How Many Hourly Paid Jobs Have You Had?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have had six but two separate Careers.

My hourly jobs were Theater Usher/Doorman,Super Market stock clerk/bagger. Clothes Washer@ a Washateria. Waxing machine operator at boxing container factory. Office cleaner/janitor.Freight Train unloader for Libby McNeil Libby. Assistant Shipping Receiving Clerk. I was required to join a union for the machine operator job. All the jobs were as a teen ager.

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Three. The first two were simple and fun jobs---a soda fountain person at a drive in ($1.62/hr), and a waitress at a steakhouse ($0.73/hr + tips). 1968

Then I worked for a while at a company in Raleigh, NC, that won contracts through a bidding process. My duties were mostly sample data collection and analysis, and writing technical reports, for several different projects, usually 3, all at the same time.:rolleyes:

You had to keep a record of which project you worked on for every 15 minute period of the day. Tedious and distracting. Then there were "funny" hours, when one project was headed over budget, and the boss would "hint" that you might charge your time on it to another project that was under budget.

That was probably illegal, so needless to say I took a lot of work home with me, so as not to have to do that.

Very stressful. The hourly rate was great, but I hated it. :p

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

I had no real job until I graduated from Electronics school. Sure, repaired others' cars on the side, but nothing serious and on-going. Started at Motorola, Inc. as a colored T-V Phaser. We walked sideways facing the open backs of newly-built TVs moving along on a conveyor belt, watching the results of our adjustments on continuous mirror facing the TV screens. I was young and agile, yet 8 hours of that hurt my feet and legs like nothing I'd felt before. I quit the third day, forget the hourly rate, Co. asked why I was leaving. I told the guy I didn't study Calculus to be doing that work. My Dad was furious!

Next job, and it was my best, was Lab Technician, Gasket Development Lab, Victor Mfg. & Gasket Co. Started hourly at $111 per week. My boss had me taken off the clock very soon.

All jobs following that one were salaried. Except the government jobs, of course!
    Frank