How Does Your Country Respond To Bigotry And Hatred?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Billie Lane, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Billie Lane

Billie Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

errrrm...not the British way....maybe just the Birmingham way.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Billie Lane

Billie Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

After the London atrocities the Muslim community made a public demonstration of Unity against Terrorism.
    I currently live in Preston, and regular unity projects are held there, so this is not only Birmingham. these incidents are seldom publicised because thet are not sensational, but they are many and varied.

Terry Page and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

At one time, naive that I was, thought this whole... I hate you because - thing was brought about just before my birth. However, after a few documentaries, and some reading- it has been going on Forever....therefore I think,it may never end.
    I love it, when some nit wit, starts bad mouthing the black people --- I say here, let me show you all of great grand children..all biracial - that usually shuts them up. I have to laugh at stupidity about race...the fact remains- we all are a Heinz 57 as they use to say. There is no such thing as a Pure bred human. Just say'en ...:D

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

America to me is no different from other Countries @Billie Lane. There are those who are bigots and feel hate towards people they don't agree with or understand and there are those who show love and acceptance too. But like you said...the News Media only likes to show the worst and not the best.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  6. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

Here in Canada things are getting antsy. Anti Muslim groups are forming and petitions are flying. It's been over a year now since our Prime Minister opened his arms to refugees and now that the money is running out so is support. And yet this dumbo leader we have thinks Canada should bring more in.

You can't blame people for getting angry. I live in an area with a population of around 200,000 and 15,000 of those are Muslim. Their demands are becoming more and more frequent and I fear that nothing will stop them until we are all praying with our butts in the air facing east.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-far-right-soldiers-of-odin-1.3896175

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

We have plenty of that going on here too and most Americans are not happy about this either.

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that a country's first responsibility is to their own people, and then if we can help other people in/from other countries, we should do that. To me, it is like , as a parent, we are responsible for taking care of our own children first, making sure that they have food and clothing (and love) and then helping other less-fortunate children who need food or new clothes.
    I think that a lot of what is termed "racial hatred" is being fostered on the general public by both the government and the news media. We live in an area with a variety of nationalities, and everyone shops together, and gets along just fine with their neighbors, irrespective of their race.
    The problems come in when people are demanding rights more than other people, just because of their race. This should not be happening, no matter what a person's race is. And if you live next door to someone who is a thief or a trouble maker, and you do not get along, it is because of their behavior and not their race.

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Everyone in the world, and not just America, dislikes bigotry and the exposed bigot. But, no matter the view point on the subjects of race, gender, religion or politics anyone can be regarded as a bigot by someone with an opposing stance.

I say I dislike BLM, the Black Panthers, and the NAACP therefore I MUST be against all black people. I like seeing women on an equal playing field with men, but since I oppose most aspects of abortion I must be a bigot.
    Even though I associate very well with a whole conglomeration of races and religions, but because I am for stronger borders and against ILLEGAL aliens being allowed into my country, I am a bigot to someone.

In order to get along with everyone a person needs to stand in the middle of the figurative road and blind folded so as not to see what is going on around them. They have to agree with whichever way the traffic is going and never flinch at the squeal of breaks or the oft time speeding vehicle.
    The problem with standing in the middle and having no personal beliefs is that at some time or other, someone on either side of the road is going to hit you.

Sadly, we're all bigots to someone especially if you hate trying to be politically correct. It just depends on who you ask.

10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Billie Lane
    I must admit to ignorance here. The portrayal in the link escapes my abilities to understand. Basically, is it stating that Muslim beliefs run contrary to the generally-accepted concepts of humans accepting humans, reacting to differing cultural mores with tolerance and understanding, condoning personal decency?
    Frank

Bobby Cole and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  11. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

That's my experience as well @Yvonne Smith , in my home town we have always had various groups of people from different races/nationalities, it used to be Indian, Caribbean and Italian after WWII.

The Italians have now left and we have a sizeable Polish community and a recent Muslim one, but we all live in harmony, with very few disputes, despite all the lies and hype peddled by our largely corrupt media run by bigots, especially a couple of awful newspapers who shall remain nameless, who love to stir up both racial and nationalistic issues for their own nefarious ends.

I have stayed with many Muslim, Hindu and Christian families during my travels, and though they each have their own rules and rituals, they have never tried to impose them on me. Also outside of the tourist industry, they seem to live side by side in harmonious communities.

Yes I agree @Gloria Mitchell we are all mixed race in reality, and because I feel these racial/nationalistic prejudices come from a primitive part of our brains, dating back to tribal/survival times, we are unlikely to change until the human race evolves beyond this basically animal function of our psyche.......

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

To me, human bias toward race, religion, etc is simply an opaque overlay of the true reality of the tendency all of us have of feeling somehow superior to someone else. No matter the country or township a sort of caste system is in play which designates how high up on the proverbial totem pole a person is situated. The higher up a person is, the more people he or she can look down upon. i.e. white collar versus blue collar or highly educated versus apprentice based or OJT knowledge and training.

A good example might be a forum my wife and I left about a year ago which is based solely on a person's IQ. Although we left for a miriade of reasons, a large complaint I had was that anyone with an IQ less than 120 was considered an "other" or "a lesser". In general, no one had a problem with my registered quotient and I was even accorded some misplaced reverence. That said, what they all hated was my thought that everyone, no matter the intelligence level, has something to offer society in a very positive fashion and should be treated with equal status.

If each person can conquer their own idea that they are superior to another human being for any reason at all then the root of the problem will die and the visual biases will disappear with it. Is that a viable and possible task?
    Dunno, that answer lays within each of us.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know about that. A few months ago, I seen a picture online of a young black kid hugging a white cop. That photo was on our local news. But, you are right, mostly showing the worst, not the best.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

One thing I want to say here is, some folks must live in a diverse city with all kinds of diverse food restaurants around, while others don't need (or want) all that diversity around them. That is why some folks desire living in Wyoming, Idaho, North and South Dakota, where the diversity is rather low. I believe that should be left up to the individual of where they want to live, not be criticized for where they want to live. To me, this is a matter of choice and that's all.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

Three years ago I would not have posted as I did in the above post. At that time I had and still do have friends that originated from Pakistan....good friends, not just acquaintances. I stayed in their home, was auntie to their kids. They adopted the Canadian lifestyle, you might say they embraced it, in spite of difficulties at first they made an attempt to fit in. We knew the husband first and stayed with him every step of the way through the more than two years it took for him to bring his wife and kids over. What a celebration we had on that happy day.

Today however, is different. Screening does not take years and the ones coming today still continue in the old ways, will shove you without apology while shopping. Demands for prayer rooms in schools, in the work place, the list is endless.

And the biggest problem I have is that as a volunteer in a food bank run by a church they make special demands for halal food, if it has pork, they don't want it. Someone want to explain to me how since they have absolutely no Christian faith they can go to a Christian church for a handout. Their own people should, but don't set up a system to help them and believe you me there are plenty of their kind able to lend a helping hand. Instead they leave it to us.