in the back of the house, without a permit.

So, my house was built in 1910, which makes it about 111 years old. How old is your house?

Von Jones and Bill Boggs like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We built this house, completed in June 1994. So will be 27 years in June.

3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

My house was built in 1943 which would make it almost as old as its owner.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

My current house was built in the mid-1960s, so it's about 55-60 years old. I do not have a real survey for my 51 acres, just pols and rods compass-referenced from stones, stumps & dogwoods. This county was founded in 1742. There is a plaque not far from me that basically says "Patrick Henry Used to Live Here" when he was our rep in the House of Burgess. His original structure is long gone.

The house we moved to in Fairfax County (likewise founded in 1742) in the early 60s when I was a kid was built in the late 1800s (it was basic farm shelter, not an old southern palatial estate.) All of the framing was rough-cut, hand-hewn lumber. None of it was dimensional, and the studs were all twisted 90° between the floor and the ceiling. Plumbing and electrical were all added later (you could tell.) The plat for that 2 acres was similar to the one for my current place...no real survey. I think we were only the 3rd owner.

5. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

The house we live in now in Massey is an "A" Frame house which was built in 1988.. We bought it in 2005.. It has 2 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs and a living room, extra large kitchen, laundry room, walk-in pantry, and bathroom on the ground floor.. No basement other than crawl space.. The outside walls are built with 2X6 instead of 2X4 which gives an extra thickness for good insulation.. We are NOT in the village but on the outskirts and we have a large lot.. 100 feet frontage by 600 feet deep.. It is an all electric house with NO chimney.. It is not a large house but for the 2 of us, its perfect.. The house is 30 X 30 giving 900 square feet per floor.. Large patio, 25X20 off the kitchen which I had built.. I also have a large carport and many storage sheds.. The main entrance is inside the carport which is wonderful in winter and bad weather.. Being seniors, we installed a chair lift to go upstairs as well as grab bars in both bathrooms and a ramp instead of 2 stairs at the front entrance.. We are the 3rd owners and the house is in awesome condition..
    I shouldn't tell you this, but we paid for the house in 2005 …… only …. $45,000.....
    Today the house will sell for about 225,000...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  6. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Approximately 100 years. When it was built it had coal fireplaces in 4 rooms and only two electrical circuits---one for upstairs, one for downstairs.

Von Jones likes this.
  7. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

My house was built in 1960. I am its third owner. I've been here since 1989. I really like my house, but Austin is getting so crowded, and the traffic and air, here, are getting worse and worse. I'd like to move, but finding someplace better, in all ways, is frustrating the heck out of me.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Built in 1923 (98 years old)10 years after the flood of 1913 in Ohio. Second owner as of February 2001.

9. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

My SO's house was built in mid 60s, she has owned since mid 70s. I am in process of buying a home in mid Florida that was built in 2005. We will move there in a month or so.

10. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Our house was built in1978. We are the second owners. The lady we bought it from was 90 years old. She and my wife wrote about once a month until she died 7 years later. She was always interested in what we did and my wife sent her pictures. She sent us pictures of the property from the time they first bought the property. They lived in a 1946 travelite trailer while they were having the house built. We still have the trailer

11. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We like it better than the one we built in 1983 and sold in 1992.

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

The house where we live now was built sometime in the 50’s, but it is newer than most of the houses around it. The original house was built on the other end of the lot, which stretches from one street to the next one. Now it is divided into two separate lots, and the original house was torn down about 15 years ago.
    We are just outside of the Redstone Arsenal, and most of the house near here were probably built in the 40’s for officers from the arsenal.

The house in Idaho where I grew up was much older, maybe very early 1900’s ? It was originally one bedroom, and had a wood cook stove and heating stove. The only electricity that we had was 110, so we did not have an electric cooking stove or a washer/dryer, or anything that needed a 220 hookup.
    Someone had added a back porch, which was then enclosed , making two smaller bedrooms in the back of the house, which was always freezing in the winter. I remember having those ice whorls on my bedroom window all winter.
    By the time my folks bought the house in 1950, the heating was from an old oil-burning stove that looked like a wood stove, and only ran on low heat, or it rumbled and growled and threatened to explode.

All of the light fixtures, except for the living room and dining room , were the bare bulbs that hung down on a long electrical cord and were turned on with a little switch on the light bulb holder, similar to how a lamp turned on.
    Out back was a cellar, which had double walls and was insulated in between with sawdust, probably from one of the nearby wood mills.
    There was a barn and chicken coop in the back of the property, which was not unusual for homes in town back in those days. We had a lot of fruit trees, grape vines, raspberries,blackberries, and a rhubarb patch.

My mom probably would have had a vegetable garden, but she and Grandpa Bailey ran the small neighborhood grocery next door to our house; so she didn’t have any leftover time to garden, and we had plenty of food at the store.
    We had lots of flowers, because those came back each year, and all we had to do was keep everything watered in the hot summer. My pony lived out back in a little corral by the barn.
    It was a place that i loved, and am glad that I grew up there.

We had a lot of snow in the winter. This is a picture of me on the snow pile with Bonzo, our dog. You can barely see the garage roof sticking up through the snow behind me.

6F40DBF3-BC98-43AC-A6F4-6DCE7A1E817D.jpeg

13. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

The house we live in 21 years old. I would say we built, but it is a modular.
    The house I grew up in was various ages. The room we used for a dining room was a cabin built in 1830,with the rest of the house added around it. The last remodel was by my grandfather just after WW2

14. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Where I live was built in 2015 and its now home for me.

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  15. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

45 going on 100.