How Does The Follow Feature Work?

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Faye Fox, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I decided to follow a few that intrigue me with interesting or fun post. I was expecting to see something I could click on to see their recent post, but I cannot find such. What are the benefits of following someone? Thanks.

Frank Sanoica and Bess Barber like this.
  2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I never knew the reason either. I go with the 'new posts' option.

Frank Sanoica and Faye Fox like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I haven’t followed anyone on this forum but on one I was on I was alerted each time the person I followed posted.

If anything else, it’s nice to know who the people are who are interested in you because it says on your profile who your followers are.

Maybe there’s a trophy for having the most followers or maybe it’s a good way to start a movement of some sort. “Workers of the World, Unite!”

Faye Fox and Bess Barber like this.
  4. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

OK @Faye Fox Let's go follow each other. At least we will both have ONE person. :p

Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There was a time in my life when I had a whole slew of followers. Ya know how many people work for the IRS? :D

6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Already been following you sis! Big sis has got your back.

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Faye Fox @Bess Barber
    Ah, boy! The nicest ladies will be "ganging up" on the fear-mongers, like me.......this might be like "Heaven or Hell".......

The latter is the one I've been closest to for a mighty long time, and the former I've had much too little of.......I wish I may, I wish I might,

Move about near Heaven for just one night!
    Frank

Bess Barber likes this.
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Be very careful what you wish for Frank!

Bess Barber likes this.
  9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Seriously can anyone explain how following works on this forum?

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

All that I can see that it does, is show me more specifically who is online. In the little box on the right side, where it says “members online”, the first thing is tells me is “people you follow”, and it shows their avatar.
    Underneath that is the regular list of people who are also online, so even if I am not following someone , I can still see that they are online, but it does not show me their avatar.
    Other than that, I have not noticed that it does anything, but maybe @Ken Anderson can explain how following works ?

11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you! That is what I figured out. Maybe just easier to see they are online.

Another question. Is there anyway to block a follower? I have one that is unidentified and has made no post? I get the feeling, more of a stalker than a follower. However if they can't see anything more than my avatar photo when I am online, then not much to worry about.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

When you click on his empty avatar circle, it shows his name, @Faye Fox , and then you can see his profile. I don’t know if we can block followers or not, that is another question for Ken to address when he reads this thread.
    However, it looks like this person signed up around the end of August and has not been back since the first part of September, so he probably is not someone you have to be concerned about.
    The ignore feature only stops you from seeing another person’s posts, and I am not sure but I think that you might be able to set your profile so that only some people can see it.
    I have never tried to do any of that, so I don’t have much helpful information for you.

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

When you are following someone, it makes their posts/likes visible in "Your News Feed," unless they run with their online status invisible, and I am not certain about that last part because I haven't used that feature. If you click into your profile, you'll see an option for "Your News Feed."

Mostly, in a larger forum, it gives you a list of people who you might feel an affinity for. When someone is new to the forum, it can be hard to keep track of who it was whose posts you have enjoyed, particularly when names are changed, keeping in mind that, on some forums, members are allowed to change their usernames every day if they want to.

Plus, if you are going to be away from the forum for a few days, you might not want to catch up on everything that was posted by everyone while you were gone, but you can more easily catch up on posts made by people who you are following.

As far as I am aware, that's about all that it does. It doesn't mean that they are following you home, or driving behind you on the street.

It is fairly easy to accidentally "follow" someone, especially on a small screen, given that the "follow" button is right next to the "start conversation" button. I don't "follow" anyone because I try to follow everyone yet, from time to time, I will find someone in my follow list.

You can remove the names of people who you are following but not those of people who are following you.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

@Faye Fox There is another thread where several ladies apparently got a message from a gentleman who was a new member. Maybe he didn't know how to work the site or.............who knows? How much can anyone stalk you on a forum??? :D

@Frank Sanoica I was reading all your posts even if I wasn't officially following you because I hadn't used that feature. BUT, consider yourself 'followed' as of now. :)

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Faye Fox

Aww, sh!t! Now I'M about to be blocked......!
    Frank