How Often Do You Get Your Roads Cleaned Outside Of Your Home?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Holly Saunders, May 2, 2019.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

What's a verge?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have a street sweeper that comes by maybe once a year, I have never known why. It's a bit like the sidewalk snowplow that the town has. They usually give up on that before Christmas. Technically, homeowners are supposed to keep the sidewalks clear of snow in front of their property but I have nearly always had a vacant house on one side of me or the other so I think they don't see a point in ticketing me for not clearing my sidewalk when someone walking couldn't walk the whole block anyhow. When my snowblower is working, I don't mind doing the sidewalk, even in front of the vacant house, but I am not about to shovel in front of a house that isn't mine, particularly since most of the snow that is placed there is placed by the town plow.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In the north, I think the sweepers are removing the gravel and such put there by the government during the winter.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Where the road meets the Kerb, where all the dirt and litter mud gets blown onto has to be cleared out

[​IMG]

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The Elgin machine goes down our street at least once a month but that in itself is a large source of agitation. I just goes down our street as a way to get to a main highway and nothing more. The guy doesn’t drop a brush but just goes by la-de-da as though he can’t see all the rubbish that people throw around.

I wrote in a small neighborhood watch kind of a forum(?) and I guess our councilman and the mayor was asked why we can’t get the streets cleaned and they said that it wasn’t in the budget.
    I wrote back and said that the street cleaning machine was already going up and down our street anyway so why can’t the guy simply push the button and clean it as it goes? Nope. Not in the budget.
    Stupidity? Lack of logic? Lack of the need for excellence? Dunno. Probably a part of all three but there definitely aren’t any brain cells being overworked as well as the guy driving the Elgin machine.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

We live in the city but on an side street off of the main street and the streets are rarely cleaned. I have seen one of those trucks a few times before in the 19 years that we have lived here. As I think about it those times that I have seen/heard the street cleaner were after a windstorm has passed through the city otherwise there is the sewer system that swishes away most of the light debris set against the curb/verge.

It used to be done on a regular basis but as @Bobby Cole noted 'not in the budget.' Also I believe the city sites homeowners for too much trash in front/back of there homes.

7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Soon after I met the young woman who would become my wife, she having been born in Germany after WW-II, she remarked to me how much dirtier the streets and sidewalks here were. She recalled spending several summers with a church group of youngsters in Netherlands: there, each property owner, residential as well as business, sweeps the sidewalk in front every morning!
    Frank

Don Alaska and Holly Saunders like this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Registered

Sorry @Von Jones , can you explain that last sentence to me, I'm not really sure what you mean... (I'm a bit dim tonight obviously ) ;)

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Holly Saunders
    Over hear, we often find differing spellings of common words: technical words about cars, "breaks", the aiming thingies on firearms, "sites", the cop writing a "sitation",.....

Site, Cite, and Sight seem to be particularly complicated!

Frank

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Registered

Thanks Frank I understand that... but I don't understand the sentence , is Von saying that householders get fined for leaving too much household waste left out in the street ?...or what , help me understand, before I get embarrassed for looking daft..lol

Yvonne Smith and Frank Sanoica like this.
  11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

In the US a lot cities have codes that are required to be adhered to or you may be warned, fined or arrested. What I am referring to would be housing inspection codes. Example, if the homeowners discards furniture they no longer want for whatever the reason is and it sits outside at a curb/verge for a long period of time then the homeowner could be served a warning to have it removed because it is a violation of said code #. In this example what should have been done was to call the proper department of the city to have it removed or have it removed personally. This could also have been reported to the city by a concerned neighbor.

I have personally called the city to report 'dumping' behind a garage of a vacant house where we live. The city came by cleared away every thing, and boarded up the garage and said the homeowner will be charged.

Frank Sanoica and Holly Saunders like this.
  12. Holly Saunders

Registered

Ah ! I've got you now Von....

Here where I live it's illegal to dump trash outside.. anything that doesn't fit in the regular wheelie bin.. can't get put outside..

we either have to take it to the recycling centre ourselves or pay someone from the council to come and take it away..

Occasionally out here in the country we get 'fly-tippers'' , rather than pay to take stuff to the rcycling centre, .. will tip into a field or in the woods.. there's a huge fine for flytipping offenders...

Von Jones and Frank Sanoica like this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Holly Saunders
    Ahh, I get it..........they are "Cited", a citation or fine issued.......
    Frank

Von Jones likes this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Holly Saunders

Flytipping! Totally new to me, it's usually known here as "Dumping", that term being almost universally-used,
    Frank

Holly Saunders and Von Jones like this.
  15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Holly Saunders and Frank Sanoica like this.