How Intelligent Do You Feel You Are About General Knowledge?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Jack Roberts, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Jack Roberts

Jack Roberts Well-Known Member
    Registered

I know that many of us think that we’re experts on many things but I’m curious as to just how much of your knowledge you think is good and true. Let’s use a scale of 1 - 10 with 1 being not intelligent all all and 10 being smarter than the average bear. I’d rank myself at about 5 on such a scale. I don’t feel as if I’m an imbecile but I’m not usually the smartest guy in the room either. And my knowledge tells me do. I’m not afraid to admit that there are things that I have no clear idea about and I try not to pretend that I do, either by hiding behind circular reasoning or outright lies. So, where do you stand on this scale and if you’d not mind, please share why you think you deserve this rating, high or low. Thank you!

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I Believe I am a nine 9

Jack Roberts likes this.
  3. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've been told I am smarter than I think I am. That probably is quite situational. I'm terrible at debates, can't command facts and figures, prefer to look those up when needed. I retain the essence of information but not always the details. But I'm quick with intuitive connections that must rise from some unconscious or deep seated retention of factual knowledge.

There's a guy at Harvard, Howard Gardner, who has written about multiple intelligences, the idea that we can be smart in one or several realms, but not necessarily in all. He identified 9 types of intelligence:
    1. bodily kinesthetic
    2. existential spiritual
    3. interpersonal
    4. intrapersonal
    5. logical mathematical
    6. musical
    7. naturalistic
    8. verbal linguistic
    9. visual spatial
    https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ891071.pdf

Frank Sanoica and Jack Roberts like this.
  4. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'd have to say I am about a 4, since I usually have a feeling that when I'm in a conversation with someone whose talking the most probably knows more than I do, so I just listen, usually. That's probably because I've always been a little shy, and in large crowds I have trouble "selling myself", and that's one thing that friends of mine always tell me I need to correct. Long story short, I don't have very good social skills.

My wife is just the opposite. She excels at social settings, and seems to love to take people on who seem to know more than anybody else, especially when it comes to politics. Even though I have a math degree, I'm not very good at science, especially biology, which somehow I missed while in school. For example, when I used to debate with students about their agnosticism, they would love to pull out their vast knowledge of quantum mechanics, wave and sub-atomic particles and talk at great length about why they believed in the big bang theory of the creation of the universe, and they also loved to talk about evolution and all the aspects of Darwinism and how, based on their knowledge, that was the only reasonable explanation.

Of course, I spent most of my life in a college setting, so I am only offering my knowledge, or lack of, on those experiences. The one thing, besides math, that I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable in is Christianity (which is not a religion for me) and the Bible, which I've studied for years, and I think I am able to hold my own in that area. Its not a religion (which I consider is philosophy) but the only true way to get to heaven. (sorry, I didn't mean to bring religion into the picture).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As you answer this question about yourself, don't forget the Dunning-Krueger Effect.

6. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Now, I'm going to downgrade my 4 to a 2. I've never heard of that.
    Of course, the effect can't apply to math.

If we have to solve a difficult math problem, we know if we've got it right or not, because if its wrong, we know right away, because it becomes obvious in the context of what we're doing. So one can't have dyscalculia and not know that he/she is afflicted by it.

Now, if you don't know what that is, its a legally recognized disability, where a person has trouble with size, numbers, money and anything with figures in it. One who has it may attain access to learning support. Dyscalculia belongs to a family called Specific Learning Differences (SpLD), which includes dyslexia and dyspraxia.

I know, because some of those in my class had it, and they left the room in a huff, puff, stomping mood, ready to attack anyone who got in their way.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    John Brunner and Ken Anderson like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeah, I'm like a -2. I'm sure there are many people who can tie their shoelaces better than I can.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson

Looking around, I think many would admit that shoelaces are all but passe; most shoes seen (especially mens') have velcro-clasped straps, no laces to tie.

Frank

9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@D'Ellyn Dottir

IMO, given my hard-headed approach to things intangible, such as "smartness", it is not possible to define smartness and intelligence under the same heading. Smartness entails use of learned information, while intelligence defines the degree of ability to use smartness.

Frank

10. D'Ellyn Dottir

Registered

I like that distinction. :cool:

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@D'Ellyn Dottir

But "Smiley" concurs smugly......or, perhaps blindly?

Never forget that "He who.........who he".

Frank

12. D'Ellyn Dottir

Registered

Hmm. Interesting. :cool: doesn't come off as smug to me, but I can see how it could to others. I think I use that one when I mean to convey a kind of special understanding or bond. I like that the sunglasses can suggest a deeper kind of wink.

But I'm lost on the he who....who he thing. o_O

13. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@D'Ellyn Dottir

Relax now! It's just a "part of the plan".

Frank

14. D'Ellyn Dottir

Registered

OKay. I do know how to relax on command! LOL
    And that's been verified by my doc who remarked on how I'd made my blood pressure fall significantly by biorhythmic breathing. :)

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think I’ve written about my x-wife but to refresh the memories:

She was / is probably the most confusing human beings I have ever come across.
    At the age of 17 she was unwinding DNA but she couldn’t balance the check book nor go to the grocery store with a handful of coupons on double coupon day without getting lost.

For her, it was a matter of interest and priorities. She was interested in genetics and was touted as being a savant in her field but everyday life was on the back burner somewhere in the deep recesses of her brain.