How Many Ways Can We Make Chicken Soup?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ruby Begonia, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I just remembered this book I used to read to my grandsons.....

tmp_10541-9780881034066_xlg-514062829.jpg

Karen McKenzie and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Oh yes @Karen McKenzie ! Here is my favorite mug...

tmp_10541-0513647065.jpg

Chrissy Cross and Karen McKenzie like this.
  3. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

Love your mug..so cute! I've been using these Corning ware ones for ages.. image.jpg

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have some soup bowl/mugs that I brought back from Hungary but I haven't made chicken soup since my husband died. Maybe that's an exaggeration but it's almost true.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  5. Ruby Begonia

Registered

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

This is a pot of my homemade chicken and vegetable soup that is one of my favorite soups to make. There are no peas in it but plenty of green beans, carrots, corn, cabbage, onions and bell pepper, potatoes, pasta...and plenty of chicken. :)

IMG_1274-001.JPG

7. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Looks and sounds good. My last batch had cabbage too.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Mmmmm, love cabbage. Might have added a little to mine sometimes too. Not too much because it can over power it.

Babs Hunt and Ruby Begonia like this.
  9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I find the secret is putting the cabbage in first with the onions and letting it cook down for awhile before adding the other veggies, etc. If you do this...all the flavors mingle and none over powers the others.

10. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I love chicken soup any which way ;)

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Never knew that, thanks Babs.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  12. Karen McKenzie

Registered

image.jpg

Ruby...From your book :)

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I generally enjoy the chicken soup that I make, but I don't use a recipe and it's seldom the same. I usually make far more than I can eat in one sitting, so I make it to refrigerate and heat up over the next few days. I like pasta in my chicken soup but I don't like reheated pasta so much, especially when it starts falling apart, so I often cook the pasta separately so that it's fresh.

Typically, I think people will use the cheapest cuts of chicken for soup, or even left-over cuts of chicken, but I don't like that so much. Normally, I will use chicken breasts, cut up into pieces before boiling them. I don't care for the gross white stuff that floats on top of the water after boiling the chicken breasts, so I will bring the water to a boil just enough to partially cook the chicken, then I will discard that water and add more, sometimes along with a chicken broth or base, bringing it to a boil, then turning it down to a lower temperature. Sometimes I'll mix Italian sausage to the mix, but not typically.

I don't use the same ingredients all the time, but I like to add some quinoa, and sometimes a small amount of brown rice. I might add a finely chopped jalapeño pepper and some red peppers. Sometimes I'll chop an onion into the mix, but other times I'll use a few very small whole onions that will fall apart during the process anyhow. I'll throw some vegetables in there, generally corn, and maybe a small amount of peas. If I use green beans, I will wait to add them later so that they're not too soft. I will most always add some carrots. If my wife is going to have some, I'll include some celery but I don't personally believe that celery adds anything useful so if it's just for me, I don't bother with the celery.

Then I'll turn it down to low or simmer, depending on whether I plan on being around to stir it often or if there is a danger of my forgetting about it for a while. While it's simmering, I'll add some thyme and anything else that might look interesting from the spice rack, including a bay leaf, since that's expected. Oh, salt and pepper is a given, of course. Everything needs salt and pepper.

Then I'll wait for however long it takes, sampling a cup of it every now and then. Before I am ready to eat a larger bowl of it, or to serve it, I'll boil some pasta, drain the pasta, and add the soup to the pasta. Sometimes, I'll cook the pasta with it, but then I don't like it very much after the second reheating.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, I always cook the pasta separate. If you don't some pastas will soak up the soup too much by the next day.

Ken Anderson and Ruby Begonia like this.
  15. Karen McKenzie

Registered

Wow Ken, sounds like you do a good job :). I must disagree about the celery..lol..my holy trinity for chicken soup is celery, onion, and carrot..I just miss these if they aren't included. I've made soup with leftover chicken, whole chicken..rotisserie..you name it. I added a can of Ro-Tel before and spiced it up..then crushed tortilla strips on top. I like thyme too..

I'm not crazy about rice in chicken soup ..but I've used it if I was out of pasta. I always add broth and bouillon...I love a rich broth. I freeze mine too..in individual servings..and it always gets eaten...:)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Ken Anderson likes this.